Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Building an ark in Kentucky
3 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2011 - 4:53PM #11
MMarcoe

Aug 18, 2011 -- 1:59PM, d_p_m wrote:

Aug 18, 2011 -- 1:13PM, Ken wrote:

Aug 18, 2011 -- 12:53PM, HouseofDavid wrote:

Will the Ark encounter show the ventilation, feeding, and animal waste management systems?  Each of these animals must have at least consumed its own weight and volume during the year afloat, so the Ark better show enough room for that.  If not, the Ark is not "Biblically feasible".   How did 2 adults and 6 kids feed and scoop poop for 4,000 animals a day ?  I have trouble keeping up with 2 cats.

I think it's safe to say that this thing won't be built using only technology that was available in the third millennium BCE. How could it be without violating more building and safety codes than you can shake a stick at? And, as it's being built in Kentucky, there will obviously be no attempt to prove that it's seaworthy.

The whole project is a sham, and the taxpayers of Kentucky are damned fools for subsidizing it. I hope they get well and truly screwed.

And, of course it will not deal with some issues:

1. Having two of every species of animal

2. Having to survive on a global flood for most of a year.

3. Deal with atmospheric contamination and ventilation problems from animal waste.

4. Feeding all those nonexistent animals with a crew of 8.

5. Removing the animal waste with a crew of 8.

6. Storing food for carnivores for 10 months without refrigeration, canning, or similar food preservation techniques.

7. Dealing with the repalcement of the surrounding atmosphere with superheated steam.

8. Building it with one person, no power tools, out of local resources.

9. Collecting the animals from distant continents without modern transportation.

10. Returning the animals to distant continents without modern transportation.

11. Keeping the small animals from escaping.

12. Keeping the large animals for escaping (can you say 'wooden cage for elephants'?).

13. Importing, sorting and storing exotic foods for some species, from distant continents (eucalyptus, koalas).

14. Making a structure strong enough to remain seaworthy, of that size, without ferrous reinforcement.

... and on and on.

This is just a larger version of the 'flood in a jar of mud', and just as scientifically valid.

This is why we need to organize a Bnet trip down to Kentucky. Let's bombard them with questions like these. Will they bother to listen? Will their Website have a section for criticism?

Probably not.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2011 - 4:54PM #12
Ken

An authentic replica would also have to be made of gopherwood - and nobody knows what gopherwood is. That's an insurmountable obstacle.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2011 - 11:09PM #13
Midutch

Aug 18, 2011 -- 8:58AM, 57 wrote:

Building an ark will be just one more of many items that show the ark was feasible

Well, when they fill the thing wth thousands of animals, lots of straw for all of the animals to eat, eight people to care for all of the animals and maintain the ark with simple bronze age tools and technology, seal the thing up for over a year and EVERYTHING comes off alive and well ... then, and only then, will it be shown to be "feasible".

Do you know of any plans to actually do this? It is, after all, a perfect way for you "fundamentalist christian creationists" to do some actual "creation science research". Something you guys have been an ABYSMAL FAILURE at doing for tha last 2000 years or so.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 5:07AM #14
d_p_m
According to the stories and photos, the two 'arks' that were / are being built in Europe were built on top of steel barges, with steel frames.
"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 8:26AM #15
Ridcully

Aug 18, 2011 -- 4:54PM, Ken wrote:

An authentic replica would also have to be made of gopherwood - and nobody knows what gopherwood is. That's an insurmountable obstacle.

I think "gopherwood" is ancient Hebrew for balsa wood.  They obviously imported it from the Aztecs! 

"Things just happen, what the hell."  Didactylos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 2:38PM #16
MMarcoe

Aug 19, 2011 -- 5:07AM, d_p_m wrote:

According to the stories and photos, the two 'arks' that were / are being built in Europe were built on top of steel barges, with steel frames.

I would like a YEC to tell me why steel frames are even necessary.

Oh, wait -- I know. You see, back in Noah's day, gopherwood was a lot stronger because it was closer in time to Adam. Its genome hadn't decayed as much due to Adam's sin as it would by today. That's it. Got it.

Today's gopherwood is more sinful.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 2:53PM #17
HouseofDavid

Aug 18, 2011 -- 4:54PM, Ken wrote:

It's actually a TYPO in the first English translation of the Bible.  Look at the original scripture; God said to Noah: "My Commandment to you is go for wood." 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 3:46PM #18
d_p_m

Aug 19, 2011 -- 3:46PM, d_p_m wrote:

As an outsider, I'm curious.

Is it my imagination, or does the density of cultish Christianity and the level of religion based gullibility increase as you move south in the US, and if so, why?

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 5:13PM #19
iamachildofhis

Aug 18, 2011 -- 11:06AM, MMarcoe wrote:

MMarcoe: I want to know how many "kinds" they are going to fit into this boat.

And I want to know how they will deal with the many arguments against the flood story

iama:   Here are some research links related to The Flood:

Noah’s Flood Questions and Answers

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who dwelt among us, now, can dwell within us. - Roy Lessin
"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
Justice is receiving what you deserve.
Mercy is NOT receiving what you deserve.
Grace is receiving what you DO NOT deserve.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 6:23PM #20
Vistronic

It seems a legitimate experiment would be something like this.

Pick a site along the Washington, Canada or Alaskan coast. The wood and water would be available in this area.

Blueprint a plan, I have yet to see one to a construction level detail, but this is required along with a building material list. Trees needed and so on. Keep methods near historic level on construction.

Keep tools to near historic level available.

Why do I say near? Because of time and labor, use modern tools to give the historic results, like cutting and boring for example, I fail to see why the hole must be bored by hand when a power tool would give the same or sim results you get the idea.

If you can prove they could have done it, fine, after that use modern equivalent.

The question of metal bracing or not must be addressed.

The big problem would be the launch, so in this case modern methods could be used, preferably flood the construction site and river or canal to harbor.

Another big question is loading. How much and where?

Finally water conditions, will you take it out in waves and how high?

Of course you would need life boats, but I would build an escape boat on deck so if the whole ship sinks everyone climbs in , you could even release boat awash in flotsam, this ark is a big wood boat I do not think its heading to bottom like titanic if it breaks up. Depends on wieght that is why it may be wise to use water ballast for the load.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook