Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View They apparently want their own facts, too
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 2:04PM #1
REteach
Posts: 14,551
There is an old saw that you can have your own opinions but you can't have your own facts.  Apparently religious conservatives figure that if they don't like facts, they just want trust them.  Sigh.  I frankly think this is scary.  www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/03/29/...
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 2:15PM #2
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,783

I find it amusing in a horrible way that they disdain or discount science almost completely. Yet still go to doctors. Maybe that is why they (conservative politicians) want to remove all healthcare from the general populace. And prefer to let people die of treatable and curable diseases. Because they don't like science?

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 2:51PM #3
mytmouse57
Posts: 9,782

I trust in the principle of science, and the scientific process of thought.


That's not the same as taking everything any particular scientists say as gospel truth.


 Still, things we might hear frequently these days,  such as, "We don't know if evolution is true, it's just a theory," demonstrate an ignorance toward the principle and process of science.


And that, frankly, is just lazy thinking and deliberate ignorance.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 3:18PM #4
TPaine
Posts: 9,339

Mar 31, 2012 -- 2:15PM, mainecaptain wrote:


I find it amusing in a horrible way that they disdain or discount science almost completely. Yet still go to doctors. Maybe that is why they (conservative politicians) want to remove all healthcare from the general populace. And prefer to let people die of treatable and curable diseases. Because they don't like science?



I think the main reason they don't like science is because the Koch brothers and other polluters have run and effective advertising and political campaign to teach them that global warming/climate change is a socialist trick to destroy private business. However, IMO it's an attempt to maintain their obscenely high profits. It seems in their minds money is more valuable than people.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 3:30PM #5
farragut
Posts: 3,997

I am not yet persuaded that intelligent conservatives have given up on science. Rather, I suspect that intelligent people are giving up on the conservative establishment, since it has been so hijacked by the fundangelicals.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 4:47PM #6
Fodaoson
Posts: 11,155

Mar 31, 2012 -- 3:30PM, farragut wrote:


I am not yet persuaded that intelligent conservatives have given up on science. Rather, I suspect that intelligent people are giving up on the conservative establishment, since it has been so hijacked by the fundangelicals.





a very probable thought.


“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 5:48PM #7
mainecaptain
Posts: 21,783

Mar 31, 2012 -- 3:18PM, TPaine wrote:


Mar 31, 2012 -- 2:15PM, mainecaptain wrote:


I find it amusing in a horrible way that they disdain or discount science almost completely. Yet still go to doctors. Maybe that is why they (conservative politicians) want to remove all healthcare from the general populace. And prefer to let people die of treatable and curable diseases. Because they don't like science?



I think the main reason they don't like science is because the Koch brothers and other polluters have run and effective advertising and political campaign to teach them that global warming/climate change is a socialist trick to destroy private business. However, IMO it's an attempt to maintain their obscenely high profits. It seems in their minds money is more valuable than people.




Probably. I have no doubt for a moment that money is more important then people. In their view.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:11PM #8
Ebon
Posts: 10,148

Mar 31, 2012 -- 3:30PM, farragut wrote:

I am not yet persuaded that intelligent conservatives have given up on science. Rather, I suspect that intelligent people are giving up on the conservative establishment, since it has been so hijacked by the fundangelicals.



Probably true but it's also the case that intelligent conservatives aren't doing very well at wrenching their party back from the wackadoodles.


Also, point of order: When you say "conservative establishment", that implies that there is an alternative to that establishment. But the only major alternative to the conservative establishment is the Teabaggers and they're borderline fascists, even bigger nutcases.


So essentially, the entire conservative movement these days is either the establishment (sold out to wackadoodles) or the Teabaggers (controlled by wackadoodles). The conservative movement has gotten so extreme in recent years that those who were once reasonable conservatives have, without changing their positions, ended up as independents because the movement has drifted so far to the right-fringe. Ronald Reagan would be considered a RINO in the modern conservative movement. If you're a moderate conservative or even just a not-crazy conservative, your choices are to be hated and resented as a RINO or become a conservative Democrat. Bill Maher was right on this one; the left has moved right and the right has moved into a mental asylum. Obama is actually to the right of Reagan on some issues but the right is now so extreme that they call him a socialist.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 9:05PM #9
REteach
Posts: 14,551

I understand that science is groping itself forward. Science does not believe that it has all the answers. When data changes, theories change.  


I wonder if those who are "don't trust science" conservatives are the kind of people who have to have black and white.  Faith is what it is and doesn't change no matter what.  Maybe they can't trust anything that might be subject to change.  


How can we move forward if what we have learned in the past means nothing?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 9:16PM #10
loveontheair
Posts: 4,057

Mar 31, 2012 -- 9:05PM, REteach wrote:


I understand that science is groping itself forward. Science does not believe that it has all the answers. When data changes, theories change.  


I wonder if those who are "don't trust science" conservatives are the kind of people who have to have black and white.  Faith is what it is and doesn't change no matter what.  Maybe they can't trust anything that might be subject to change.  


How can we move forward if what we have learned in the past means nothing?





Hello,



You must be in your own little world as some here. Maybe the only Conservatives you see are here on Bnet? Typical of Bnet and doesn't represent the Conservatives I know and typical of Liberals here on Bnet. Maybe it's the case at Berkley?



love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook