Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Social Chit-Chat and Other Off-Topic Stuff
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 9:41PM #101
Wendyness

Lauren was not a risk taker, see full article if you are interested in the tragic story:

today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37003327/print/1/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 11:46AM #102
teilhard

... Prayers going up ...

May 16, 2010 -- 1:46PM, Wendyness wrote:

Has anyone read or heard the story of the 25 year old New Jersey woman that was eaten by a Croc in India while snorkeling?  She was good friends with my good friends son and daughter-in-law.  The older sister of this woman was killed 4 years ago in a freak rock climbing accident.  The poor parents having to endure two tragic deaths of their daughters!  

I can't imagine the loss these parents must feel.  

If you have faith in prayers, please say and send some for these parents, they are raging at the world right now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 12:12PM #103
Wendyness

Thanks Teilhard.  I woke up at 4:30 this morning thinking about these poor parents and said my prayers.  Couldn't go back to sleep.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 12:23PM #104
Christianlib
Wendy,
First, Prayers, of course.

Second, some of the responses here lead directly to the question of whether an individual's lack of compassion produces a "blame the victim" mentality, or if the compulsion to blame the victim leads to a lack of compassion?
Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 12:27PM #105
teilhard

"Love" often means Shared Pain ...

May 17, 2010 -- 12:12PM, Wendyness wrote:

Thanks Teilhard.  I woke up at 4:30 this morning thinking about these poor parents and said my prayers.  Couldn't go back to sleep.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2010 - 12:46PM #106
teilhard

Meteorological "Autumn" commences this Week here in Minnesota ... My FAVORITE Season ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 10:58PM #107
teilhard

June, 2012 ... Hot, stormy, wet ... The Mosquitoes LOVE it this Way ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 22, 2013 - 9:03PM #108
stardustpilgrim

Doctor Who fans...... If you're a fan I guess you saw the season finale last Saturday night, excellent episode.....it explained the Impossible girl Clara (she has already died twice.....as a totally separate person). Spoiler alert for fans of current Doctor Who Matt Smith, if you haven't seen the episode yet. ...................

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.........................The 11th Doctor died at the end.....as he was dying he talks to the 12th Doctor in shadow (as this episode ends, The Doctor is forced by the bad guy to go to his (future) grave, so it's the ultimate crossing of the Doctor's own timelines (a real no-no). But as it ends, we see who the 12th Doctor will be......

The great John Hurt......should be an awesome next season..........

sdp

The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 26, 2013 - 8:54PM #109
stardustpilgrim

Faustus ........I stumbled upon a film you might be interested in. It's called The Man From Earth, more specifically, Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth. Jerome Bixby was a science fiction writer who wrote some of most famous episodes on the original Star Trek (Mirror Mirror) and The Twilight Zone. I very rarely watch the extra's on a DVD but I watched all of the ones here, and the majority of two different commentaries (you can by-pass these :-(...... 

Bixby first had the idea for the story when he was 23, in 1946. He worked on it over the years and finished the story on his deathbed, with his son taking notes. It's a philosophical science fiction story, takes place in one night of conversation in the main character's log cabin. He is a university professor, who, after ten years has decided to move on and his friends gather to say goodbye, most of them also professors in various fields.

As they gather one makes the comment that John hasn't seemed to age in the ten years she has known him, as she herself has. John decides to tell them why he must move on. ......Made in 2007 after the son trying many years to get it made, I picked the film off a philosophical film list knowing almost nothing about it. I consider it a lucky blind pick (gotten from Netflix). A sweet little independent film, rehearsed for five days, shot in eight days. A couple of actors you would recognize if a science fiction (various incarnations of Star Trek) fan.

Now, I don't know how to further entice you without giving anything away. If you research it at all the basic premise will be given away....you probably get to it about ten minutes into the movie anyway. It works for me, I liked it. It's worth a chance on 1 & 1/2 hours of your time.....I'd guess.....

sdp  

The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.

A map is not the territory.                                                                 Alfred Korzybski

God is that function in the world by reason of which our purposes are directed to ends which in our own consciousness are impartial as to our own interests. He is that element in life in virtue of which judgment stretches beyond facts of existence to values of existence.      Alfred North Whitehead
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Nov 17, 2013 - 7:05AM #110
stardustpilgrim

Concerning post #108, it seems that John Hurt is not the 12th Doctor (sort of spoiler alert coming up....NOW.......), but is a lost Doctor in-between......there......somewhere (of course, it can happen....The Doctor being a Time Lord....stuff like that is inevitable :-). We find out what this is all about next Saturday, November 23, 2013 with the 50th Anniversary special of Doctor Who, on BBC America....... What happened that caused everyone (I presume even he himself too) to lose track of the in-between Doctor?

Can't wait.

sdp

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook