2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 4:07PM #1
Faustus5

I exchanged personal emails with him enough times that I'm 90% certain this sad link refers to the poster we knew as Nosoul, among other names. I hope I'm wrong, but there are just too many details that match what I knew about him, both from his long posting history on Beliefnet and what little I received via email.

I got a shiver up my spine when I realized that his last post as "Don't Be Captious" was on the day the guy in the link died, and there's no way he would have started a thread and then not returned after so many replies. It's got to be him.

Bummer. At least it explains why he hasn't posted for years.

Also worrisome for me was that he died of a heart attack while only a few years younger than me, and I recently found out I have frighteningly high cholesterol levels. I was already keen to fix that, am even more so now!

www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsminer/obit...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 7:48PM #2
Blü

A great pity.  I remember him for numerous stimulating conversations and - not least - arguments.  As the obit puts it -

Jim was imaginative and caring, a sometimes unconventional idealist who lived in a world of thoughts and hopes for a better future. With his razor-sharp mind, he was equally passionate about debating philosophy, concepts of Star Trek or talking about the weekend's football games.

Though we never got round to the football games.

Thanks for drawing this to attention, Faustus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 8:54PM #3
Faustus5

I am strangely really depressed about this. I don't know why.

Maybe because I am reminded about my own mortality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 9:23PM #4
Blü

... never send to know for whom the bell tolls

Yes, I know the feeling, and yes, it's greatly amplified when, as here, it's untimely.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 9:35PM #5
farragut

Aye, a shame. Here we have missed him all this time but did not know why.

He is on my short list of the best of people, as are you two.

As a 73-year-old, however, I am not reminded of mortality; I am already keenly aware. I hope to go as honorably as did Fiterman.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 11:16PM #6
Blü

It seems to me through the lens of memory that NoSoul was a tetchy fella, quick to take offence but persuadable to return.  The later Don't Be Captious was a slightly more mellow version.

Sadly missed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 3:46PM #7
newchurchguy

F5,

Thanks so much for posting the link.  It was great to learn how much he had done in his short life.  He was strongly cerebral guy -- but now we now he was likewise; a strong and physical man.

I surely benefited from contact with Nosoul and his points of view.

Apr 22, 2012 -- 4:07PM, Faustus5 wrote:

I exchanged personal emails with him enough times that I'm 90% certain this sad link refers to the poster we knew as Nosoul, among other names. I hope I'm wrong, but there are just too many details that match what I knew about him, both from his long posting history on Beliefnet and what little I received via email.

I got a shiver up my spine when I realized that his last post as "Don't Be Captious" was on the day the guy in the link died, and there's no way he would have started a thread and then not returned after so many replies. It's got to be him.

Bummer. At least it explains why he hasn't posted for years.

Also worrisome for me was that he died of a heart attack while only a few years younger than me, and I recently found out I have frighteningly high cholesterol levels. I was already keen to fix that, am even more so now!

www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsminer/obit...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 11:22PM #8
teilhard

Amen ... May he Rest in Peace ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 12:43AM #9
Faustus5

Upon further thought, the reason why this news has thrown me into an emotional funk is the torture of knowing that such a bright, energetic, and idealistic person could cheerfully post a new discussion thread here and then be dead within the hour before reading a single reply.

His only internet access was via the computers at the college that employed him.  He would have finished his shift, logged on to start the thread on block universes, then gathered his stuff and gone to the gym where he suffered his heart attack and died.

Your number can come up at any moment, folks.  I know it is a cliche, but this has hammered the reality of that fact into my brain like no other event in my life. I keep reading the post he wrote on the day he died wishing I could hop into a time machine and warn him. But then, what the hell would I say?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 11:13AM #10
teilhard

An increasingly frequent Mortality Reminder for Guys of MY Age is attending more and more Funerals of Relatives, Classmates, Colleagues and Friends ... One of my favorite Teachers, (the Late) Dr. John Brantner, once bemusedly reflected that he knew he had passed an important Life Milestone when he realized that he knew more People who were DEAD than who were still Alive ...

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook