Post Reply
Page 1 of 75  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 75 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Speaking of Faith"
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2009 - 12:02PM #1
teilhard
Posts: 48,261

I have previously highly commended The National Public Radio Program,


"Speaking of Faith,"


hosted by Ms Krista Tippett ...


 


She also has published a slim companion volume


( "Speaking of Faith," 2007, Penguin )


which gives some of the Material from her Interviews


as well as background to her Views ...


 


A sample ...


p. 10 --


 


"Everyone speaks out of his or her own life, knowledge, and truth


 -- and never for all Christians, Muslims, or Buddhists,


for God, Qur'an, or the Bible.


 


I'm indebted to them all, and they have all formed my vocabulary


and imagination and approach.


 


They have filled the often vague, sometimes divisive words 'faith' and 'religion'


and 'spirituality' with luminous connotations and nuance.


 


They have also helped me understand that the words 'atheist' and 'agnostic'


are narrowing boxes in our culture as well.


 


Spiritual questions don't go away, nor does a sense of wonder and mystery cease,


in the absence of a belief in God ..."


 


Good Stuff ...


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2009 - 6:57PM #2
teilhard
Posts: 48,261

more ...


... from p. 67 ...


 


" ... sharp battle lines have been drawn since the Enlightenment


between the content of knowledge that religion describes


and the form of knowledge that science pursues.


 


The extremes of both positions are intolerant


toward the very notion of the other worldview.


 


They calcify into political modes of ideology and combative certainty.


 


They collapse the sense of mystery that is as alive at the heart of science


as of religion, two kindred never-ending pursuits of revelation and discovery ... "


 


 ... yes ...  BOTH, please ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2009 - 8:03PM #3
teilhard
Posts: 48,261

from op. cit., p. 108 --


 


"Develop 'eyes to see and ears to hear' --


a Biblical injunction that has come to make good sense to me.


 


Something mysterious happens when you train your eyes to see differently,


to attend to what you've been ignoring.


 


The experienced world actually changes shape.


 


There are parallels to this idea,


and versions of 'eyes to see and ears to hear'


in every religious tradition I've since come to know.


 


It is a natural consequence of the Buddhist drive to see reality,


see human suffering itself, so clearly, straight on,


that you can see straight through it ... "


 


"Experience"


indeed is prior to Thought ...


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2009 - 10:04PM #4
koala972
Posts: 863

Nov 19, 2009 -- 8:03PM, teilhard wrote:


from op. cit., p. 108 --


 


"Develop 'eyes to see and ears to hear' --


a Biblical injunction that has come to make good sense to me.


 


Something mysterious happens when you train your eyes to see differently,


to attend to what you've been ignoring.


 


The experienced world actually changes shape.


 


There are parallels to this idea,


and versions of 'eyes to see and ears to hear'


in every religious tradition I've since come to know.


 


It is a natural consequence of the Buddhist drive to see reality,


see human suffering itself, so clearly, straight on,


that you can see straight through it ... "


 


"Experience"


indeed is prior to Thought ...


 




it is like that heisenburg uncertainty principle thingy in science...  you can measure what you want, but, the very act of measuring one aspect of it inherently makes you blind to other aspects of it.  IOW what you expect to measure becomes in large part what you see, and other things slip off the radar.  When you don't focus on what you want so much that you've got to measure every aspect of it, other things eventually start slipping back onto the radar and you can see you were missing something...


In my experience, whether or not you start seeing something that 'people who seem to be in authority have chosen to agree isn't there' is purely a matter of how tight you want to hold on to what you've got or what you think you can get...


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2009 - 9:59AM #5
teilhard
Posts: 48,261

Nov 20, 2009 -- 12:40AM, Blü wrote:


teilhard


...  fuck 'em ...


 




 


Brother Blu --


As you already KNOW -- or have Reason to know -- by now,


I do NOT share your ( above ) Feelings and Attitudes


re: "God"


and "Religion"


and "Communities of Faith" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2009 - 6:47PM #6
Blü
Posts: 23,974

teilhard


As you already KNOW -- or have Reason to know -- by now, I do NOT share your ( above ) Feelings and Attitudes re: "God" and "Religion" and "Communities of Faith" ...


I know that very well indeed.


However my point was to underline your hypocrisy in affecting to get all dewy-eyed about 'faith' when you don't give a fig for your own faithful.


Or would be if you were what you claim you are.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2009 - 8:46AM #7
Miguel_de_servet
Posts: 17,050

Blü


Nov 20, 2009 -- 6:47PM, Blü wrote:

Nov 20, 2009 -- 9:59AM, teilhard wrote:

As you already KNOW -- or have Reason to know -- by now, I do NOT share your (above) Feelings and Attitudes re: "God" and "Religion" and "Communities of Faith" ...


I know that very well indeed.


However my point was to underline your hypocrisy in affecting to get all dewy-eyed about 'faith' when you don't give a fig for your own faithful.


Or would be if you were what you claim you are.


I think the answer to this is very simple indeed: if HDOO actually spoke of God, and Religion to real Communities of Faith, it would become manifest that his "God" and "Religion" and "Communities of Faith" are only vague, dubious and far removed "mystical relatives" of the God and Religion of those real Communities of Faith ... Surprised


MdS

Revelation is above, not against Reason

“The everlasting God is a refuge, and underneath you are his eternal arms ...” (Deut 33:27)
“Do you have an arm like God, and can you thunder with a voice like his?” (Job 40:9)
“By the Lord’s word [dabar] the heavens were made; and by the breath [ruwach] of his mouth all their host.” (Psalm 33:6)
“Who would have believed what we just heard? When was the arm of the Lord revealed through him?” (Isaiah 53:1)
“Lord, who has believed our message, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?” (John 12:38)
“For not the hearers of the law are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be declared righteous.” (Romans 2:13)

“Owe no one anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.”(Romans 13:8)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2009 - 12:42PM #8
teilhard
Posts: 48,261

Nov 20, 2009 -- 6:47PM, Blü wrote:


teilhard


However my point was to underline your hypocrisy in affecting to get all dewy-eyed about 'faith' when you don't give a fig for your own faithful.


Or would be if you were what you claim you are.




 


LOL ...


 


(1)  Excuse me ... ???


 


Who appointed YOU as my Bishop ... ???


 


(2)  On the OTHER Hand ...


"The Accuser" DOES delight in accusing


( The Revelation to John 12:10c ) ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2009 - 12:53PM #9
teilhard
Posts: 48,261

Nov 20, 2009 -- 9:59AM, teilhard wrote:


Nov 20, 2009 -- 12:40AM, Blü wrote:


teilhard


...  fuck 'em ...


 




 


Brother Blu --


As you already KNOW -- or have Reason to know -- by now,


I do NOT share your ( above ) Feelings and Attitudes


re: "God"


and "Religion"


and "Communities of Faith" ...





Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2009 - 6:11PM #10
Blü
Posts: 23,974

teilhard


Speaking of Faith ...


You tell us you're a Lutheran priest.  If that's true, Lutherans are your flock.


You want nothing to do with them.  You never have.


Duly noted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 75  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 75 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook