Post Reply
Page 51 of 56  •  Prev 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 56 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Atheist" Theology ... ???
5 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2009 - 7:02PM #501
caduceus
Posts: 1,274

Oct 27, 2009 -- 6:55PM, Ken wrote:


Oct 27, 2009 -- 6:48PM, caduceus wrote:


sss.vn.ua/india/murtis/indexen.htm
They even have pictures of their gods here?



Those are Hindu gods.




The title says, large as life "Pictures of Hindu & Buddhist gods & goddesses, murtis.."

“We live at the level of our language. Whatever we can articulate we can imagine or explore. All you have to do to educate a child is leave him alone and teach him to read. The rest is brainwashing.”
Ellen Gilcrist
Visit my website
www.n-atlantis.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2009 - 7:04PM #502
Ken
Posts: 33,859

Oct 27, 2009 -- 7:02PM, caduceus wrote:


Oct 27, 2009 -- 6:55PM, Ken wrote:


Oct 27, 2009 -- 6:48PM, caduceus wrote:


sss.vn.ua/india/murtis/indexen.htm
They even have pictures of their gods here?



Those are Hindu gods.




The title says, large as life "Pictures of Hindu & Buddhist gods & goddesses, murtis.."



I know. The title is wrong. It's a Hindu website.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2009 - 7:22PM #503
caduceus
Posts: 1,274

According to the tathagatagarbha sutras, the Buddha also taught the existence of a spiritual essence called the tathagagatagarbha or Buddha-nature, which is present in all beings and phenomena. Dr. B. Alan Wallace writes of this doctrine:...

Professor C.D. Sebastian writes in his study of tathagatagarbha doctrine that Mahayana Buddhism is not merely intellectual, but also encompasses the sphere of devotion. Buddha is taken as the Supreme Reality - a kind of God who assumed human form in order to benefit all humanity:

Dr. Guang Xing writes: "The Buddha worshipped by Mahayanist followers is an omnipotent divinity endowed with numerous supernatural attributes and qualities ...[He] is described almost as an omnipotent and almighty godhead."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism#Go...



This is just the continuation of my own threads that there are many gods who are in the service of a spirit of the universe who inflicts not rules per se.
Namaste
AL

“We live at the level of our language. Whatever we can articulate we can imagine or explore. All you have to do to educate a child is leave him alone and teach him to read. The rest is brainwashing.”
Ellen Gilcrist
Visit my website
www.n-atlantis.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2009 - 7:33PM #504
Ken
Posts: 33,859

Oct 27, 2009 -- 7:22PM, caduceus wrote:

According to the tathagatagarbha sutras, the Buddha also taught the existence of a spiritual essence called the tathagagatagarbha or Buddha-nature, which is present in all beings and phenomena. Dr. B. Alan Wallace writes of this doctrine:...


Oh, that's just Mahayana Buddhism. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2009 - 3:59PM #505
teilhard
Posts: 51,511

Oct 26, 2009 -- 8:09PM, teilhard wrote:


Oct 25, 2009 -- 8:15PM, teilhard wrote:


Oct 24, 2009 -- 1:11PM, Faustus5 wrote:


 ...  Karen Armstrong's empty twaddle doesn't resemble the religion believed in by the vast majority of the planets theists.




 


LOL ...


 


So ... the Suggested Implication


is that speaking and writing ( supposed ) " ... empty twaddle ... "


puts her in The Company of "Atheists" ... ???




 


Yes ... ???  LOL ...





Hello ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2009 - 9:52AM #506
Faustus5
Posts: 2,023

Oct 28, 2009 -- 3:59PM, teilhard wrote:

LOL ...


 


So ... the Suggested Implication


is that speaking and writing ( supposed ) " ... empty twaddle ... "


puts her in The Company of "Atheists" ... ???


 


Yes ... ???  LOL ...



 


No, the emptiness of her twaddle is that, like you, she says absolutely nothing of substance but tries to dress it up with sophistry in order to offer the illusion of depth.  But unlike you, she can write.


Care to respond to the theologian I cited who also observed that her "god" bears little resemblance to the being he and his follow theists believe in?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 1:55PM #507
newchurchguy
Posts: 3,639

Oct 31, 2009 -- 9:52AM, Faustus5 wrote:


Oct 28, 2009 -- 3:59PM, teilhard wrote:

LOL ...


 


So ... the Suggested Implication


is that speaking and writing ( supposed ) " ... empty twaddle ... "


puts her in The Company of "Atheists" ... ???


 


Yes ... ???  LOL ...


 


No, the emptiness of her twaddle is that, like you, she says absolutely nothing of substance but tries to dress it up with sophistry in order to offer the illusion of depth.  But unlike you, she can write.


Care to respond to the theologian I cited who also observed that her "god" bears little resemblance to the being he and his follow theists believe in?



F1,


always falling back down to insult - as a substitute for argument - goes after a well respected author


Armstrong, who taught for a time at London's Leo Baeck rabbinic college, says she has been particularly inspired by the Jewish tradition's emphasis on practice as well as faith: "I say that religion isn't about believing things. It's about what you do. It's ethical alchemy. It's about behaving in a way that changes you, that gives you intimations of holiness and sacredness."



First - she promotes the key issue that religion is living life - not talking about it.


Second - The sum total of theists in the world is widely diverse and does not have a clear majority opinion - on the nature of god or gods.  Where religion counts is opinions and level of mandate for the practice of compassion and developing moral character.


The image and "bearing" of any visual image or icon of a god is overshadowed by the moral teaching.  Karen Armstrong is about reporting the commonality of religions.  Aiming at the graphical - when its the practicle output in the objective environemnt that counts - is the standard strawman offering.


f5 cannot seem to help the mudslinging and bad-mouthing of others, when they display ideas different from his own
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 3:19PM #508
teilhard
Posts: 51,511

Oct 31, 2009 -- 9:52AM, Faustus5 wrote:


Oct 28, 2009 -- 3:59PM, teilhard wrote:

LOL ...


 


So ... the Suggested Implication


is that speaking and writing ( supposed ) " ... empty twaddle ... "


puts her in The Company of "Atheists" ... ???


 


Yes ... ???  LOL ...



 


No, the emptiness of her twaddle is that, like you, she says absolutely nothing of substance but tries to dress it up with sophistry in order to offer the illusion of depth.  But unlike you, she can write.


Care to respond to the theologian I cited who also observed that her "god" bears little resemblance to the being he and his follow theists believe in?




It's always some Version of "Zeus 2.0"


with you,


isn't it ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 4:10PM #509
Jcarlinbn
Posts: 7,074

Nov 2, 2009 -- 3:19PM, teilhard wrote:


It's always some Version of "Zeus 2.0"


with you,


isn't it ... ???



Zeus 2.0 is a lot more interesting than the Yahweh 0.0 that you are stuck with.  Zeus' children are much more interesting than the Christ Yahweh reputedly sired although he had to send the holy ghost to do the dirty deed.  And you have to admit that thunderbolts are much more interesting than burning bushes and sticks that turn into snakes.  

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 4:40PM #510
Ken
Posts: 33,859

As there is no such thing as "atheist theology" and as no rational, well-informed person imagines for a moment that there is, I fail to see why this dipshit thread continues.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 51 of 56  •  Prev 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 56 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook