Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Journey to Christmas
3 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2011 - 3:49PM #1
iamachildofhis

iama: The birth of Christ Jesus in Bethlehem is remembered every Dec 25.  A film crew from 100 Huntley Street has produced a film during which 5 persons who have never visited Israel, previously, take the journeys which The Bible states were taken regarding the birth of Jesus. Four one hour long programs begin December 3 (two hours) and December 4 (two hours.) on cts.  We, in America, have our traditional ideas about what took place ~2,000 years ago in Israel, but this film crew wanted to present the biblical, historical journey. 

The Journey to Christmas

An Agnostic's Point of View

Dusty Singing in the Shepherds Field's Chapel

We don't have cts TV, so I am disappointed.

The historical event, which took place ~2,000 years ago, has been the motivation for the human construction of many buildings / monuments.

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who dwelt among us, now, can dwell within us. - Roy Lessin
"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
Justice is receiving what you deserve.
Mercy is NOT receiving what you deserve.
Grace is receiving what you DO NOT deserve.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 2:58AM #2
Blü

iama

It's at least as likely as not that there was no historical Jesus to have a real birthday.  If there were he was 100% human and we don't know who or when he was but Bethelem wasn't involved. The stories in Matthew and Luke of the nativity are fables, a mix of charming elements - magicians following a star to greet a new-born magician, for instance - and the brutality of Herod's purported massacre.  And so on.

But that's not important when the aim is to enjoy Christmas.  The Dickens / Santa tradition, which is responsible for the huge popularity of Christmas and its acceptance worldwide, allows people all over the world to celebrate a season of universal goodwill regardless of race, creed or (at least in theory) income; and to exchange gifts and to assemble and eat and drink too much with a full heart.

Altogether terrific!

I trust you'll have a happy Yuletide.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 1:53PM #3
Ken

How is this an historical mystery?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2011 - 6:54PM #4
teilhard

Thanks for the Tip ...

Blessed Christmas to you and your Loved Ones ...

Dec 2, 2011 -- 3:49PM, iamachildofhis wrote:

iama: The birth of Christ Jesus in Bethlehem is remembered every Dec 25.  A film crew from 100 Huntley Street has produced a film during which 5 persons who have never visited Israel, previously, take the journeys which The Bible states were taken regarding the birth of Jesus. Four one hour long programs begin December 3 (two hours) and December 4 (two hours.) on cts.  We, in America, have our traditional ideas about what took place ~2,000 years ago in Israel, but this film crew wanted to present the biblical, historical journey. 

The Journey to Christmas

An Agnostic's Point of View

Dusty Singing in the Shepherds Field's Chapel

We don't have cts TV, so I am disappointed.

The historical event, which took place ~2,000 years ago, has been the motivation for the human construction of many buildings / monuments.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2011 - 2:37PM #5
iamachildofhis

Dec 3, 2011 -- 1:53PM, Ken wrote:

Ken: How is this an historical mystery?

iama: When did the "journey to Christmas" / "Emmanuel, God with us,"

begin?

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who dwelt among us, now, can dwell within us. - Roy Lessin
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2011 - 3:05PM #6
Ken

Dec 5, 2011 -- 2:37PM, iamachildofhis wrote:

Dec 3, 2011 -- 1:53PM, Ken wrote:

Ken: How is this an historical mystery?

iama: When did the "journey to Christmas" / "Emmanuel, God with us,"

begin?

What does that question mean?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2011 - 6:33PM #7
Blü

iama

When did the "journey to Christmas" / "Emmanuel, God with us," begin?

It first appears in history when the author of Matthew (or else the author of Luke) decides that the OT contains various prophecies about the messiah's birth that a candidate messiah must satisfy - descent from David and so on - and strings them together to devise the nativity story.

A sample messianic list is here but it needn't limit you - why not write your own story?  You can flesh it out with bits of Greek myth too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2011 - 11:34PM #8
iamachildofhis

Dec 5, 2011 -- 6:33PM, Blü wrote:

iama

Blu: It first appears in history when the author of Matthew (or else the author of Luke) decides that the OT contains various prophecies about the messiah's birth that a candidate messiah must satisfy - descent from David and so on - and strings them together to devise the nativity story.

A sample messianic list is here but it needn't limit you - why not write your own story?  You can flesh it out with bits of Greek myth too.

iama:  As the following references state, the "journey to Christmas" began "from before the foundation of the world."

Jhn 17:24     

"Father, I will that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am; that they may behold My glory, which You have given Me: for You loved Me before the foundation of the world."

Eph 1:4     

"According as He has chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love:"

1Pe 1:20     

"Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,"

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2011 - 7:36AM #9
Blü

iama

You loved Me before the foundation of the world."

As the doctrine of the Trinity makes clear, this actually reads -

I loved Me before the foundation of the world."

But it reveals a deep ignorance of Genesis, which specifically says that the earth existed in the beginning.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2011 - 11:09AM #10
Ken

Dec 5, 2011 -- 6:33PM, Blü wrote:

iama

It first appears in history when the author of Matthew (or else the author of Luke) decides that the OT contains various prophecies about the messiah's birth that a candidate messiah must satisfy - descent from David and so on - and strings them together to devise the nativity story.

That's what Matthew and Luke did. Unfortunately, they didn't get together and agree on the same story.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook