Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Can a cohesive community become our higher self?
4 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2010 - 4:41AM #1
Dareesedelrae

Can a cohesive community and a sense of belonging  become our higher self? And be a substitute or parallel  a belief in God? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2010 - 12:27PM #2
Jcarlinbn

Please Welcome Dareesedelrae 

to the Science and Religion boards and to  beliefnet.

Thanks for joining us.

Apr 12, 2010 -- 4:41AM, Dareesedelrae wrote:

Can a cohesive community and a sense of belonging  become our higher self? And be a substitute for a belief in God? 

It depends on what you mean by a cohesive community.  If you mean the village, either global or local I don't think it would be possible.  

As a self chosen community among like minded friends and friends of friends I think it is the only way to replace the community of God believers.  My chosen community has a similar set or mores, a similar rational approach to problem solving and a similar view that the only important activities are those that affect our community.  Ourselves certainly, but the effects on the community reflect back on us.  I am reminded of the famous image of the drop of water on a still water surface.  Certainly the ripples radiate outward, but the reflection inward is the dominant effect of the action.  

I don't really need a substitute for God.  I never had one to substitute for, and all the meaning and purpose I need comes from and is directed toward that community that will carry on my legacy after I no longer can.   

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2010 - 12:15PM #3
Seefan

Apr 12, 2010 -- 4:41AM, Dareesedelrae wrote:

Can a cohesive community and a sense of belonging become our higher self? And be a substitute or parallel  a belief in God? 

I don't think a community of any sort can be a substitute for God or a belief in God.  While I believe in God working through people God transends humanity and gives direction for the advancement and development of community.  That's not to say Atheist haven't found a degree of peace and contentment for they abide by the same rules ...

always imho of course ...

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2010 - 10:32PM #4
Jcarlinbn

Apr 13, 2010 -- 12:15PM, Seefan wrote:

That's not to say Atheist haven't found a degree of peace and contentment for they abide by the same rules ...

True they abide by the same rules, but the rules are fundamental not God.  In other words God has no choice but promote rules that are good for the society of believers, and by and large those rules would be good for any society.  Do not lie, cheat, steal, kill, respect authority beginning with parents and going on from there, to God if religious, to other authorities worthy of respect if not.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2010 - 12:05AM #5
Dareesedelrae

The reason I've asked this particular question is that I've come across a website

the-aaahh.org that is building a community /relationships on a vibrational level. I've read through the website and it looks like it would be something I would like to do. For me, God/Love is a vibration. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the information. I'd appreciate a second opinion if possible.

And thank you so much for your comments. I'm just a beginner here so it's nice to get to know some peopleSmile

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2010 - 10:25AM #6
Seefan

Apr 13, 2010 -- 10:32PM, Jcarlinbn wrote:

Apr 13, 2010 -- 12:15PM, Seefan wrote:

That's not to say Atheist haven't found a degree of peace and contentment for they abide by the same rules ...

True they abide by the same rules, but the rules are fundamental not God.  In other words God has no choice but promote rules that are good for the society of believers, and by and large those rules would be good for any society.  Do not lie, cheat, steal, kill, respect authority beginning with parents and going on from there, to God if religious, to other authorities worthy of respect if not.  

You speak as if God existed He would have to be contained within religion ...

It is my understanding that God created creation and put in place all of the laws, both physical and spiritual, for His creation to operate ...

If true it doesn't matter that one believes these laws evolved as a result of learning to get along since God also created evolutionary laws ...

imho of course ...

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2010 - 11:29AM #7
Jcarlinbn

Apr 14, 2010 -- 10:25AM, Seefan wrote:

It is my understanding that God created creation and put in place all of the laws, both physical and spiritual, for His creation to operate ...

A concise explanation of the fundamental and irreconcilable difference between a theist and an atheist view of God.  

Thank you.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2010 - 11:56AM #8
Jcarlinbn

Apr 14, 2010 -- 12:05AM, Dareesedelrae wrote:

the-aaahh.org that is building a community /relationships on a vibrational level. I've read through the website and it looks like it would be something I would like to do. For me, God/Love is a vibration. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the information. I'd appreciate a second opinion if possible.

First and shallow interpretation of the site is that it is yet another social networking site based on a slightly different woo-woo substituting for God.  If it resonates for you it might be worth a deeper look, but I might suggest exploring beliefnet or another social networking group that is in line with your main interests.  Many topic interest organizations are developing a social site, eg community.sfsymphony.org/  Personally, I would rather build my community around a common interest and find people with similar spirituality there, than dabbling in spirituality and trying to find common interests.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2010 - 1:11PM #9
Seefan

Apr 14, 2010 -- 11:56AM, Jcarlinbn wrote:

Apr 14, 2010 -- 12:05AM, Dareesedelrae wrote:

First and shallow interpretation of the site is that it is yet another social networking site based on a slightly different woo-woo substituting for God.  If it resonates for you it might be worth a deeper look, but I might suggest exploring beliefnet or another social networking group that is in line with your main interests.  Many topic interest organizations are developing a social site, eg community.sfsymphony.org/  Personally, I would rather build my community around a common interest and find people with similar spirituality there, than dabbling in spirituality and trying to find common interests.  

Sounds like good advice ...

As an aside has exploringside taken a leave of absence? Undecided

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2010 - 1:19PM #10
Seefan

Apr 14, 2010 -- 11:29AM, Jcarlinbn wrote:

Apr 14, 2010 -- 10:25AM, Seefan wrote:

A concise explanation of the fundamental and irreconcilable difference between a theist and an atheist view of God.  

Thank you.  

Yes quite an impass ...

That's one of the results of God's gift of free will ... Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook