Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why the YEC creation myth and not the Norse or Sioux or Hindu creation myth?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 12:22AM #1
McAtheist

I completely understand that theists of any particular faith believe that what their religion teaches about origins is the correct version.

But given that there are many, many of these creation stories, what objective reason is there to for any non-YEC person to elevate the YEC interpretation of the Bible over all those other stories, unless there is actual evidence to support it?

And since no such evidence exists and a great deal of evidence that strongly contradicts the YEC interpretation, why should any non-YEC ever give the slightest credence to the YEC "model?"  Why should it be taught in classes when objectively it is no better supported than the creation stories of Scientology?

Why do YECs think that their particular myth should get preferential treatment over all those other stories that are objectively equally valid?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 1:55PM #2
MMarcoe

Jun 25, 2012 -- 12:22AM, McAtheist wrote:

I completely understand that theists of any particular faith believe that what their religion teaches about origins is the correct version.

But given that there are many, many of these creation stories, what objective reason is there to for any non-YEC person to elevate the YEC interpretation of the Bible over all those other stories, unless there is actual evidence to support it?

And since no such evidence exists and a great deal of evidence that strongly contradicts the YEC interpretation, why should any non-YEC ever give the slightest credence to the YEC "model?"  Why should it be taught in classes when objectively it is no better supported than the creation stories of Scientology?

Why do YECs think that their particular myth should get preferential treatment over all those other stories that are objectively equally valid?

Because Jesus sat down at his desk one day and wrote the YEC Genesis story. We know that because the Bible says --

Oh, sorry. The Bible doesn't say that Jesus wrote it. Well, in any case, the Bible says that the YEC story has to be true if Jesus is to be able to save us--

What? It doesn't? Shoot. Well, then ... I don't know.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 2:38PM #3
d_p_m
I am really tempted to say that it's because YECs have really, really bad taste in myths.

I mean look at it - one god, who goes around making life miserable for everyone who isn't a total sycophantic suck-up, with occasional deific massacres, and god approved slaughters to enliven the otherwise boring existence, leading finally to either permanent incarceration on a cloud, or incessant torture for all eternity. Really, really, really bad taste in myths, and deities.
PHARAOH IRY-HOR, FROM THE 3100s BC, IS THE FIRST HUMAN WHOSE NAME WE KNOW.

-- cool facts from xkcd

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 4:16PM #4
Ed_3

Well, I think it's because the YECs believe that there story is the oldest story, therefore it is the correct story.

And even though it wasn't officially written down until the year 1500 BCE, the YECs claim that the oral traditions that existed before the written version were documented...span all the way back to the creation of man...which according to YECs was 6000 years ago.

Therefore, technically speaking, YECs creation story goes back 6000 years ago...all the way back to the creation of man.

However though...I have some conflicting information concerning that which says:

Hinduism: Since Sanskrit is the oldest written language, as far as religion being written down, and as far as organized religion is concerned, it would be Hinduism. It is said that when Rama appeared, according to our calendar, was a million or so years ago (not sure of the exact date, but it's a long time!) And Krishna, God himself according to the Vedic scriptures, appeared here 5,000 years ago. Buddha, about 500 B.C., Jesus, about 2,000 years ago. If you go through the different religious book and study this question deeply, you will find out that Hinduism is the oldest religion of the world. There are no dates and facts, but its history is about more than 50000 thousands years ago.

Also, in the article, there are other dates and religions that also go back farther than the Bible's creation story...both written and oral.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 4:58PM #5
Ken

Jun 25, 2012 -- 4:16PM, Ed_3 wrote:

Well, I think it's because the YECs believe that there story is the oldest story, therefore it is the correct story.

And even though it wasn't officially written down until the year 1500 BCE, the YECs claim that the oral traditions that existed before the written version were documented...span all the way back to the creation of man...which according to YECs was 6000 years ago.

According to the latest scholarship, it wasn't written down until the sixth century BCE. Hesiod's Theogony is older.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 4:58PM #6
MMarcoe

Therefore, technically speaking, YECs creation story goes back 6000 years ago...all the way back to the creation of man.

However though...I have some conflicting information concerning that which says:

Hinduism: Since Sanskrit is the oldest written language, as far as religion being written down, and as far as organized religion is concerned, it would be Hinduism. It is said that when Rama appeared, according to our calendar, was a million or so years ago (not sure of the exact date, but it's a long time!) And Krishna, God himself according to the Vedic scriptures, appeared here 5,000 years ago. Buddha, about 500 B.C., Jesus, about 2,000 years ago. If you go through the different religious book and study this question deeply, you will find out that Hinduism is the oldest religion of the world. There are no dates and facts, but its history is about more than 50000 thousands years ago.

Also, in the article, there are other dates and religions that also go back farther than the Bible's creation story...both written and oral.

Creationists will tell you that Satan is deceiving us by making it look like those stories are older.

The Satan card -- it's everywhere a YEC wants to be!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 6:11PM #7
Ed_3

Jun 25, 2012 -- 4:58PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Creationists will tell you that Satan is deceiving us by making it look like those stories are older.

The Satan card -- it's everywhere a YEC wants to be!

Wow! Sounds better than Visa! Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 6:16PM #8
Truman47

It's really not hard to understand how YECs can do this as they have such a magic world view and "God" simply fills in what the authors didn't/couldn't know.  When "God" dictates the words to the authors then there's nothing to question and it's gotta be absolutely right when it comes out of the mouth of "God".  . . . right?  Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 6:46PM #9
MMarcoe

Jun 25, 2012 -- 6:16PM, Truman47 wrote:

It's really not hard to understand how YECs can do this as they have such a magic world view and "God" simply fills in what the authors didn't/couldn't know.  When "God" dictates the words to the authors then there's nothing to question and it's gotta be absolutely right when it comes out of the mouth of "God".  . . . right?  Wink

And yet when it comes to the odds against "the right mutation in just the right place, over and over again," 57 doesn't want God to step in and do that.

Gotta love that irony.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 12:43AM #10
Vistronic

3 major world religions, have this creation story.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook