Page 49 of 54  •  Prev 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 54 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Meaning - from the very beginning
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:24PM #481
Blü

teilhard

such Compassion-as-a-Way-of-Life UNDERLINES the inherent  Universal MEANING of "Life" as "Good" AS a Central "Meaning" ... Yes ...  ???

It appears to affirm the importance of mirror neurons (or some equivalent) in socialization and compassion.  I don't think the evidence supports much more than that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:24PM #482
redshifted

Mar 3, 2010 -- 4:57PM, Wendyness wrote:

Very true and sad.  Life is not always good, more importantly that I am good in life, that I live a life that does not bring harm and  suffering to others and to be helpful to those that I come across that suffer.  To have compassion and to love is what makes life good.

I agree. To have pizza also makes life good. Hmmm, I think I'll have some tonight!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:34PM #483
Blü

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.'

When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them."

Gautama Buddha, The Kalama Sutra, tr. Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:35PM #484
redshifted

Mar 3, 2010 -- 4:56PM, teilhard wrote:

VERY few Organisms spend their lives writhing in Agony, cursing The Creator and yearning for The Release brought by Death ...

That's true. Most organisms have no clue about any creator to curse. Most can't curse anyway.

MOST of the Time "Life" IS mostly "Good" ... .

Not for most people.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:36PM #485
Wendyness

Mar 3, 2010 -- 5:34PM, Blü wrote:

"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.'

When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them."

Gautama Buddha, The Kalama Sutra, tr. Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Amen.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:39PM #486
teilhard

Mar 3, 2010 -- 5:35PM, redshifted wrote:

Mar 3, 2010 -- 4:56PM, teilhard wrote:

VERY few Organisms spend their lives writhing in Agony, cursing The Creator and yearning for The Release brought by Death ...

That's true. Most organisms have no clue about any creator to curse. Most can't curse anyway.

MOST of the Time "Life" IS mostly "Good" ... .

Not for most people.   

So ... You DO Imagine MOST People spending most of their Lives writing in Agony, cursing The Creator and YEARNING for Death ... ???

Is your Claim backed by Objective Observations/Data ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:46PM #487
redshifted

Oh why, oh why did I even try to engage in discussion with teilhard?  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:50PM #488
teilhard

Mar 3, 2010 -- 5:46PM, redshifted wrote:

Oh why, oh why did I even try to engage in discussion with teilhard?  

IOW, your Claim ISN'T backed by Objective Observations & Data ...

Your CLAIM that most Living Things DO spend most of their Lives writhing in Agony, cursing The Creator, and YEARNING for DEATH to RELEASE them from Suffering ... is nothing more than your own Impressionistic Subjective Projection ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:56PM #489
redshifted

Mar 3, 2010 -- 5:50PM, teilhard wrote:

IOW, your Claim ISN'T backed by Objective Observations & Data ...

What claim is that exactly? And why do you all of sudden care about objective data? I thought it was all about E-X-P-E-R-I-E-N-C-E...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:58PM #490
redshifted

Mar 3, 2010 -- 5:50PM, teilhard wrote:

Your CLAIM that most Living Things DO spend most of their Lives writhing in Agony, cursing The Creator, and YEARNING for DEATH to RELEASE them from Suffering ...

No, this was your imagined strawman. I never claimed that "most living things spend their lives writhing in Agony, cursing The Creator, and YEARNING  for DEATH, blah, blah...."

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 49 of 54  •  Prev 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 54 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook