Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View God particle found by Europeans
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 2:22PM #11
McAtheist

ken  What does she think.....

If I answer that honestly, I suspect someone will delete this post.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 2:27PM #12
d_p_m

Jul 2, 2012 -- 2:18PM, Midutch wrote:

Jul 2, 2012 -- 12:42PM, iamachildofhis wrote:

Science interest is stifled by the evolution indoctrination in the public classrooms, churches, media, etc.

They indoctrinate the Theory of Evolution in churches? Really? You must be going to the wrong church.

Well, we might, but then again the ToE is so obviously true, we don't bother. If I thought that people didn't understand evolution, I might be tempted to advocate a bit of education, but it really isn't needed in our circles.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."
― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-- Albert Einstein

"If one is going to engage with the primordial forces of darkness, one must expect a bit of social awkwardness."
-- Penny Dreadful, season one, episode two
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 2:45PM #13
McAtheist

d_p_m:Well, we might, but then again the ToE is so obviously true, we don't bother. If I thought that people didn't understand evolution, I might be tempted to advocate a bit of education, but it really isn't needed in our circles.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  The first time someone said to me "If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" I chuckled because I thought they were being funny.  Then I goggled at them like they were an alien life form when they convinced me they were serious.

There are still parts of the world view of YECism that I just don't get.  And maybe that's a good thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 3:00PM #14
MMarcoe

The USofA is going down the tubes, scientifically, morally, socially, financially, ecconomically, ...

Well, here's that classic YEC despair, which YECs dream up not because it's true but because it gives YECs a justification and a mental playground for sexual and social perversions.

Society is MORE moral, more scientific, more advanced, more connected, and wealthier than at any time ever.

And you know it.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 3:03PM #15
MMarcoe

iama:  The USofA is without money!

The Creature From Jekyll Island (by G. Edward Griffin)

The public education system, regarding science, is feeding students lies, which they are believing, and the society has fallen socially. 

Manufacturing has left the land and is overseas, so that the technologies and their human skills, are no longer there to be passed down to youth to replace them.  The knowledge base has left the nation.

Why should "but animals" have any interest in scientific research and science technologies?

Science interest is stifled by the evolution indoctrination in the public classrooms, churches, media, etc.

The USofA is going down the tubes, scientifically, morally, socially, financially, ecconomically, ...

Don't go blaming that which you have denied / rejected / derided /  for years!

The evolutionary worldview has helped us view women and minorities as human beings, and it has helped us see the environment as something good -- not as dirty, second-class trash, which is what the YEC view taught for many centuries.

The only reason that fundies are slowly changing their views on minorities, women, and the environment is that evos and other liberally minded people convinced them that it's the right thing to do.

Evolution will help save fundies from all their worst characteristics.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 3:04PM #16
wohali

Iama:

"Don't go blaming that which you have denied / rejected / derided /  for years!"

This is excellent advice for our YEC friends.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 3:04PM #17
Midutch

Jul 2, 2012 -- 2:27PM, d_p_m wrote:

Jul 2, 2012 -- 2:18PM, Midutch wrote:

They indoctrinate the Theory of Evolution in churches? Really? You must be going to the wrong church.

Well, we might, but then again the ToE is so obviously true, we don't bother. If I thought that people didn't understand evolution, I might be tempted to advocate a bit of education, but it really isn't needed in our circles.

Nor mine (when my family were still church goers). Seriously, I had no idea that "fundamentalist christian creationists" even existed anymore in large numbers for the longest time.

I never heard of it coming up when my parents used to talk about the "old country", nor was it ever an issue when we got to the Netherlands. I never came across it growing up in Colorado either, even with my very religious friends and classmates.

It really wasn't until around 12 years ago here in Michigan that I even realized that there were any "christians" that had this anti-science agenda.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 3:13PM #18
rsielin

The truth of the matter it's creationsim that's going down the tubes, scientifically, morally, socially, financially, ecconmically. You're just blind to that truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 4:05PM #19
d_p_m

Jul 2, 2012 -- 2:45PM, McAtheist wrote:

d_p_m:Well, we might, but then again the ToE is so obviously true, we don't bother. If I thought that people didn't understand evolution, I might be tempted to advocate a bit of education, but it really isn't needed in our circles.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  The first time someone said to me "If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?"

What is it about YECism that breaks the ability to perform simple logical reasoning? One would think that YECs should be able to reason, as long as the answer does not falsify YECism... but it doesn't seem to be so.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."
― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-- Albert Einstein

"If one is going to engage with the primordial forces of darkness, one must expect a bit of social awkwardness."
-- Penny Dreadful, season one, episode two
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 5:42PM #20
Ken

Jul 2, 2012 -- 4:05PM, d_p_m wrote:

Jul 2, 2012 -- 2:45PM, McAtheist wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean.  The first time someone said to me "If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?"

What is it about YECism that breaks the ability to perform simple logical reasoning? One would think that YECs should be able to reason, as long as the answer does not falsify YECism... but it doesn't seem to be so.

Has it occurred to you that they may not be the brightest lights on the Christmas tree?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook