Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen (R) says Earth is 6,000 years old.
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 3:09PM #21
Ken

Apr 20, 2012 -- 2:35PM, Oncomintrain wrote:

Apr 20, 2012 -- 1:57PM, Ken wrote:

Patience isn't infinite. Keep in mind that creationists aren't supposed to be here. They were supposed to have gone into a permanent decline after the Scopes trial in 1925, and by now they should have disappeared. I never heard about them when I was growing up except in reference to the Scopes trial. Then in the 1980s they started popping up left and right. Now they're everywhere, and that's just wrong.

Hey, I don't love it either... at all. It pisses the hell out of me, actually. But brainwashing is the problem, not the solution. Two wrongs don't make a left.

I don't mind if they just pretend they're not creationists, as long as they do it thoroughly and consistently. If they want to stick their heads under the blankets late at night and whisper "The earth is six thousand years old," that's all right with me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 3:11PM #22
Oncomintrain

Apr 20, 2012 -- 3:09PM, Ken wrote:

I don't mind if they just pretend they're not creationists, as long as they do it thoroughly and consistently. If they want to stick their heads under the blankets late at night and whisper "The earth is six thousand years old," that's all right with me.

Yes... because repression has proven so effective in so many other fields.

Sounds a lot like "I don't care if people are gay, but do they have to be all gay in public?"

Sounds like you're trying to institute a scientific DADT.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 3:30PM #23
Ken

Apr 20, 2012 -- 3:11PM, Oncomintrain wrote:

Apr 20, 2012 -- 3:09PM, Ken wrote:

Sounds a lot like "I don't care if people are gay, but do they have to be all gay in public?"

It's more like "I don't care if people pick their nose and eat it, but do they have to pick their nose and eat it in public?" In that case, repression has worked very well. People do it, but they're careful not to let you see them doing it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 4:17PM #24
Oncomintrain

Apr 20, 2012 -- 3:30PM, Ken wrote:

It's more like "I don't care if people pick their nose and eat it, but do they have to pick their nose and eat it in public?" In that case, repression has worked very well. People do it, but they're careful not to let you see them doing it.

You're just lucky the Bible doesn't say anything about nose-picking, or the Evangelicals would be sticking boogers on everything.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 1:55PM #25
lucaspa

Apr 20, 2012 -- 1:57PM, Ken wrote:

Patience isn't infinite. Keep in mind that creationists aren't supposed to be here. They were supposed to have gone into a permanent decline after the Scopes trial in 1925, and by now they should have disappeared. I never heard about them when I was growing up except in reference to the Scopes trial. Then in the 1980s they started popping up left and right. Now they're everywhere, and that's just wrong.

After the Scopes trial, creationism was still taught and evolution was NOT.  Scopes lost, remember?  It's 1963 before evolution is mandated and creationism excluded. 

It was the introduction of new biology books in 1965 that spurred creationists to become more vocal.  Those biology books, for the first time, emphasized evolution.   Whitomb and Morris' The Genesis Flood was published in 1968.  But yes, creationists got more vocal in the 1980s following the 1982 McLean vs Arkansas ruling prohibiting YEC from the science classroom.  Fundamentalism (and conservatism in general) was also growing.  And we still have it.  The usual pattern has been that creationists act in secret but once they are out in public, are defeated.  With the rise of the Tea Party, we will have to see if that continues.

But seriously, do you REALLY want to start the precedent of "re-education camps"? 

"If sound science appears to contradict the Bible, we may be sure that it is our interpretation of the Bible that is at fault."  Christian Observer, 1832, pg. 437

"Christians should look on evolution simply as the method by which God works."  James McCosh, theologian and President of Princeton, The Religious Aspects of Evolution, 2d ed. 1890, pg 68.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook