Switch to Forum Live View psychological healing
4 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2010 - 8:43AM #1
David106

Hi everyone. I just wanted to make a comment about a quote I read here at beliefnet. It was by Carl Rogers..."The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change." I was truly blown away by this statement, and I believe it to be one of the wisest things ever said. I think it's by ACCEPTING ourselves as we are that we can heal and grow.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2010 - 11:45AM #2
Christianlib

Yes,

An interesting statement.  A thought which has passed through many great minds in many forms.  One of my favorite expressions of it is from the Scot poet, Robert Burns:

(in his particular style of English.)

O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
And ev'n Devotion!

--Ode to a Louse

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 12:37PM #3
F1fan

Jul 30, 2010 -- 8:43AM, David106 wrote:

Hi everyone. I just wanted to make a comment about a quote I read here at beliefnet. It was by Carl Rogers..."The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change." I was truly blown away by this statement, and I believe it to be one of the wisest things ever said. I think it's by ACCEPTING ourselves as we are that we can heal and grow.

Not bad.  It requires a realistic and honest self-assessment, and then knowing how to adjust attitudes and behavior to evolve and mature.  Assessing and knowing the self is a skill, and self-delusion can be a habit, so it can be a hard path.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2010 - 11:29AM #4
teilhard

Such Realistic Self-Acceptance decreases Anxiety ... thus helping both Adaptation and Adjustment to "God," Life, The Universe and Everything ...

Jul 30, 2010 -- 8:43AM, David106 wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook