Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mars has flowing water!
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 12:54AM #1
Ebon
OK, I'm exagerating and stripping a lot of qualifiers out of NASA's statement but that's because I'm excited:

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/news/mro2...
He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 9:55AM #2
TemplarS

Interesting-

Maybe not enough water to sustain life now-  but more evidence it could have happened in the past...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 12:47PM #3
mainecaptain

Mars probably has bacteria, if it has water, which is life. Not life I would want to cosy with, but it is promising. I still don't plan to visit Mars any time soon ;)

It is exciting Ebon. :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 3:24PM #4
IDBC

If Mars does have water it would make it more likely that there is life on Mars.  

My question is what would be the significance if it is found out that there is simple live on Mars? 

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 5:30PM #5
rocketjsquirell

IDBC

The significance for science would be that it would make it more likely than not that life evolved on other planets and in other solar systems. If this is true it will lead to further exploration (always a good thing, because of the new things we discover and the new technologies which we need to  develop in order to enable the exploration) as well as new understandings of how and why life develops.

The significance for various religions is that those which currently hold a completely earth-centric view of creation would be forced to either deny the scientific evidence (which has been done before - the "great" evolution/creationist debate comes to mind) or adjust their thinking and theology to allow for the new scientific knowledge.

These are exciting times and this is exciting news. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 5:35PM #6
Maidencreatrix
For our general day-to-day life here on Earth, probably not much... But it sparks the imagination. The science world might start shifting towards the idea that life in the universe is more prevalent than we thought.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 8:09PM #7
TemplarS

Aug 5, 2011 -- 5:35PM, Maidencreatrix wrote:

The science world might start shifting towards the idea that life in the universe is more prevalent than we thought.

Many scientists think life is abundant in the universe. But without evidence, their opinions are just...opinions.  Evidence of life on at least one other world would double our sample size and go long way towards validating those opinions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 11:00PM #8
Roodog

Aug 5, 2011 -- 12:54AM, Ebon wrote:

OK, I'm exagerating and stripping a lot of qualifiers out of NASA's statement but that's because I'm excited:

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/news/mro2...

Good,

We can brew beer on Mars!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2011 - 1:14AM #9
Maidencreatrix

Aug 5, 2011 -- 8:09PM, TemplarS wrote:

Aug 5, 2011 -- 5:35PM, Maidencreatrix wrote:

The science world might start shifting towards the idea that life in the universe is more prevalent than we thought.

Many scientists think life is abundant in the universe. But without evidence, their opinions are just...opinions.  Evidence of life on at least one other world would double our sample size and go long way towards validating those opinions.

Yep. Hope it turns out to be correct!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2011 - 9:22AM #10
Ebon

Aug 5, 2011 -- 3:24PM, IDBC wrote:

My question is what would be the significance if it is found out that there is simple live on Mars?

Rocket mostly covered this but there are other implications: It adds to the credibility of the Drake Equation (a formula used to estimate the number of possible intelligent lifeforms in a universe) and examination of that life would add immeasurably to our understanding of evolution.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook