Page 2 of 11  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Social Chit-Chat and Other Off-Topic Stuff
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 1:34PM #11
teilhard

Apr 9, 2010 -- 9:10AM, Christianlib wrote:

Apr 8, 2010 -- 1:36PM, rangerken wrote:

Acting with compassion is something that is done by both believers and non-believers. It doesn't matter who does it. acting in a moral and compassionate way to the benefit of others is just the right thing to do. Believers like me think that's the way God wants us to act. non--believers think it's just the moral way to act. both are right!

well done Teilhard.

Ken

What is really confusing, and disturbing, is when we see self-professed "believers" who speak and act in very non-compassionate, intolerant, and hurtful ways.

And anyone who says they don't see that is either lying, or playing blind.

The Term for such mis-behavior is, "sin" ...

I thank "God" that "God" Is Gracious and Merciful ... even when "God's" People are NOT ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 1:50PM #12
Wendyness

Apr 9, 2010 -- 12:01PM, Christianlib wrote:

Apr 9, 2010 -- 11:40AM, Wendyness wrote:

Acting with compassion is something that is done by both believers and non-believers. It doesn't matter who does it. acting in a moral and compassionate way to the benefit of others is just the right thing to do. Believers like me think that's the way God wants us to act. non--believers think it's just the moral way to act. both are right!

well done Teilhard.

Ken

What is really confusing, and disturbing, is when we see self-professed "believers" who speak and act in very non-compassionate, intolerant, and hurtful ways.

Ah CL, we all have our shadow and as we have seen most would like to deny it.  I assume you are speaking of the "fundies"? 

Not necessarily.  And, most importantly, I am not saying that I personnally never fall short of the mark.

The shadow does pop up most unexpectedly, I flush with embarrassment when I see my shadow. "Did I actually say that?", "Yes you did."  It makes me squirm. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 1:55PM #13
teilhard

Apr 9, 2010 -- 1:50PM, Wendyness wrote:

well done Teilhard.

Ken

Ah CL, we all have our shadow and as we have seen most would like to deny it.  I assume you are speaking of the "fundies"? 

Not necessarily.  And, most importantly, I am not saying that I personnally never fall short of the mark.

The shadow does pop up most unexpectedly, I flush with embarrassment when I see my shadow. "Did I actually say that?", "Yes you did."  It makes me squirm. 

We Humans Bear and Express The Imago Dei AND The Imago Vermes ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 2:00PM #14
Christianlib

Call it "the shadow", call it "de debil", call it Yin or Yang, whatever.  I simply call it being human.  Long before I got to be 62 yrs old, I had to come to terms with my own lack of perfection. In a personal case, it is important to be comfortable with oneself.  On an interpersonal level, the recognition of human "failings" means, for instance, that one must realize one loves his wife not "in spite of" her faults and foibles, but actually FOR those very characteristics.

Ceasing to judge oneself too harshly is the beginning of being able to resist judging others harshly.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 2:00PM #15
Wendyness

Apr 9, 2010 -- 1:55PM, teilhard wrote:

well done Teilhard.

Ken

Squirm like a worm.  "Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 2:09PM #16
Wendyness

Apr 9, 2010 -- 2:00PM, Christianlib wrote:

Call it "the shadow", call it "de debil", call it Yin or Yang, whatever.  I simply call it being human.  Long before I got to be 62 yrs old, I had to come to terms with my own lack of perfection. In a personal case, it is important to be comfortable with oneself.  On an interpersonal level, the recognition of human "failings" means, for instance, that one must realize one loves his wife not "in spite of" her faults and foibles, but actually FOR those very characteristics.

Ceasing to judge oneself too harshly is the beginning of being able to resist judging others harshly.

Embracing our humanness, I find laughter is the best medicine, nothing better than a good laugh at oneself.

I have a girlfriend that went grocery shopping and in the morning put on the pair of jeans she had worn the day before, not realizing her panties from the day before were stuck in the leg of her jean.  Unbeknownst to her, as she is walking through the store, her panties fall out onto the floor. She is standing in line at the check out stand when a man approached her and said, I think these are yours.  She said she took one look at them and recognized them as hers, but........she lied and denied it.  She stayed flushed for days.   I still howl at her humiliation. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 2:12PM #17
Christianlib

As an extension of this, I had an interesting juxtaposition of thoughts today.  On another board there is discussion of the problems in the Roman Catholic Church with priests molesting young people, and the cover ups that ensued.

In thinking of that, it occurred to me that Priestly Celibacy, in and ot itself, is not the point.  If it were, it could easily be achieved by the expedience of castration upon ordinatoin.  After all, if you have taken a vow that you will not use the equipment, you have no need to keep the equipment.  Nope.  The point is, the TEST of celibacy; the struggle, the fight.  AND, what good is passing a test if one cannot point with some disdain at others who were "weak" and failed the test?

By extension, the same conclusion can be drawn about the Fundamentalist (ALL Fundamentalists, protestant, Catholic, Islamic, etc.) contention that the nature of homosexuality is not a natural, inborn state, but a choice.  After all, the prideful and righteous Fundy MUST be able to see themselves as bravely and righteously CHOOSING to not be gay or lesbian, and thereby "passing", while, there MUST be an other who has "failed", and is therefore damned.  What good is being Saved if you can't view with a feeling of pity and contempt, those whom you feel are damned?

Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 2:24PM #18
teilhard

Apr 9, 2010 -- 2:00PM, Wendyness wrote:

Apr 9, 2010 -- 1:55PM, teilhard wrote:

well done Teilhard.

Ken

Squirm like a worm.  

"Squirm-like-a-Worm" ... Wasn't that a Dance Fad back in the Early 60s ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 2:26PM #19
Christianlib

What EVER you do, Fr. T., please do not "Bend Over and Let Me See You Shake a Tail Feather."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 2:28PM #20
teilhard

Apr 9, 2010 -- 2:09PM, Wendyness wrote:

Apr 9, 2010 -- 2:00PM, Christianlib wrote:

Embracing our humanness, I find laughter is the best medicine, nothing better than a good laugh at oneself.

I have a girlfriend that went grocery shopping and in the morning put on the pair of jeans she had worn the day before, not realizing her panties from the day before were stuck in the leg of her jean.  Unbeknownst to her, as she is walking through the store, her panties fall out onto the floor. She is standing in line at the check out stand when a man approached her and said, I think these are yours.  She said she took one look at them and recognized them as hers, but........she lied and denied it.  She stayed flushed for days.   I still howl at her humiliation. 

What's even FUNNIER -- but possibly Tragically so -- is when that kindly helpful Fella had to EXPLAIN to his Significant Other WHOSE Panties those were in his pants pocket, and HOW he got hold of 'em ... !!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 11  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook