Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 10 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How Religion conquered Science and vise versa.
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2010 - 1:50PM #91
farragut

"But he is in WAAAAY-over-his-head when he PRESUMES to write, teach, pontificate about "God" and "Religion" ..."

Seems to me that he more than holds his own in debate. I'd love to see you take him on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2010 - 1:58PM #92
teilhard

LOL ... Except ...

The "God" Question ISN'T a "Question" that can be SETTLED by "Debate," you see ...

So ...

Dec 3, 2010 -- 1:50PM, farragut wrote:

"But he is in WAAAAY-over-his-head when he PRESUMES to write, teach, pontificate about "God" and "Religion" ..."

Seems to me that he more than holds his own in debate. I'd love to see you take him on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2010 - 10:10PM #93
JCarlin

Those that can, teach and change the world.  Those that can't teach do. They fool around with things and/or ideas.  Useful to be sure, but seldom earth shaking. 

Dec 3, 2010 -- 10:58AM, newchurchguy wrote:

In technology - there are two paths - learn the theory, but not be skilled in practice - then you go and teach.

If skilled, you become an engineer and build stuff.  The pragmatic preformance of what you do build speaks - to your skill level.  This can be building material devices --- or building information objects like designs or programming code.

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2010 - 10:49PM #94
Vardu

Being that God and religion are obviously human inventions, I cannot see why anyone would conclude they they are ideas over the head of Richard Dawkins.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2010 - 2:09PM #95
Creedofcrusades

Catholic monasteries preserved learning during the Dark Ages...a term with as loose a defintion is any words ever uttered by a liberal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2010 - 6:12PM #96
Ken

Dec 5, 2010 -- 2:09PM, Creedofcrusades wrote:

Catholic monasteries preserved learning during the Dark Ages...a term with as loose a defintion is any words ever uttered by a liberal.

Which term? Catholic, monastery, preserve, learning, or Dark Ages? We don't use the term "Dark Ages" nowadays. We use "Early Middle Ages" instead.

As for monasteries preserving learning, we wish they'd done a better job of it. They preserved too much theology and not enough good stuff.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2010 - 7:52PM #97
Creedofcrusades

Dec 5, 2010 -- 6:12PM, Ken wrote:

Which term? Catholic, monastery, preserve, learning, or Dark Ages? We don't use the term "Dark Ages" nowadays. We use "Early Middle Ages" instead.

As for monasteries preserving learning, we wish they'd done a better job of it. They preserved too much theology and not enough good stuff.

Which term? "Dark Ages" of course. It is a silly term. Catholic isnt used in a loose way by liberals except a few pedants in chat rooms. The Capital letter helps in those cases. Monastary isnt loose. Especially when coupled with "Catholic". "Preserve" is pretty straight forward and a verb not really open to misunderstanding. "Learning" as well though if you want it redefined I am always happy to oblige liberal dictionary mongering.

Easy for you to say you wish they had done a better job of it. You don't have to tote vellum across mountains, through post Roman chaos,  to unlighted and unheated scriptoriums for a copy to made and passed on. You only benefit from their preservation of learning.

Or do you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2010 - 10:35PM #98
Ken

Dec 5, 2010 -- 7:52PM, Creedofcrusades wrote:

Dec 5, 2010 -- 6:12PM, Ken wrote:

Which term? Catholic, monastery, preserve, learning, or Dark Ages? We don't use the term "Dark Ages" nowadays. We use "Early Middle Ages" instead

Which term? "Dark Ages" of course. It is a silly term.

Then you'll be happy to know it's passé..

Easy for you to say you wish they had done a better job of it. You don't have to tote vellum across mountains, through post Roman chaos,  to unlighted and unheated scriptoriums for a copy to made and passed on. You only benefit from their preservation of learning.

I'd benefit a lot more if they'd toted fewer Church Fathers across the mountains and more historians. I'd like to read the missing two-thirds of Tacitus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2010 - 12:21AM #99
SeraphimR

Dec 5, 2010 -- 7:52PM, Creedofcrusades wrote:

Or do you?

Where do you suppose they toted it from?

“So long as there is squalor in the world, those obsessed with social justice feel obliged not only to live in it themselves but also to spread it evenly.”

http://takimag.com/article/the_ugly_truth_theodore_dalrymple
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2010 - 11:01AM #100
teilhard

And ... Communities of Faith have ALWAYS everywhere established and supported Schools, Colleges, Universities, Publishing Houses, Libraries, and Laboratories ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook