Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Will humans break the million year mark?
3 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2011 - 1:25PM #11
d_p_m

I'd guess one of the major questions will be whether we develop the tech to move a human conciousness from one form to another. If we get that, one's form is likely to be quite arbitrary, and variable.

Before that, we will probably have substantial control over the nature of our bodies. Classical evolution is unlikely to be able to keep up.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2011 - 2:56PM #12
JCarlin

Sep 2, 2011 -- 1:25PM, d_p_m wrote:

Classical evolution is unlikely to be able to keep up.

What makes you think that classical evolution is not working on the human species as we chat?  The changes are in mind/brain/behaviors rather than the physical form.  But they are significant.  Emerging from the high level university communities around the world is a new (sub?)-species of human.   This Social Support Group, ERSSG, has completely abandoned the age old pattern of early marriages for women who become responsible for Kinder, Küche, Kirche while the man interacts with the rest of the world to provide economic and political support for the family. 

In the ERSSG the women are expected to obtain the highest level of education they are capable of and take their place as equals in the economic and political arenas.  Couples breed very late if they choose to do so and if they do the men are generally "more equal" partners in parenting.  It is no accident that men's rooms in airports have well used diaper changing stations.  Mom is on the internet setting up the meeting she is chairing. 

Please note the evolutionary speciation is on breeding habits, as well as social patterns.  Both of which are well known classical evolutionary differences. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2011 - 3:31PM #13
d_p_m

Sep 2, 2011 -- 2:56PM, JCarlin wrote:

Sep 2, 2011 -- 1:25PM, d_p_m wrote:

Classical evolution is unlikely to be able to keep up.

What makes you think that classical evolution is not working on the human species as we chat?

I'm quite sure that it is. It's just that once we start deliberately inserting 'designer genes' into our genome, that process is likely to occur much more rapidly than natural selection... and will probably provide more fodder for natural selection to operate on.

I could see popular 'user selected genes' being fixed in the general population in a century or two, rahter than in the millennia to million year time scale, assuming that the modification technique resulted in heritable traits.

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2011 - 4:22PM #14
ozero

Farragut: "Perhaps in the land of oz, but nowhere else will our distant ancestors do anything."

Oh, so you're one of those folks who think that time flows only in one direction...

What, you don't remember the future like other people.  Are you moving in that direction?

Ok, I screwed it up.  Just like our descendents did on their way in this direction of time...

The arrow of time?  Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2011 - 11:27AM #15

Actually time is winding down with the introduction of near harmful mutations into our genetics.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2011 - 12:48PM #16
MMarcoe

Sep 4, 2011 -- 11:27AM, 57 wrote:

Actually time is winding down with the introduction of near harmful mutations into our genetics.  

Odd, then, that the human race is progressing so rapidly with its technology, science, and learning.

The YEC model should predict that we are getting less and less able to do anything at all. You should be amazed that we are able to communicate over this Internet thingy.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2011 - 5:59PM #17
Namchuck

You haven't a clue, huh, 57?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2011 - 6:01PM #18
d_p_m

Produce some scientific evidence for this, or recant.

― Niels Bohr

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2011 - 6:06PM #19
Namchuck

Sep 4, 2011 -- 6:01PM, d_p_m wrote:

Produce some scientific evidence for this, or recant.

57 doesn't respond to difficult questions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 4:12AM #20
Slipnish

Does "near harmful" mean they aren't really harmful at the moment?

If so, then why not say that?

I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

~Any Creationist~
(But honestly Douglas Adams)

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook