Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Philip K Dick on the Prophets of Science Fiction
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 10:03AM #1
stardustpilgrim

The Wednesday night program on the science channel, The Prophets of Science Fiction, 10:00PM est, will be on Philip K ****. A main theme continually recurring with **** was what is identity in relation to machines being conscious, or genetically crafted "humans", as in the film Blade Runner. Other films based on his works: Next, Paycheck, Minority Report, Total Recall, The Adjustment Bureau, Imposter.

(PKD was also essentially a mystic, not-by-choice, written about in his 8,000 page Exegesis [1,000 pages just published] but I'm sure that won't be covered).

Moderated by rangerken on Nov 16, 2011 - 11:19PM
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 6:29PM #2
Blü

It's clear from the films made from PKD novels that his problem isn't good ideas.

But he's not much of a prose stylist and too often there's a relentless pessimism in his stuff that I find hard to stay with when I read him.

It makes me more grateful for the movies.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 6:22PM #3
Faustus5

The writings of PKD are probably the best thing that temporal lobe epilepsy every brought us. He's one of my favorite writers. Now if they could only get the Radio Free Albemuth movie into a theater near me or at least onto DVD/Blu Ray, I'd appreciate it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 1:30AM #4
JimRigas

I always considered science fiction as escape literature.  But escape into his dark, depressing imaginings...   not my idea of escapism.  I was not surprised to find out he had mental problems. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 11:55AM #5
costrel

Nov 19, 2011 -- 1:30AM, JimRigas wrote:

I always considered science fiction as escape literature.  

Then you're not reading the right kind of science fiction. Have you read Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents? The second one, Parable of the Talents, is particularly relevant, I think. It tells the story of a flegling religious movement that follows a non-personal God in a post-secular United States with a President who belongs to a very conservative Christian Church that is also a new political party. Non-Christians, homosexuals, etc. are rounded up and put into "re-education camps" run by the president's Christian church/political party, where they are forced to work, and where the women are routinely raped by the men running the camps. The children of the people in the re-education camps are also put into acceptable Christian foster homes so they can be raised with proper American, Christian family values. All the while, the environment is going to hell, and the U.S. is involved in a war with Canada. (The book was written before 9/11 and so in this future, the U.S. is not at war with Muslim terrorists.) Good science fiction should not be escapism but be a commentary on contemporary issues or on a potential immediate future. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2011 - 8:02PM #6
Marcion

Nov 19, 2011 -- 1:30AM, JimRigas wrote:

I always considered science fiction as escape literature.  But escape into his dark, depressing imaginings...   not my idea of escapism.  I was not surprised to find out he had mental problems. 

Alot of yesterdays science fiction is now science fact.

Some of todays science fact is stranger than fiction.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2011 - 1:23AM #7
rangerken

Comments about the author, Philip K ****, is perfectly fine! I assume this is who is being mentioned.

www.philipkdick.com/

I thought it a good idea to settle this, which is also why some posts were removed without comment since they were short one liners arguing about whether or not this man's name can be used.

Of course it may!

Rangerken

Conservative, Libertarian, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2011 - 6:28AM #8
costrel

Nov 21, 2011 -- 1:23AM, rangerken wrote:

Comments about the author, Philip K ****, is perfectly fine! I assume this is who is being mentioned.

www.philipkdick.com/

I thought it a good idea to settle this, which is also why some posts were removed without comment since they were short one liners arguing about whether or not this man's name can be used.

Of course it may!

Rangerken

Philip K. ****'s surname may be used, but Beliefnet will block it out, just as I discovered over on the U.S. News and Politics Board that Beliefnet will also block out **** Cheney's first name. (Apparently **** is blocked out because it is a crude slang term for penis [that last word isn't blocked!]?) And just to make it clear (since there was some confusion when I made the same observation over on the USNP board), I know this is a new program feature of Beliefnet and not the censorious whims of any one particular moderator. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2011 - 2:31PM #9
Ken

Nov 21, 2011 -- 1:23AM, rangerken wrote:

www.philipkdick.com/

Of course it may!

Rangerken

Except that it can't. I'll try to post it right now. Philip K. ****. See?

This is stupid. Treating a man's name as though it were an obscenity might be grounds for a lawsuit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2011 - 6:00PM #10
rangerken

This is indeed ridiculous. I frankly was not aware of it. Obviously, I can't get the word **** up either... though di-k or d-ck or d--k work. I will ask management about this. I do think it's stupid.

rangerken

Conservative, Libertarian, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook