Post Reply
Page 5 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Non-realism about God
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 5:56PM #41
Blü
Posts: 24,929

AL


The fact that information was exchanged at all is sufficient to destroy  the argument.


So exactly what information about reality did the spirit tell you that you didn't know before?


Or was it all emotional stuff, regarding the usual range of hopes and anxieties in a move?


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 6:05PM #42
Cryano
Posts: 2,828

Mar 9, 2010 -- 5:56PM, Blü wrote:


AL


The fact that information was exchanged at all is sufficient to destroy the argument.


So exactly what information about reality did the spirit tell you that you didn't know before?


Or was it all emotional stuff, regarding the usual range of hopes and anxieties in a move?




Maybe the spirit told him where the rainbow ends. Ya think?

Religion is the longest running most successful con game in history. It works because the victims never realize they have been taken. They die first.

Although certain modern catholics are beginning to see the light.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 6:45PM #43
caduceus
Posts: 1,274


Post #30
My message involved myself and my wife moving house, something I'm sure you are not interested in. If you want a personal reading for yourself I would be glad to do you one by PM.

Science, having instilled the idea that we are purposeless biological machines, living in an accidental universe takes no responsibility for the obvious psychological implications of someone taking it seriously.
Namaste
AL



I already posted about the contents of the communication and obviously some don't read the posts. The spirit that answered was not god, there are others.

Mar 9, 2010 -- 10:53AM, Kwinters wrote:



Sure, we can all talk and answer with voices in our heads.

However, only the mentally disturbed think those voices are something other than their own invention and imagination.

If you do, perhaps tin-foil hats are in order.



I find this post a little strange as only a day or so ago I looking for info for someone else and came upon this link:
www.upliftprogram.com/depression_stats.h...
If anyone cares to search the somewhat extensive archives they will find that scientific studies have found the those who are spiritually inclined are less likely to suffer from mental problems than the rest of the population and the stronger the belief the less likely, somewhat at odds with the post.
On the other hand, I used to read the web pages of a psychiatrist who specialised in treating science undergraduates who had lost their sense of identity due to the materialist nature of science.

KWinters, one atheist vicar does not cancell reality.

Namaste
AL

“We live at the level of our language. Whatever we can articulate we can imagine or explore. All you have to do to educate a child is leave him alone and teach him to read. The rest is brainwashing.”
Ellen Gilcrist
Visit my website
www.n-atlantis.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 6:51PM #44
caduceus
Posts: 1,274

Mar 9, 2010 -- 4:03PM, Ken wrote:


Mar 9, 2010 -- 3:59PM, Jcarlinbn wrote:


Mar 9, 2010 -- 12:35PM, Ken wrote:

 Come now. When somebody says "I chatted with a spirit being today," a rational person knows what to think. 


I know many rational theists who would also know what to think. Perhaps you can provide us with a rational answer complete with clear logically impeccable premises using airtight logic to get to your conclusion.  



Rational theists don't actually engage in conversations with God as though they were chatting with their next-door neighbors.




How would you know that?


Namaste


AL

“We live at the level of our language. Whatever we can articulate we can imagine or explore. All you have to do to educate a child is leave him alone and teach him to read. The rest is brainwashing.”
Ellen Gilcrist
Visit my website
www.n-atlantis.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 6:52PM #45
teilhard
Posts: 51,092

Mar 9, 2010 -- 6:45PM, caduceus wrote:



Post #30
My message involved myself and my wife moving house, something I'm sure you are not interested in. If you want a personal reading for yourself I would be glad to do you one by PM.

Science, having instilled the idea that we are purposeless biological machines, living in an accidental universe takes no responsibility for the obvious psychological implications of someone taking it seriously.
Namaste
AL



I already posted about the contents of the communication and obviously some don't read the posts. The spirit that answered was not god, there are others.

Mar 9, 2010 -- 10:53AM, Kwinters wrote:








KWinters, one atheist vicar does not cancell reality.

Namaste
AL




In spite of The Reverence for Him, Lord NostraDawkins is NEITHER Prophet NOR Pope ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 6:53PM #46
Ken
Posts: 33,859

Mar 9, 2010 -- 6:51PM, caduceus wrote:


Mar 9, 2010 -- 4:03PM, Ken wrote:


Rational theists don't actually engage in conversations with God as though they were chatting with their next-door neighbors.




How would you know that?


I'm acquainted with rational theists.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 7:06PM #47
Curious_Soul
Posts: 775

Mar 9, 2010 -- 6:45PM, caduceus wrote:



Mar 9, 2010 -- 10:53AM, Kwinters wrote:



Sure, we can all talk and answer with voices in our heads.

However, only the mentally disturbed think those voices are something other than their own invention and imagination.

If you do, perhaps tin-foil hats are in order.



I find this post a little strange as only a day or so ago I looking for info for someone else and came upon this link:
www.upliftprogram.com/depression_stats.h...
If anyone cares to search the somewhat extensive archives they will find that scientific studies have found the those who are spiritually inclined are less likely to suffer from mental problems than the rest of the population and the stronger the belief the less likely, somewhat at odds with the post.
On the other hand, I used to read the web pages of a psychiatrist who specialised in treating science undergraduates who had lost their sense of identity due to the materialist nature of science.

KWinters, one atheist vicar does not cancell reality.

Namaste
AL




 


That article is about 'depression'... not necessarily "mental problems" as a whole....depression IS a "mental problem" to quote you...... BUT not the same as what kw refered to as "mentally disturbed"...completely different me thinks


 




Just Curious!

Mohinder: [Voiceover] Where does it come from? This quest? This need to solve lifes mysteries when the simpliest of questions can never be answered. Why are we here? What is the soul? Why do we dream? Perhaps we would be better off not looking at all. Not delving. Not yearning. But that's not human nature. Not the human heart. That is not why we are here. Yet still we struggle to make a difference. To change the world. To dream of hope. Never knowing for certain who we'll meet along the way. Who, among the world of strangers, will hold our hand. Touch our hearts. And share the pain of trying. __Heroes

A happy person needs no religion; a happy person needs no temple, no church -- because for a happy person the whole universe is a temple, the whole existence is a church. The happy person has nothing like religious activity because his whole life is religious.__Osho
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 7:13PM #48
Curious_Soul
Posts: 775

Mar 9, 2010 -- 6:45PM, caduceus wrote:



On the other hand, I used to read the web pages of a psychiatrist who specialised in treating science undergraduates who had lost their sense of identity due to the materialist nature of science.




 


That sounds like an interesting read.... source?


 


And this ...


"Ok, leaving aside the content of your 'conversation'.....in what way did you communicate..what method...did you see a being....or tarot ..or just your intuition...can you expand more ?"


I heard a voice(outside my head) before myself so im not gonna be judgin ya

Just Curious!

Mohinder: [Voiceover] Where does it come from? This quest? This need to solve lifes mysteries when the simpliest of questions can never be answered. Why are we here? What is the soul? Why do we dream? Perhaps we would be better off not looking at all. Not delving. Not yearning. But that's not human nature. Not the human heart. That is not why we are here. Yet still we struggle to make a difference. To change the world. To dream of hope. Never knowing for certain who we'll meet along the way. Who, among the world of strangers, will hold our hand. Touch our hearts. And share the pain of trying. __Heroes

A happy person needs no religion; a happy person needs no temple, no church -- because for a happy person the whole universe is a temple, the whole existence is a church. The happy person has nothing like religious activity because his whole life is religious.__Osho
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 7:19PM #49
caduceus
Posts: 1,274

Mar 9, 2010 -- 6:53PM, Ken wrote:


Mar 9, 2010 -- 6:51PM, caduceus wrote:


Mar 9, 2010 -- 4:03PM, Ken wrote:


Rational theists don't actually engage in conversations with God as though they were chatting with their next-door neighbors.




How would you know that?


I'm acquainted with rational theists.




You mean the ones that don't believe in god?

“We live at the level of our language. Whatever we can articulate we can imagine or explore. All you have to do to educate a child is leave him alone and teach him to read. The rest is brainwashing.”
Ellen Gilcrist
Visit my website
www.n-atlantis.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 7:27PM #50
Ken
Posts: 33,859

Mar 9, 2010 -- 7:19PM, caduceus wrote:


Mar 9, 2010 -- 6:53PM, Ken wrote:


Mar 9, 2010 -- 6:51PM, caduceus wrote:


Mar 9, 2010 -- 4:03PM, Ken wrote:


Rational theists don't actually engage in conversations with God as though they were chatting with their next-door neighbors.




How would you know that?


I'm acquainted with rational theists.




You mean the ones that don't believe in god?



They're not that rational.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook