Switch to Forum Live View 57 Ancient Tombs with Mummies Unearthed in Egypt
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 3:48AM #1
Merope

Not sure whether this thread is appropriate for this forum; I just find it highly interesting.  Anyway, if it's not a good fit for the forum, just nuke the thread Tongue out 

That prelude aside, Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities said in a statement on Sunday that archeologists have unearthed 57 ancient Egyptian tombs, most of which hold an ornately painted wooden sarcophagus with a mummy inside.  The findings were unearthed at Lahoun, in Fayoum, some 70 miles south of Cairo.

The oldest tombs date to around 2750 BCE, during Egypt's first and second dynasties (this would be third millenium BCE, right?).  Twelve of the tombs date to the 18th dynasty, which ruled Egypt during the second millennium BCE.

According to the council, these discoveries shed new light on Egypt's ancient religions.

The mummies dating to the 18th dynasty are covered in linen decorated with religious texts from the Book of the Dead and scenes featuring ancient Egyptian deities.  Some of the tombs are decorated with religious texts that ancient Egyptians believed would help the deceased to cross through the underworld.

One of the oldest tombs is almost completely intact, with all of its funerary equipment and a wooden sarcophagus containing a mummy wrapped in linen.

In 31 tombs dating to around 2030-1840 BCE, archaeologists discovered scenes of different ancient Egyptian deities — such as Horus, Hathor, Khnum and Amun — decorating some of the tombs.

I'm neither an Egyptologist (professional or armchair :-) nor a student of ancient Egyptian religions.  So I'm sure many of you know more about this stuff that I.

So what do you think and/or make of these finds and their significance?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 9:32AM #2
Blü

Merope

Thanks for that.

We won't know its significance until the experts have had a good look and let us know.  But every find has the potential to firm up or cast doubt on what we think we already know, and sometimes - let's hope this time - there'll be something delightfully sensational.

Footnote: Our creationist friends' right hand man Bishop Ussher tells us that the oldest tomb, at 2750 BCE, is contemporaneous with Noah, whose flood won't happen for another 402 years.

By the same reckoning, the later tombs, 2030-1840 BCE, start 312 years after Noah's flood, and straddle Noah's death around 2000 BCE.

I haven't heard an explanation why the same culture exists on both sides of the flood (2348 BCE).  Were I a creo, I'd no doubt say this fact casts doubt on the dating of the finds.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2010 - 10:39AM #3
caduceus

It's interesting to note that there are flood legends from every part of the world except Egypt. We need to read Plato on this one and his conversation with the priest at Sais.
If my memory serves, the Atlantian flood was put at around 10,000 BCE coinciding with the end of the last ice age.
Namaste
AL

“We live at the level of our language. Whatever we can articulate we can imagine or explore. All you have to do to educate a child is leave him alone and teach him to read. The rest is brainwashing.”
Ellen Gilcrist
Visit my website
www.n-atlantis.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 6:22PM #4
TheWhiteHart

Fayoum is an interesting place. The Asiatics gained a foothold in the area, and then the Hyksos, further down in the delta. The Ipuwer papyrus claimed that foreigners came and took the mummies from the caskets, and buried themselves in them. Should be interesting to see who is buried where, and if they are Egyptian or not.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook