Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

 
Post Reply
Page 1 of 31  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Existential Underpinnings of Belief in Intelligent Design
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 5:34PM #1
rsielin
Posts: 4,997

If you ever wanted to know what makes a creationist mind tick, here is the psychology.


Death and Science: The Existential Underpinnings of Belief in Intelligent Design and Discomfort with Evolution


www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10....


An interactive open-access journal for the communication of all peer-reviewed scientific and medical research.



The present research examined the psychological motives underlying widespread support for intelligent design theory (IDT), a purportedly scientific theory that lacks any scientific evidence; and antagonism toward evolutionary theory (ET), a theory supported by a large body of scientific evidence.

We tested whether these attitudes are influenced by IDT's provision of an explanation of life's origins that better addresses existential concerns than ET. In four studies, existential threat (induced via reminders of participants' own mortality) increased acceptance of IDT and/or rejection of ET, regardless of participants' religion, religiosity, educational background, or preexisting attitude toward evolution.

Effects were reversed by teaching participants that naturalism can be a source of existential meaning (Study 4), and among natural-science students for whom ET may already provide existential meaning (Study 5).

These reversals suggest that the effect of heightened mortality awareness on attitudes toward ET and IDT is due to a desire to find greater meaning and purpose in science when existential threats are activated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 5:41PM #2
Slipnish
Posts: 3,868

Yer link ain't workin'.

I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

~Any Creationist~
(But honestly Douglas Adams)

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 5:49PM #3
rsielin
Posts: 4,997

Apr 2, 2011 -- 5:41PM, Slipnish wrote:


Yer link ain't workin'.



Try it now...

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 9:47PM #4
Slipnish
Posts: 3,868

Apr 2, 2011 -- 5:49PM, rsielin wrote:


Apr 2, 2011 -- 5:41PM, Slipnish wrote:


Yer link ain't workin'.



Try it now...





This sorta sums up our resident YECs.


"Specifically, conservative attitudes relate positively to death anxiety,  intolerance of ambiguity, and low self-esteem. Other research shows  that increasing existential anxiety by reminding people of their own  mortality influences attitudes toward hypothetical political candidates [8], actual political figures, and foreign-policy strategies [9], [10].  Thus, although dispositional political and religious ideologies may be  central factors underlying the success of the IDT movement and  corresponding doubt about ET, fundamental psychological motives, such as  the need to maintain psychological security, are also likely to  influence these beliefs when activated. (Cognitive processes also play a  role in shaping these views; studies have shown that young children,  and adults with Alzheimer's who cannot remember learned knowledge about  the origins of objects, tend to show a preference for teleological and  other essentialist explanations for the origins of objects and organic  phenomena [11], [12].)."


 


I absolutely agree with ehw whole, "intolerance of ambiguity."  How many times do we have to hear about the "unchanging word of God" and "man's always changing science" baloney?  I find no surprise that they also list low self esteem among the issues.  In my personal experience, those with the lowest self esteem find more of a need to micro-manage others, up to and including their personal lives.

I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

~Any Creationist~
(But honestly Douglas Adams)

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 11:10PM #5
iamachildofhis
Posts: 11,927

Apr 2, 2011 -- 5:34PM, rsielin wrote:



rsielin: If you ever wanted to know what makes a creationist mind tick, here is the psychology.


Death and Science: The Existential Underpinnings of Belief in Intelligent Design and Discomfort with Evolution


www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10....


An interactive open-access journal for the communication of all peer-reviewed scientific and medical research.



The present research examined the psychological motives underlying widespread support for intelligent design theory (IDT), a purportedly scientific theory that lacks any scientific evidence; and antagonism toward evolutionary theory (ET), a theory supported by a large body of scientific evidence.



iama: The intelligent design paradigm has the whole of The Creation as its foundation!! The whole of The Creation, is a TREMENDOUS amount of scientific evidence! Why don't you think so?


Again, all that I have EVER seen or read or heard has been a presentation of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the way of scientific evidence! It is always, purely, speculation, hopping over those ever present historical gaps filled by assumptions, and never evidence!




We tested whether these attitudes are influenced by IDT's provision of an explanation of life's origins that better addresses existential concerns than ET. In four studies, existential threat (induced via reminders of participants' own mortality) increased acceptance of IDT and/or rejection of ET, regardless of participants' religion, religiosity, educational background, or preexisting attitude toward evolution.


iama: What HOPE does ET give to anyone? We know that we aren't accidents or chance entities! We have a Creator-God to Whom we are being held accountable and responsible to, eternally. What else would you expect of created human beings? 


Effects were reversed by teaching participants that naturalism can be a source of existential meaning (Study 4), and among natural-science students for whom ET may already provide existential meaning (Study 5).


iama:  I wonder what that meaning could possibly be? 


 


These reversals suggest that the effect of heightened mortality awareness on attitudes toward ET and IDT is due to a desire to find greater meaning and purpose in science when existential threats are activated.




iama: The Creation is the 100% supernatural work / creation of our Creator-God, Who, also, created us.


Why would anyone, ever, choose to eliminate / separate from our Creator-God and His purposes for His Creation?


 


.

http://creation.com/creation-tv?fileID=N0RDR6y_QBc

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who dwelt among us, now, can dwell within us. - Roy Lessin
.
"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
.
Justice is receiving what you deserve.
Mercy is NOT receiving what you deserve.
Grace is receiving what you DO NOT deserve.
.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 11:25PM #6
rsielin
Posts: 4,997

Apr 2, 2011 -- 11:10PM, iamachildofhis wrote:

iama: The intelligent design paradigm has the whole of The Creation as its foundation!! The whole of The Creation, is a TREMENDOUS amount of scientific evidence! Why don't you think so?


If you mean the Bible, you are mistaken there is no science evidence there. All the science evidence is being presented in the professionally peer review scientific journals dedicated to science excellence.


Again, all that I have EVER seen or read or heard has been a presentation of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the way of scientific evidence!


But you have shown us you are science ignorant, so we know you wouldn't be able to recognize any science evidence to begin with.  That's he only reason you say you haven't seen any.


It is always, purely, speculation, hopping over those ever present historical gaps filled by assumptions, and never evidence!


You wish you could hand wave away the overwhelming and fast accumulating scientific evidence supporting evolution but you can't.  Your words won't do it.  You need evidence, and that is what you don't have and can't find. You're sinking fast as the evidence accumulates faster than you can see it coming.  


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 11:42PM #7
Abner1
Posts: 6,624

iama wrote:


> The intelligent design paradigm has the whole of The Creation as its foundation!! The


> whole of The Creation, is a TREMENDOUS amount of scientific evidence! Why don't


> you think so?


Because they do not follow the scientific method - I've read quite a few 'intelligent design' articles and they all failed to follow the scientific method and thus do not have the support of science in any way.  To gain the support of science they would have to start applying the scientific method - and that would require doing actual research in ways that might not lead to confirmation of their religious beliefs.  That is verboten to creationists, unfortunately - they just can't put up their beliefs for potential falsification.


> What HOPE does ET give to anyone?


You're showing your fundamental misunderstanding of science again.  Science is not about giving people hope - that's a job for philosophies and religions, not science.  The theory of gravity doesn't give people hope, the kinetic-molecular theory of gases doesn't give people hope, etc.  They're descriptions of reality that were formulated and tested according to a specific procedure (the scientific method) that creationists avoid like the plague - no more, no less.


> We have a Creator-God to Whom we are being held accountable and responsible to,


> eternally.


The theory of evolution says nothing for or against that belief - nor does any other part of science.  That's not what science is about.


> The Creation is the 100% supernatural work / creation of our Creator-God, Who,


> also, created us.


In your opinion.


> Why would anyone, ever, choose to eliminate / separate from our Creator-God and


> His purposes for His Creation?


Would becoming connected to him lead to being like you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 1:29PM #8
Slipnish
Posts: 3,868

Apr 2, 2011 -- 11:42PM, Abner1 wrote:


> Why would anyone, ever, choose to eliminate / separate from our Creator-God and


> His purposes for His Creation?


Would becoming connected to him lead to being like you?




 


I have never seen a greater reason to abandon religion.

I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

~Any Creationist~
(But honestly Douglas Adams)

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 1:52PM #9
farragut
Posts: 4,481

For those who can actually read, not Iama, of course, the 11th chapter of Dawkins's The Greatest Show On Earth provides some marvellous examples of unintelligent design.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 5:08PM #10
wohali
Posts: 10,227

"Would becoming connected to him lead to being like you?"


I couldn't agree with Slip more...............

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 31  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook