Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Christopher Hitchens, Dead at 62
3 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2011 - 3:42AM #1
Ebon
Christopher Hitchens; author, TV personality and combatative athiest, died late on Thursday night of complications to cancer.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16212418
He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2011 - 9:31AM #2
TemplarS

Interesting guy.  I didn't agree with him on many things, but still a great loss.  Discussion of controversial ideas is one of the ways we move forward as a society (or backwards, sometimes- but that is the price we must pay for progressing at all).

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2011 - 10:23AM #3
DotNotInOz
He confronted the certainty of his impending death with grace and wit.

I can think of few greater blessings than ending one's life surrounded by friends.

You are already missed, Hitch.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2011 - 11:29AM #4
BDboy

Dec 16, 2011 -- 9:31AM, TemplarS wrote:

Interesting guy.  I didn't agree with him on many things, but still a great loss.  Discussion of controversial ideas is one of the ways we move forward as a society (or backwards, sometimes- but that is the price we must pay for progressing at all).

>>>>>>>>> Agree with you. I also have mixed feelings about Chris. He used to write with left leaning but with time his tilt ( We call it flip flop if he was a politician) towards right was quite visible.

The little I gather of him that, his atheism guided his philosophy over the years. He became the poster boy of the neo-cons in his later years.

However whenever I listen to his talks (Over TV), it seemed like he actually believed in whatever he said. I respect that.

His passion will be missed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2011 - 2:10PM #5
mountain_man

Dec 16, 2011 -- 3:42AM, Ebon wrote:

Christopher Hitchens; author, TV personality and combatative[sic] athiest[sic], died late on Thursday night of complications to cancer.

I see by "combative" you mean unwilling to hide in the corner and shut up. He bravely stood up to religious extremists, and cancer; a role model for all humanity.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2011 - 4:57PM #6
rocketjsquirell

I can't say that I always agreed with him, as I often did not, but it is always sad to lose someone of his intellect at such a young age.  I guess now he knows either there is a g-d or sadly knows nothing at all. It is something we will all either find out or never know. Personally, I am still willing to wait for the conclusive answer.  May his memory be a blessing.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2011 - 5:07PM #7
mainecaptain

Dec 16, 2011 -- 4:57PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

I can't say that I always agreed with him, as I often did not, but it is always sad to lose someone of his intellect at such a young age.  I guess now he knows either there is a g-d or sadly knows nothing at all. It is something we will all either find out or never know. Personally, I am still willing to wait for the conclusive answer.  May his memory be a blessing.  

Very nice post. :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2011 - 6:29PM #8
solfeggio

I completely agree with what everybody has said.

But I would like to add that this is, sadly enough, another example of the terrible health risks associated with smoking. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2011 - 12:30AM #9
iamachildofhis

Here Douglas Wilson reflects on Christopher Hitchens:  Christopher Hitchens

Moderated by Merope on Dec 18, 2011 - 01:47PM
The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who dwelt among us, now, can dwell within us. - Roy Lessin
"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
Justice is receiving what you deserve.
Mercy is NOT receiving what you deserve.
Grace is receiving what you DO NOT deserve.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2011 - 10:39AM #10
Erey

I enjoyed reading Hitchens.  He was always interesting but at times he was brilliant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook