7 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2008 - 12:04PM #1
papdu
very clear and simple explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_RXX7pntr8
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2008 - 1:44PM #2
mountain_man
Instead of possibly wasting our time watching some worthless video, could you please give a synopsis?
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 12:50PM #3
shadow_frog
a clear synopsis would be that the bloke who made this clip describes how natural selection works using an example of a "hypotheticus".

he goes through some of the basic assumptions behind it, and shows why it should work.

i personally found it interesting.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 2:47PM #4
mountain_man

shadow_frog wrote:

a clear synopsis would be that the bloke who made this clip describes how natural selection works using an example of a "hypotheticus".

he goes through some of the basic assumptions behind it, and shows why it should work.

i personally found it interesting.

Thanks, I'm just wary because too man creationists try to get people to watch their little videos by claiming to show how things work when all they're really doing is claiming their god did it .

That and even though I have DSL it's the slow version and it only plays videos in little chunks and it gets frustrating.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 11:57PM #5
nicoletate
Ok, not that the video has been explained, what does the outcome suppose to prove,..that natural selection happens? And what's the point after that?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 2:42AM #6
papdu
[QUOTE=nicoletate;302925]Ok, not that the video has been explained, what does the outcome suppose to prove,..that natural selection happens? And what's the point after that?[/QUOTE]

There is no point after that.  Most folks who don't believe  life evolves don't believe because they are ignorant of how it happens. Many people believe that evolution of life means individuals undergo some sort of metamorphosis. This video just helps those understand it has nothing to do with metamorphosis and has to do with "Natural selection", which in a nutshell is basically "Selective breeding" happening naturally.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 8:14AM #7
ozero
MM, as someone who was on dial-up for many years, I can sympathize with your slow dsl.  There is a new(ish) way of getting internet if you live in the boondocks.  You're obviously not that far from civilization or you couldn't even get dsl (I couldn't), but there is at least one company, Internet America, that offers high speed internet via microwave. It's not satellite, so no delay bouncing it off a bird 1/2 light second away.  I don't know if there are other companies that offer this, but I would assume there are or will be.  I'm not adverstizing a company, but a concept.  It's more expensive than cable or dsl, but coupled with a voip and getting rid of my expensive telephone company, it's been cheaper by a long shot.  I can't say whether it's reliable, only that I've had it for about 6 months with no problem.  It requires a send/recv antenna at your place, not much else.  Hardware in the house is minimal.
You can watch streaming video with no breaks.  It makes living out in the mountains a little better, as if living away from a city weren't blessing enough.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 12:14PM #8
mountain_man

ozero wrote:

MM, as someone who was on dial-up for many years, I can sympathize with your slow dsl.  There is a new(ish) way of getting internet if you live in the boondocks.  You're obviously not that far from civilization or you couldn't even get dsl (I couldn't), but there is at least one company, Internet America, that offers high speed internet via microwave. It's not satellite, so no delay bouncing it off a bird 1/2 light second away.  I don't know if there are other companies that offer this, but I would assume there are or will be.  I'm not adverstizing a company, but a concept.  It's more expensive than cable or dsl, but coupled with a voip and getting rid of my expensive telephone company, it's been cheaper by a long shot.  I can't say whether it's reliable, only that I've had it for about 6 months with no problem.  It requires a send/recv antenna at your place, not much else.  Hardware in the house is minimal.
You can watch streaming video with no breaks.  It makes living out in the mountains a little better, as if living away from a city weren't blessing enough.

It's the cost factor. I only work 6 months a year.... and I like it that way. :-) I'm 20 miles away from a small town, and 10 miles from an even smaller one. I don't get cell phone reception at my place. Don't have a cell phone anyway - and don't want one! I can deal with the slow DSL since it was only $10/month over dial-up.

Isn't microwave "line of sight"? Where would I find out if it's in my area? A quick search turned up nothing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 7:10PM #9
nicoletate
[QUOTE=papdu;303099]There is no point after that.  Most folks who don't believe  life evolves don't believe because they are ignorant of how it happens. Many people believe that evolution of life means individuals undergo some sort of metamorphosis. This video just helps those understand it has nothing to do with metamorphosis and has to do with "Natural selection", which in a nutshell is basically "Selective breeding" happening naturally.[/QUOTE]

Okay, sounds good to me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 8:31PM #10
ozero
mm: "isn't microwave "line of sight"? Where would I find out if it's in my area? A quick search turned up nothing."

Yep, it's LOS and I have no idea how you would find out if it's in your area.  They posted an ad on one of my trees by the road and I called.  I went from a dial-up ISP and land-line telephone service to this microwave ISP and VOIP and the total cost went from about $130 to $90 and from 22 KBS to about 3 mbs.  The telephone company has all these extra fees that they really should stop.  I mean there's still a $5.00/month charge for touch-tone dialing and I doubt that they even support pulse-code anymore.  Hopefully, the competition will do some good.  I would suppose that if you're really in the mountains, it would depend on whether or not you could see the top of the mountain that they put their tower on.  It's not cell type service, the internet is always there, just like with DSL or cable.  The company that I mentioned is the only one doing it as far as I know.  It is a way that should get internet to everyone eventually at a reasonable cost.  It should take less time to cover areas that aren't covered than it took to run electric or telephone lines everywhere.  With more of us boomers retiring to the country and with most of our intelligentsia abandoning the cities, there's a market out there.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook