Switch to Forum Live View Pagan Origins of Christian Myth,separating wheat from chaff
7 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2008 - 2:28PM #1
sci-objectivist
Check out this site.
http://www.pocm.info/

I have some problems with the way some of these sites,such as the one from Zeitgeist as well as Acharya S with inaccuracies concerning ancient myths and details.I've read the rebuttals from Christians, and SOME of their criticisms are valid.This site lays alot of that to rest and shows a very comprehensive list of characteristics between ancient Pagan myth and Christianity,without "atheistic proselytizing" and hype.

It clearly shows how myths get "borrowed" and filtered through different cultures,languages and history.Very interesting indeed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 12:23PM #2
TheWhiteHart
I've run across it before. It is a decent site that explains the problem in an easy to understand way. Basically, the first Christians of Paul's Church were Greeks... and Greeks do what they do best... Greekify (TM) everything. That is, of course, overly simplistic, as there are a lot of Egyptian roots within Christianity as well. But the Greeks had a habit of adopting Mystery cults from the various religions they came into contact with.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 8:58PM #3
ozero
But did the Egyptian influences on Christianity come from the Greeks, who had "Greekified" their own conquest of Egypt and adopted some of their religion or did it come from direct contact with the Egyptians (and further south, the Ethiopians, etc)?   I think that the Christian movement in Africa was older than that in Rome, though possibly not in Greece or traditionally Greek territories.  What's the earliest archeological evidence of Christianity in Rome itself?    Obviously it started in the empire, but that empire was not overly socially influential to the east of Rome.  Only Romanian is a Romance language.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 10:50AM #4
humbaba
"I think that the Christian movement in Africa was older than that in Rome,"-------How?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 8:27PM #5
ozero
Humbaba, I'm not sure, but I know that there was a stong Christian movement in Egypt and Ethiopia.  This may not be the Paul movement, but another branch.  Augustine, the first major Christian theologian, was from Africa.  Anyway, that's why I asked the question.  Christianity was co-opted by Rome, especially with Constantine and it's no surprise that non-roman  aspects would be played down.  The Coptic church of Egypt almost certainly predates the Roman church.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 8:27PM #6
ozero
Humbaba, I'm not sure, but I know that there was a stong Christian movement in Egypt and Ethiopia.  This may not be the Paul movement, but another branch.  Augustine, the first major Christian theologian, was from Africa.  Anyway, that's why I asked the question.  Christianity was co-opted by Rome, especially with Constantine and it's no surprise that non-roman  aspects would be played down.  The Coptic church of Egypt almost certainly predates the Roman church.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 10:31AM #7
TheWhiteHart
I was going to mention the Coptic Church...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 6:03PM #8
humbaba
Right, forgot about them. That is an interesting question,
who came first the Egyptian Church or the Roman Church?
We do know the theology was different.
And there is not reason they could not have developed at the same time.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook