Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 16 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Scientific Rationale
8 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2010 - 8:59PM #151
Wendyness

Mar 8, 2010 -- 12:50PM, caduceus wrote:

And now we might add something concerning a certain most subtle spirit which pervades and lies hid in all gross bodies; by the force and action of which spirit the particles of bodies attract one another at near distances, and cohere, if contiguous; and electric bodies operate to greater distances, as well repelling as attracting the neighboring corpuscles; and light is emitted, reflected, refracted, inflected, and heats bodies; and all sensation is excited, and the members of animal bodies move at the command of the will, namely, by the vibrations of this spirit, mutually propagated along the solid filaments of the nerves, from the outward organs of sense to the brain, and from the brain into the muscles. But these are things that cannot be explained in few words, nor are we furnished with that sufficiency of experiments which is required to an accurate determination and demonstration of the laws by which this electric and elastic spirit operates. [Sir Isaac Newton, Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosphy, Translated by Andrew Motte

The Emerald Tablet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2010 - 9:00PM #152
teilhard

Mar 10, 2010 -- 8:55PM, Christianlib wrote:

Do your own homework.

Traditional "'Fig' Newtons" have now evolved

to include "'Blueberry' Newtons" and "'Strawberry' Newtons," and so on ...

I'm sure Sir Izzy Newton never Imagined THOSE ... !!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2010 - 9:04PM #153
ozero

Since relativity?  Quantum physics which explains why your computer's microprocessor works.  Lasers which are everywhere today and do involve some pretty fancy physics.  The ability to manipulate individual atoms.  The components of those atoms, which were not even dreamed of when Einstein described relativity.  The Higgs Boson.  Lots more.  Is that enough to convince you that science hasn't stood still these last 100 years?  Do I need to go on?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2010 - 9:49PM #154
Wendyness

Mar 10, 2010 -- 9:00PM, teilhard wrote:

Do your own homework.

Sir Newton did have a very "active imagination".

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 1:48AM #155
Namchuck

Mar 10, 2010 -- 9:49PM, Wendyness wrote:

Do your own homework.

He was a bit emotionally challenged, though, wasn't he?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 5:25AM #156
caduceus

Mar 10, 2010 -- 9:04PM, ozero wrote:

Since relativity?  Quantum physics which explains why your computer's microprocessor works.  Lasers which are everywhere today and do involve some pretty fancy physics.  The ability to manipulate individual atoms.  The components of those atoms, which were not even dreamed of when Einstein described relativity.  The Higgs Boson.  Lots more.  Is that enough to convince you that science hasn't stood still these last 100 years?  Do I need to go on?

What you have listed is not progress but the illusion of progress that so many seem to think exists.

Explaining how a processor works is not the application of new technology derived FROM physics. The transistor in a microprocessor is not different from the first transistor of the 1940's - just smaller and 70 years ago.

The ability to manipulate atoms is a very general statement and needs to be more specific.

The Higgs Boson is a theoretical concept with no technological applications.

The laser is a development of the maser theorised by Nikolay Basov and Alexander Prokhorov dating back to the 1950's. Not new and not really based on today's physics.
Namaste
AL

“We live at the level of our language. Whatever we can articulate we can imagine or explore. All you have to do to educate a child is leave him alone and teach him to read. The rest is brainwashing.”
Ellen Gilcrist
Visit my website
www.n-atlantis.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 9:20AM #157
Christianlib

Mar 11, 2010 -- 1:48AM, Namchuck wrote:

Do your own homework.

Nobody's perfect.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 11:30AM #158
Wendyness

Mar 11, 2010 -- 1:48AM, Namchuck wrote:

Do your own homework.

As are most people that are "gifted", Einstein, Van Gogh, etc........but the world would not be the same without those who are considered "emotionally challenged".

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 12:30PM #159
ozero

Ok, Cad, so you want to move your date from 1908 (relativity) to the 40's or 50's.  

But you don't really, because you don't really want to move your thinking from 1900 to 2000.  I have no idea what you mean by "progress" and you don't seem to be able to explain yourself.  Think on it for awhile and come back.  What I listed is considered progress by most folks, perhaps you can list some things you consider progress in the last 200 years, if any has occured. 

You seem to think that what I consider progress is just something developed from something else.  Microprocessors are not the same as the first transistors (which, btw, did happen after relativity.)  They did build on the progress of trasistors.  Everything in science is built on on something done earlier.  "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."  Attributed to Issac Newton.

Manipulation of atoms, it's cool stuff:

www-03.ibm.co/press/us/en/pressrelease/2...

Almost all new theoretical concepts start out with no technological applications.  What the heck are you looking for?  Faster than light travel this week?  If you climb out of your cave you'll see that there has been enormous scientific and technological progress in the last 20 years, much less since 1908.  If you don't think so, then explain what you think progress is.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 5:55PM #160
caduceus

Mar 11, 2010 -- 12:30PM, ozero wrote:

Ok, Cad, so you want to move your date from 1908 (relativity) to the 40's or 50's.  

But you don't really, because you don't really want to move your thinking from 1900 to 2000.  I have no idea what you mean by "progress" and you don't seem to be able to explain yourself.  Think on it for awhile and come back.  What I listed is considered progress by most folks, perhaps you can list some things you consider progress in the last 200 years, if any has occured. 

You seem to think that what I consider progress is just something developed from something else.  Microprocessors are not the same as the first transistors (which, btw, did happen after relativity.)  They did build on the progress of trasistors.  Everything in science is built on on something done earlier.  "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."  Attributed to Issac Newton.

Manipulation of atoms, it's cool stuff:

www-03.ibm.co/press/us/en/pressrelease/2...

Almost all new theoretical concepts start out with no technological applications.  What the heck are you looking for?  Faster than light travel this week?  If you climb out of your cave you'll see that there has been enormous scientific and technological progress in the last 20 years, much less since 1908.  If you don't think so, then explain what you think progress is.

ozero
What I mean by progress in the context of this thread is the illusion that academic science is responsible for progress in technology and that in many areas there has been no progress.

I have mentioned transistors on the thread below and I think at some point I said, "with the exception of the transistor".
Be that as it may, the fact is that just about all of today's electronic technology is based on old physics, pre Einstein. All the circuits for TV and computers etc. are derived from the late nineteen early twentieth century. At that time and earlier it was the rule that a working technology was a good test of physics. Today, physics produces almost nothing of benefit to the public.
This all started with relativity and the hype that went with it, that said that we mere mortals were incapable of understanding the subtleties of science. It was at this point that science started to disappear up its own backside. Knowledge for knowledge sake - that really means doing exactly what they like without a need for justification.

The development of the microprocessor had nothing to do with academic science:

Ted Hoff, an Intel engineer developed the
concept for a general-purpose logic device would be a better, more efficient solution – his idea led to the development of the microprocessor.
www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/core2duo/pd...

The illusion.
We still generate electricity with steam engines just as the Victorians did.
The car that the salesman says is so much better than the last model is no different to a car of the 1930's, most improvements being cosmetic.
And so you see that little in the way of change to energy and transport has occurred in a hundred years and academic science does nothing but suggest windmills.
Namaste
AL

“We live at the level of our language. Whatever we can articulate we can imagine or explore. All you have to do to educate a child is leave him alone and teach him to read. The rest is brainwashing.”
Ellen Gilcrist
Visit my website
www.n-atlantis.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 16 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook