Page 1 of 54  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 54 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pure intellectual freedom
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 8:08PM #1
rsielin

All those who have NOT succumbed to that intellectually fatal first falsehood – namely that all of Christian scripture is complete literal fact from cover to cover – are free to examine the evidence and follow wherever it leads, unencumbered by any intellectually paralyzing bias. They can even change positions as new evidence is found, presented and confirmed that may lead in a promising direction. Nothing set in concrete here. No position is forced but depends solely on the strength and implications of the evidence.

It’s such a joy to embrace the academic world of ideas and explorations competing for the grail of knowledge, piece by piece. Pure intellectual freedom.

OTOH, creationists wear an intellectual straight jacket. There is no freedom to explore, all energies go into a circle-the-wagons mentality to defend and protect the lie of the first falsehood.  Rather than be immersed in the joy of pure discovery they are terrified for the next knowledge shoe to drop.

Nested hierarchies, radiometric dating, new fossils, genome sequencing data, hubble space telescope, large hadron collider; each and everyone are devastating threats rather than opportunities for intellectual growth. Pure intellectual hell. 

You do what you want, but I'll choose intellectual freedom everytime. The rewards are too great to pass up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 3:22AM #2
CaliberCadillac

May 3, 2012 -- 8:08PM, rsielin wrote:

All those who have NOT succumbed to that intellectually fatal first falsehood – namely that all of Christian scripture is complete literal fact from cover to cover – are free to examine the evidence and follow wherever it leads, unencumbered by any intellectually paralyzing bias. They can even change positions as new evidence is found, presented and confirmed that may lead in a promising direction. Nothing set in concrete here. No position is forced but depends solely on the strength and implications of the evidence.

It’s such a joy to embrace the academic world of ideas and explorations competing for the grail of knowledge, piece by piece. Pure intellectual freedom.

OTOH, creationists wear an intellectual straight jacket. There is no freedom to explore, all energies go into a circle-the-wagons mentality to defend and protect the lie of the first falsehood.  Rather than be immersed in the joy of pure discovery they are terrified for the next knowledge shoe to drop.

Nested hierarchies, radiometric dating, new fossils, genome sequencing data, hubble space telescope, large hadron collider; each and everyone are devastating threats rather than opportunities for intellectual growth. Pure intellectual hell. 

You do what you want, but I'll choose intellectual freedom everytime. The rewards are too great to pass up.

I'm fascinated by nested hierarchies, radiometric dating, new fossils, genome sequencing data, the hubble space telescope, the large hadron collider, and many other scientific subjects. All are good things and all have provided relevant important information on human origins, the history of the universe, and the nature of matter.

Now, why exactly am I supposed to feel so "devastatingly threatened" by them? I don’t--I love that stuff! In fact, I have a degree in science.

I also love Jesus, Christian theology, theistic philosophy, and--of course--The Holy Bible. 

So what are you going to do about it?  Tell me I cant believe those things? Tell me that I'm not allowed into your "smart people only" club?  And you talk of 'intellectual freedom?' 

What a joke!

"Sometimes you gotta step into the ring and throw a few punches for what you believe in."

--Ernest Hemingway--
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 7:26AM #3
EarthScientist

L2read

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 7:46AM #4
rsielin

May 6, 2012 -- 3:22AM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

Now, why exactly am I supposed to feel so "devastatingly threatened" by them? I don’t--I love that stuff! In fact, I have a degree in science. 

I also love Jesus, Christian theology, theistic philosophy, and--of course--The Holy Bible. 

So what are you going to do about it?  Tell me I cant believe those things? Tell me that I'm not allowed into your "smart people only" club?  And you talk of 'intellectual freedom?' 

You're mistaken; of course you can love and believe whatever you want.

But even for scientists such as you - and you of all people should know this - it's that when you are doing real science, you really do have to get your science right or you fail; flunked your science, so to speak. Honestly, it's as simple as that.

And we all know, real science done correctly, is devastating for the creationism expressed by all our YEC friends here.  They've succumbed to that intellectually fatal first falsehood – namely that all of Christian scripture is complete literal science fact from cover to cover; a strait jacket with zero degrees of intellectual freedom. 

Again I choose intellectual freedom. You can too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 9:42AM #5
Ken

May 6, 2012 -- 3:22AM, CaliberCadillac wrote:

I'm fascinated by nested hierarchies, radiometric dating, new fossils, genome sequencing data, the hubble space telescope, the large hadron collider, and many other scientific subjects. All are good things and all have provided relevant important information on human origins, the history of the universe, and the nature of matter.

What a joke!

Are you a young earth creationist? If not, Rsielin wasn't talking about you. Try taking that chip off your shoulder for a change.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 9:48AM #6
rsielin

Question for Caliber.  

Since you're a real scientist and a creationist, are you producing any original research supporting Genesis science? Have you any new evidence that would support the recent but thoroughly refuted by real scientists RATE study?

If you have, what peer reviewed science journals have you published in? I am very interessted in your work. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 10:00AM #7
Ken

May 6, 2012 -- 9:48AM, rsielin wrote:

Question for Caliber.  

Since you're a real scientist and a creationist, are you producing any original research supporting Genesis science? Have you any new evidence that would support the recent but thoroughly refuted by real scientists RATE study?

If you have, what peer reviewed science journals have you published in? I am very interessted in your work. 

Is he a creationist?

I don't think he's a scientist. He says he has a degree in some unspecified field of science, but that's not the same thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 10:15AM #8
rsielin

May 6, 2012 -- 10:00AM, Ken wrote:

Is he a creationist?

Maybe, maybe not. His profile says, "I am throughly convinced of the Infallibility of Gods Word". As for being a real scientist, I was giving him the benefit of doubt. He was using his degree as a credential. 

If he's not engaged in active research in science, then he really doesn't have much of a credible leg to stand on to challenge the current science on "nested hierarchies, radiometric dating, new fossils, genome sequencing data, the hubble space telescope, the large hadron collider, and many other scientific subjects". And the current science on those IS devastating to creation science, the very point he was challenging. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 11:20AM #9
Blü

I have no difficulty with someone mentioning that they have a tertiary degree in science.

My difficulties arise when the claim is inconsistent with that person's posts.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 1:31PM #10
teilhard

The entire "Creation-ism" Enterprise is like The Old Model Aristotelian Solar System ... You CAN "make it work" -- but only with enough ad hoc Circles-within-Circles-within-Circles ...

May 3, 2012 -- 8:08PM, rsielin wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 54  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 54 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook