Page 7 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 6:10PM #61
steven_guy

Apr 13, 2012 -- 2:33PM, wohali wrote:

The Pacific Northwest Indians don't have a flood story, they have a tsunami story because that is what has affected them.

Various Aboriginal peoples here in Australia have myths about great droughts. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 6:22PM #62
amcolph

Apr 13, 2012 -- 6:10PM, steven_guy wrote:

The Pacific Northwest Indians don't have a flood story, they have a tsunami story because that is what has affected them.

I bet they tell them as having encompassed the whole world.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 6:33PM #63
steven_guy

Apr 13, 2012 -- 6:22PM, amcolph wrote:

Apr 13, 2012 -- 6:10PM, steven_guy wrote:

I bet they tell them as having encompassed the whole world.

True. The Dreamtime legends describe the entire earth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 3:01AM #64
iamachildofhis

Apr 13, 2012 -- 1:23PM, Sigmund wrote:

Sigmund: iama,  do you have any idea WHY most cultures have a flood myth and someone saving people?

It is because most cultures arise around water sources which flood occasionally. When uniformed (not stupid) people see the devestation this causes, it is not unreasonable for them to think that the whole world was flooded instead of just their portion of it. And, seeing that someone survived their local flood, it is not unreasonable to invent stories about how people might survive a global flood.

iama:  Not so!

All human beings are here / alive, today, because they are descendant of the sons of Noah and their wives.  When our Noah-ancestors moved away from the Tower of Babel region, they took with them The Flood history.  Certainly, their The Flood history has changed over the thousands of years since The Flood.  But, all peoples of the Earth have a flood story, because there was a world wide flood which wiped out all air-breathing land life-forms except for those on The Ark.

Many of the stories of a flood, have similar elements to the biblical account of The Flood.

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who dwelt among us, now, can dwell within us. - Roy Lessin
"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
Justice is receiving what you deserve.
Mercy is NOT receiving what you deserve.
Grace is receiving what you DO NOT deserve.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 4:52AM #65
steven_guy

Apr 14, 2012 -- 3:01AM, iamachildofhis wrote:

Not so!

All human beings are here / alive, today, because they are descendant of the sons of Noah and their wives.  When our Noah-ancestors moved away from the Tower of Babel region, they took with them The Flood history.  Certainly, their The Flood history has changed over the thousands of years since The Flood.  But, all peoples of the Earth have a flood story, because there was a world wide flood which wiped out all air-breathing land life-forms except for those on The Ark.

Many of the stories of a flood, have similar elements to the biblical account of The Flood.

Actually, the peoples of Australia don't have big flood stories and they have been here from 40,000 to 60,000 years.

You're just talking about fairy tales.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 10:53AM #66
farragut

And the inigenous peoples of the Americas have been here for more than ten thousand years. Quite non-biblical.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 11:06AM #67
Ken

My Germanic and Celtic ancestors had no flood myths.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 11:27AM #68
amcolph

Apr 14, 2012 -- 11:06AM, Ken wrote:

That is interesting.  I wonder if you could trace that back to diverse regional effects of the ice-age melt off, which may have given rise to many of the flood stories.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 11:52AM #69
d_p_m

But the northern peoples did have a tale of a really cold winter preceding Ragnarok.

It seems to come down to 'what are the most impressive natural bad things we have seen?' and incorporating those into ones explanatory and cautionary myths.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 11:56AM #70
d_p_m

Apr 14, 2012 -- 11:27AM, amcolph wrote:

That is interesting.  I wonder if you could trace that back to diverse regional effects of the ice-age melt off, which may have given rise to many of the flood stories.

... and local topography. Flooding Norway probably would't work too well... to much 'up' with lots of places for the water to go to, and good drainage channels to the sea... unlike the river valley civilizations in the Middle East.

Speculation on my part, of course, but it seems reasonable.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook