Page 4 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is faith a logic killer?
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 3:29PM #31
iamachildofhis
[QUOTE=Namchuck;353282].
....and adopt the world view of pre-scientific Bronze Age nomadic tribesmen.
[/QUOTE]

I am curious.

What do you think that we would be "adopting" if we did "adopt the world view of pre-scientific Bronze Age nomadic tribesmen"? What would that "view" look like?

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who dwelt among us, now, can dwell within us. - Roy Lessin
"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
Justice is receiving what you deserve.
Mercy is NOT receiving what you deserve.
Grace is receiving what you DO NOT deserve.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 3:53PM #32
wohali
What do you think that we would be "adopting" if we did "adopt the world view of pre-scientific Bronze Age nomadic tribesmen"? What would that "view" look like?

A literal and inerrant reading of the Bible.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 4:35PM #33
ether_buny
[QUOTE=nicoletate;323920]My faith needs logic. In my opinion, the key to faith is understanding, so if we couldn't understand anything about our nature and the natural world around us, why is there any claim that life may have been intellectually formed.

We were given brains, so we should use them to their utmost abilities. Why should we shut all reasoning down, when it's there for us to explore? That's like creating Superman, but not exactly letting him be "Superman". Faith is not a war with logic, the individual is.[/QUOTE]
Many people for whatever reason are needy, hard-up or helpless. Many things destroy faith, logic and reason. Prey and predator relationships haven't changed for eons. I doubt anyone in the modern world has suddenly and recently come up with the answer to that or many other questions in life.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 4:46PM #34
ether_buny
[QUOTE=iamachildofhis;354535]I am not at all in favor of scrapping science.  Why would any human advocate the scrapping of science? 

Why do you think that ~6,000 years means that I am advocating that science be scrapped?

.[/QUOTE]
Not everyone is fortunate enough to have had a good learning or educational experience in life. Not everyone was raised in a home that valued individuality, privacy, space and respect for individuality enough to encourage learning and study or individual achievements in academia. It isn't neccessarily any schools fault but rather the fault of a bad home or parenting that didn't respect it in the first place.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 10:18PM #35
Namchuck
[QUOTE=iamachildofhis;354526]Are you implying, then, that your death will end it all for you?

.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too sure just what the "all" is that you are referring to, iamachildofhis, but, as there is no compelling evidence that life survives thermodynamic equilibrium, I'm convinced that my death will end it for me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 10:20PM #36
Namchuck
[QUOTE=iamachildofhis;354535]I am not at all in favor of scrapping science.  Why would any human advocate the scrapping of science? 

Why do you think that ~6,000 years means that I am advocating that science be scrapped?

.[/QUOTE]

Any human so besotted by religion as to think that the Earth is only 6,000 years old has essentially scrapped science already.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 10:22PM #37
Namchuck
[QUOTE=iamachildofhis;354544]I am curious.

.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I think you know that already, or, you should.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 10:26PM #38
Namchuck
Contrary to nicoletate's assertion, I would suggest that faith is most definitely in conflict with reason and logic.
The very invoking of faith is a transparent admission that one's beliefs cannot stand on their own two feet.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 10:18PM #39
Namchuck
[QUOTE=iamachildofhis;354526]Are you implying, then, that your death will end it all for you?

.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too sure just what the "all" is that you are referring to, iamachildofhis, but, as there is no compelling evidence that life survives thermodynamic equilibrium, I'm convinced that my death will end it for me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 10:20PM #40
Namchuck

.[/QUOTE]

Any human so besotted by religion as to think that the Earth is only 6,000 years old has essentially scrapped science already.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook