Page 6 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Book of Enoch the Prophet
5 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2009 - 9:10AM #51
Wendyness

Dec 21, 2009 -- 2:30AM, Ageo wrote:

Will knowing what the book of Enoch describes benefit all?  If the words are not explicit, there is a reason.

Ask Adonai, with love, if you lack an answer.

The truth is not revealed to all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 4:42PM #52
Namchuck

Dec 22, 2009 -- 9:10AM, Wendyness wrote:

Will knowing what the book of Enoch describes benefit all?  If the words are not explicit, there is a reason.

The truth is not revealed to all.

That sounds elitist, Wendyness.

And I wonder what you mean by "truth", or is this also subject to elitist definition?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 11:02PM #53
Wendyness

Jan 3, 2010 -- 4:42PM, Namchuck wrote:

And I wonder what you mean by "truth", or is this also subject to elitist definition?

You can wonder all you want.  Not elitist, just very personal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 8:19PM #54
Namchuck

Jan 3, 2010 -- 11:02PM, Wendyness wrote:

No, that would render truth elitist. Truth is not personal, no matter how much you want it to be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 9:39PM #55
Wendyness

Jan 4, 2010 -- 8:19PM, Namchuck wrote:

No, that would render truth elitist. Truth is not personal, no matter how much you want it to be.

There are universal truths, and their are personal truths.  I am speaking of a personal truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 9:48PM #56
Namchuck

Jan 4, 2010 -- 9:39PM, Wendyness wrote:

There are universal truths, and their are personal truths.  I am speaking of a personal truth.

What is a 'universal truth'?

Truth is only that which corresponds with fact and logic (the art or skill of non-contradictory identification). "Personal truth" often serves only as a smokescreen for "personal belief" reserved by the believer as 'personal' only because it likely doesn't correspond with either fact or logic.

By the way, and coincidentally, I sold all my versions of 'The Book of Enoch'  - along with 62 other pseudipigraphical writings - on Trademe today.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 10:02PM #57
Wendyness

Jan 4, 2010 -- 9:48PM, Namchuck wrote:

Truth is only that which corresponds with fact and logic (the art or skill of non-contradictory identification). "Personal truth" often serves only as a smokescreen for "personal belief" reserved by the believer as 'personal' only because it likely doesn't correspond with either fact or logic.

By the way, and coincidentally, I sold all my versions of 'The Book of Enoch'  - along with 62 other pseudipigraphical writings - on Trademe today.

Personal truths may come from personal experiences.  A 'universal truth' is the sun exists.  A personal truth is I weigh 125 lbs. and I'm 5'7.  Is this a personal truth for you as well?  Oh, and I'm not that fond of cooked broccoli.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 10:27PM #58
Namchuck

Jan 4, 2010 -- 10:02PM, Wendyness wrote:

Personal truths may come from personal experiences.  A 'universal truth' is the sun exists.  A personal truth is I weigh 125 lbs. and I'm 5'7.  Is this a personal truth for you as well?  Oh, and I'm not that fond of cooked broccoli.

There are no personal truths. The fact that you don't like broccoli and that you weigh 125lbs are personal facts, but as truths they could be known to anyone interested enough to avail themselves of the knowledge through investigation.

As personal experiences are no guarantees of truth (not even for the experiencer), they cannot be used as determinants of truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 10:32PM #59
Wendyness

Jan 4, 2010 -- 10:27PM, Namchuck wrote:

There are no personal truths. The fact that you don't like broccoli and that you weigh 125lbs are personal facts, but as truths they could be known to anyone interested enough to avail themselves of the knowledge through investigation.

As personal experiences are no guarantees of truth (not even for the experiencer), they cannot be used as determinants of truth.

Personal experiences are no guarantees of truth.  However at this point in my life I feel confident enough in discerning.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 10:35PM #60
Namchuck

Jan 4, 2010 -- 10:32PM, Wendyness wrote:

Jan 4, 2010 -- 10:27PM, Namchuck wrote:

Personal experiences are no guarantees of truth.  However at this point in my life I feel confident enough in discerning.

What is it that does the 'discerning'?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook