Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Reality of Christmas
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 4:15PM #11
Ken

Jan 3, 2010 -- 4:06PM, he-man wrote:

Thank you but you did not wait for me to finish:  archeology or the branch of anthropology that studies prehistoric people and their cultures

The study of prehistoric people falls under the sub-branch of paleoarcheology or paleoanthropology. Archeology frequently deals with historical cultures, as does anthropology as a whole. Indeed, anthropologists often study contemporary cultures.  

I am not interested in any further discussion of whether or not this thread belongs in this forum. It's here. I suggest you either appeal to Merope or make the best of it.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 4:31PM #12
he-man

Jan 3, 2010 -- 4:15PM, Ken wrote:

Jan 3, 2010 -- 4:06PM, he-man wrote:

Thank you but you did not wait for me to finish:  archeology or the branch of anthropology that studies prehistoric people and their cultures

The study of prehistoric people falls under the sub-branch of paleoarcheology or paleoanthropology. Archeology frequently deals with historical cultures, as does anthropology as a whole. Indeed, anthropologists often study contemporary cultures.  

I am not interested in any further discussion of whether or not this thread belongs in this forum. It's here. I suggest you either appeal to Merope or make the best of it. 

Thank you but you did not wait for me to finish:  archeology or the branch of anthropology that studies prehistoric people and their cultures and paleoanthropology is the scientific study of human fossils; palaeontology is the science of the study of geological periods through the study of fossil evidence.

Paleoanthropology, which combines the disciplines of paleontology and physical anthropology, is the study of ancient humans as found in fossil hominid evidence such as petrifacted bones and footprints.

So, I make no bones about it, this is a  PRESENT day event presented on the History Channel last month.

www.bing.com/reference/semhtml/Companion..

1Ch 25:5  All these were the sons of Heman the king’s seer (chozeh= to see) in the words of God, to lift up the horn.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 4:42PM #13
Ken

Jan 3, 2010 -- 4:31PM, he-man wrote:

Thank you but you did not wait for me to finish

Well, why don't you finish writing your posts before you submit them?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 4:48PM #14
he-man

Jan 3, 2010 -- 4:42PM, Ken wrote:

Jan 3, 2010 -- 4:31PM, he-man wrote:

Thank you but you did not wait for me to finish

Well, why don't you finish writing your posts before you submit them?

Okay here it is:   archeology or the branch of anthropology that studies prehistoric people and their cultures and paleoanthropology is the scientific study of human fossils; palaeontology is the science of the study of geological periods through the study of fossil evidence.

Paleoanthropology, which combines the disciplines of paleontology and physical anthropology, is the study of ancient humans as found in fossil hominid evidence such as petrifacted bones and footprints.

So, I make no bones about it, this is a  PRESENT day event presented on the History Channel last month.

1Ch 25:5  All these were the sons of Heman the king’s seer (chozeh= to see) in the words of God, to lift up the horn.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 5:12PM #15
Ken

Jan 3, 2010 -- 4:48PM, he-man wrote:

So what? This forum includes discussions of anthropology, and anthropology isn't limited to paleoanthropology, archeology, or paleoarcheology. Discussions of contemporary folkways in Styria come under the heading of cultural anthropology and undoubtedly belong in this forum. I don't see how they would have the slightest relevance to Christian-to-Christian Debate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 5:32PM #16
Ken

Jan 2, 2010 -- 3:45PM, Ken wrote:

Jan 2, 2010 -- 10:19AM, he-man wrote:

To sum it all up here is your SANTA CLAUS:

Not really. The material you cite makes it clear that Krampus is a companion of Santa Claus and functions as a kind of anti-Santa. Santa brings gifts for good children; Krampus punishes bad children. They're two separate figures.

Bump. Let's stay on-topic, shall we?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 6:05PM #17
Ken

Jan 3, 2010 -- 3:21PM, he-man wrote:

You can also check out the other names used for the helpers (elves) of Santa:“buttenmandl” “knecht reprecht” “Zwarte Piet”  ” Bellzebub”  “Balthazar” .It is an alternate form of the Babylonian king Belshazzar, mentioned in the Book of Daniel.

In a Western Christian tradition dating to the eighth century, Balthazar is also one of the three Magi who brought gifts to the infant Jesus. The other two are identified as Caspar and Melchior. In Spanish-speaking countries, the Magi play the gift-giving role assigned elsewhere to Santa Claus. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 7:23PM #18
he-man

Jan 3, 2010 -- 6:05PM, Ken wrote:

Jan 3, 2010 -- 3:21PM, he-man wrote:

You can also check out the other names used for the helpers (elves) of Santa:“buttenmandl” “knecht reprecht” “Zwarte Piet”  ” Bellzebub”  “Balthazar” .It is an alternate form of the Babylonian king Belshazzar, mentioned in the Book of Daniel.

In a Western Christian tradition dating to the eighth century, Balthazar is also one of the three Magi who brought gifts to the infant Jesus. The other two are identified as Caspar and Melchior. In Spanish-speaking countries, the Magi play the gift-giving role assigned elsewhere to Santa Claus.

Are we getting off the subject?

www.bing.com/reference/semhtml/Companion...

No 1 there is nowhere in the Bible mentioned 3 wisemen or their names. It only says three gifts were presented to Christ in a house much later than when Christ was born.

It also was stated earlier in this post that the Companions travel with St. Nicholas (also called Father Christmas or Santa Claus), carrying with them a rod (sometimes a stick and in modern times often a broom) and a sack.
These Krampusumzüge (Krampus runs) still exist, although perhaps less violent than in the past. The companions are depicted having a long red tongue, with a tail and little red horns.
In some of the Ruprecht traditions, the children would be summoned to the door to perform tricks, such as a dance or singing a song to impress upon Santa and Ruprecht that they were indeed good children. Those who performed badly would be beaten soundly by Servant Ruprecht, and those who performed well were given a gift or some treats.

Those who performed badly enough or had committed other misdeeds throughout the year were put into Ruprecht's sack and taken away, variously to Ruprecht’s home in the Black Forest to be consumed later, or to be tossed into a river.

Are you trying to say that this method of lying and scaring children to death does not exist TODAY?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 7:32PM #19
Ken

Jan 3, 2010 -- 7:23PM, he-man wrote:

No 1 there is nowhere in the Bible mentioned 3 wisemen or their names. It only says three gifts were presented to Christ in a house much later than when Christ was born.

According to Matthew, the gifts were given by magi. The rest is tradition.

Are you trying to say that this method of lying and scaring children to death does not exist TODAY?

I doubt very much that children are being scared to death. It's a quaint folk custom. We don't follow that custom here. If they want to follow it in Styria, that's up to them.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 7:51PM #20
he-man

Jan 3, 2010 -- 7:32PM, Ken wrote:

Jan 3, 2010 -- 7:23PM, he-man wrote:

According to Matthew, the gifts were given by magi. The rest is tradition.

I doubt very much that children are being scared to death. It's a quaint folk custom. We don't follow that custom here. If they want to follow it in Styria, that's up to them.  

The Church isn't pulling the wool over anyone's eyes (or even trying to? come on now.. You do not lie to children about a Kris Kringle or the devil?

You did not read what I quoted from the History Channel showing a Live Video that People STILL do observe that TODAY beating children and scaring them! Today not 20 years ago, TODAY!

Today, in Schladming, a town in Styria, over 1200 "Krampus" gather from all over Austria wearing goat-hair costumes and carved masks, carrying bundles of sticks used as switches, and swinging cowbells to warn of their approach.

www.bing.com/reference/semhtml/Companion...

Styria (German: Steiermark, Slovene: Štajerska, Prekmurian: Štájersko) is a state or Bundesland, located in the southeast of Austria. In area, it is the second largest of the nine Austrian states, covering 16,388 km². It borders Slovenia as well as the other Austrian states of Upper Austria, Lower Austria, Salzburg, Burgenland, and Carinthia. The population (as of 2006) was 1,203,986. The capital city is Graz.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook