Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Switch to Forum Live View Automobiles and nested hierarchies
3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2015 - 6:13AM #91
Roymond

May 1, 2011 -- 5:25PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

It's almost like YEC'ers think of creation as putting together a bunch of LEGOS.  A rattle was not placed onto a snake like you would place a radio in a car.  The rattle is merely some scales that are larger than the rest.  The natural world is not like Mr. Potato Head.  It does not just slap some crap together and calls it a day.

That's a very good observation.  It's why I consider the YEC god a "toy farm animal" god -- which works even better if all the farm animals are made from LEGOs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2015 - 6:19AM #92
Roymond

I have sitting on my shelf a great illustration of a nested hierarchy.  It's one of those wooden ball puzzles with two dozen pieces.  Not only does each piece have just one place it can go in to make the ball, the pieces have to be placed in the proper order.  You can't change the order because two pieces are similar in length or shape, you have to put them in one after the other in only one order, or you don't get the ball.

That's what nesting means:  a piece fits in one place, and one place only, and it fits in an order that can't be changed, either.  You can't classify them by some aspect that looks similar to other pieces, you have to classify them by the way they actually have to be put together to get the ball.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2015 - 1:09PM #93
rsielin

Feb 27, 2015 -- 6:19AM, Roymond wrote:

That's what nesting means:  a piece fits in one place, and one place only, and it fits in an order that can't be changed, either.

No, that's not the important biological meaning. The strict nested hierarchy is the only pattern that explains inheritance. You can only get genes from your parents and that is the set of genes you have to work with or mutate to increase your relative reproductive fitness or success. It's the same for a population or species.

It's been after-your-kind since our universal common ancestor life appeared on Earth 3.5-4bn years ago.

And it's demonstrably true that in every family it's always the distant cousins that act and look differently? :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2015 - 12:27AM #94
Roymond

Mar 1, 2015 -- 1:09PM, rsielin wrote:

Feb 27, 2015 -- 6:19AM, Roymond wrote:

That's what nesting means:  a piece fits in one place, and one place only, and it fits in an order that can't be changed, either.

No, that's not the important biological meaning. The strict nested hierarchy is the only pattern that explains inheritance. You can only get genes from your parents and that is the set of genes you have to work with or mutate to increase your relative reproductive fitness or success. It's the same for a population or species.

It's been after-your-kind since our universal common ancestor life appeared on Earth 3.5-4bn years ago.

And it's demonstrably true that in every family it's always the distant cousins that act and look differently? :)

"Distant cousins" -- heh.  When I was early in college and in charge of the family tree display at our family reunion, we had a surprise one year:  two of my cousins had gotten married -- to each other, without realizing they were like fifth cousins twice removed.

I think your definition is really the same as mine, just I didn't use biological terms (so as to protect the ignorant innocent).

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook