Page 13 of 18  •  Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Scientist: Evolution debate will soon be history
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 4:10PM #121
McAtheist

midutch: Odd (not really) that you fail to note that the VAST majority of "anti-creationism" ... "guys" ... are THEISTS who are IN NO WAY interested in abandoning faith in whatever God they whorship.

That is an excellent point. 

Conflating "belief in evolution" with "atheism" is a popular --- and very dishonest --- YEC technique; I find t's use of it a better fit for someone who just wants to take potshots at atheism than someone who claims to dislike the "rigidity" of both sides of the YEC debate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 4:17PM #122
wohali

The "debate" has been over for some time now.

We're left with luddites screaming and waving their arms about, railing against evolution and rational people on the other side.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 4:29PM #123
d_p_m

May 30, 2012 -- 4:17PM, wohali wrote:

The "debate" has been over for some time now.

We're left with luddites screaming and waving their arms about, railing against evolution and rational people on the other side.

Hand on there a minute, Wohali -

-----------------------------------------------

From Wikipedia:

"The Luddites were a social movement of 19th-century English textile artisans who protested – often by destroying mechanized looms – against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution, that replaced them with less-skilled, low-wage labour, and which they felt were leaving them without work and changing their way of life. Eric Hobsbawm called machine wrecking: "collective bargaining by riot". It had been used in Britain since the Restoration as, due to the scattering of manufactories throughout different regions, large-scale strikes were impractical.[1] The movement was named after Ned Ludd, a youth who had allegedly smashed two stocking frames thirty years earlier, and whose name had become emblematic of machine destroyers.[2][3][4] "

--------------------------------------------

So, the Luddites were swimming against the stream of technological change, and their choice of methodology was perhaps not optimal, but it doesn't look like they were totally irrational and divorced from reality.

I think you may have insulted the Luddites by comparing them to modern YECists.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 4:55PM #124
wohali

DPM, I stand corrected!

My apologies to any luddites that I may have offended.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 4:56PM #125
teilhard

Yes ... You EXACTLY make my Point ...

"We REACH ... !!!"

-- that "Hippie" Guy, to "Spock," in that "Star Trek" Episode

To fully embrace The Discoveries of The Natural Sciences is in NO Respect anything at all AGAINST Religious Faith ...

We AGREE ...

May 30, 2012 -- 3:40PM, Midutch wrote:

May 29, 2012 -- 11:32PM, teilhard wrote:

But, see ...

The "Evolution" vs. "Creation" Debates COULD be defused of their deep wrenching Emotional-Spiritual Struggle Aspect if-only-if-only The Anti-"Creation-ism" Guys would STOP-STOP-STOP the constant Drumbeat which sounds very much like the Song, "Just let us teach 'Darwin' to your Kids, and they'll ABANDON their Faith in 'God'" ...

Odd (not really) that you fail to note that the VAST majority of "anti-creationism" ... "guys" ... are THEISTS who are IN NO WAY interested in abandoning faith in whatever God they whorship.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 7:17PM #126
Midutch

May 30, 2012 -- 4:56PM, teilhard wrote:

"We REACH ... !!!"

To fully embrace The Discoveries of The Natural Sciences is in NO Respect anything at all AGAINST Religious Faith ...

We AGREE ...

But, see ...

The "Evolution" vs. "Creation" Debates COULD be defused of their deep wrenching Emotional-Spiritual Struggle Aspect if-only-if-only The Anti-"Creation-ism" Guys would STOP-STOP-STOP the constant Drumbeat which sounds very much like the Song, "Just let us teach 'Darwin' to your Kids, and they'll ABANDON their Faith in 'God'" ...

Odd (not really) that you fail to note that the VAST majority of "anti-creationism" ... "guys" ... are THEISTS who are IN NO WAY interested in abandoning faith in whatever God they whorship.

Which makes your rants against the A-theists even more revolting.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 7:43PM #127
teilhard

***Please specify a Post in which I "rant" re: "Atheists" ... ???

Obviously, I DISAGREE with The Atheists re: The "God" Question, but I certainly don't "rant" about "Atheists" ...

May 30, 2012 -- 7:17PM, Midutch wrote:

May 30, 2012 -- 4:56PM, teilhard wrote:

"We REACH ... !!!"

We AGREE ...

But, see ...

***Which makes your rants against the A-theists even more revolting.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 7:53PM #128
williejhonlo

Until someone can create life, I don't see the debate ever ending.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 7:55PM #129
rsielin

May 30, 2012 -- 7:53PM, williejhonlo wrote:

Don't hold  your breath, they're well on their way.  molbio.mgh.harvard.edu/szostakweb/ 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2012 - 8:13PM #130
d_p_m

May 30, 2012 -- 7:53PM, williejhonlo wrote:

That won't do it. They'll just claim that creating life proves it was designed. Twits.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 13 of 18  •  Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook