Switch to Forum Live View Twilight Zone Fans: Take Note
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 5:06PM #1
solfeggio

A reflection nebula (gas cloud combination lit by a light source) that glows instead without a light source?  What's lighting it up? There are no bright stars in the vicinity, and scientists are puzzled.

news.msn.co.nz/article/7949766/ghost-neb...

www.theurbn.com/2010/08/iras-054372502-g...

apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100809.html

Curiouser and curiouser.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 5:21PM #2
Iwantamotto

Wouldn't it be illuminated by the light at the angle?  It looks like the light source is only slightly above and behind the "fat Twi'lek" looking dark cloud near the angle.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 5:32PM #3
Weepingangelofthetrees

Aug 23, 2010 -- 5:06PM, solfeggio wrote:

A reflection nebula (gas cloud combination lit by a light source) that glows instead without a light source?  What's lighting it up? There are no bright stars in the vicinity, and scientists are puzzled.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Could be E.T's finger got stuck in the "On" position.

Remember when stamps were 33 cents?! Yeah, me neither.

I find articles like this quite fascinating. I love the Hubble images and so discoveries like this, that leave us curious because our present day science can't even hope to answer the question at this point, keep us humble. Especially for the religious arena that attempts to smack a faith filled stamp on the whole thing and dismiss it easily enough with the phrase; god did it, I believe it and that's it! 

Yeahhh, but what gave birth to god?! 
Ewww, that must have been that ' "A" supplemental'non-canonized book that would have otherwise published, before Genesis! Wink

Great article! Thank you for posting. Smile

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 9:37PM #4
Hatman

Aug 23, 2010 -- 5:06PM, solfeggio wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser.

Solf-
Haven't read anything at your links, yet, but this thought occurred to me; if there is a relatively high amount of sodium in this cloud, certain high frequencies at high voltage can make a brilliant glow.

Well, that's iirc.

i seem to remember reading about glass balls filled with some form of sodium that, when bombarded by hi-freq waves at relatively hi voltages, would provide a "cold light" with far more lumens than yer ordinary fluorescents.

So MAYBE this could account for the glow, or some similar principle.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 10:22PM #5
mountain_man

I know exactly what it is.

You've all heard of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Well.... this is the same thing, but in space. It's not plastic, but socks. Yes. This is where all those socks lost in the dryer have been ending up. The glow is from the static electricity of all those socks rubbing together along with some residual static from the dryer that created the worm hole that sent them there.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 11:54PM #6
Ebon

And suddenly, so much is clear.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2010 - 7:31PM #7
Agnosticspirit

This thread has been moved from Hot Topics Zone. I do wish we had a forum dedicated to science, rather than a forum dedicated to the tension between religion and science.... grrr....

agnosticspirit - Bnet community cohost HTZ

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2010 - 10:33PM #8
Jcarlinbn

May I remind you that this is beliefnet.  We are lucky to have a science thread at all.  Keep 'em coming.  We even have some scientists here that are religious.  And some of us can get pretty religious about APOD.  I can't remember a day when that wasn't the first thing up on my computer to contemplate while all the rest of the crap is loading in a different window.  

Aug 30, 2010 -- 7:31PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

I do wish we had a forum dedicated to science, rather than a forum dedicated to the tension between religion and science.... grrr....

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2010 - 11:49AM #9
teilhard

In Theory, THIS Forum is for Discussion of "Science AND Religion," NOT necessarily, "Science VERSUS Religion" ... In actual PRACTICE, however ...

Aug 30, 2010 -- 7:31PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

This thread has been moved from Hot Topics Zone. I do wish we had a forum dedicated to science, rather than a forum dedicated to the tension between religion and science.... grrr....

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook