Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Islam Vs Christianity in Simple Terms
9 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2008 - 4:56PM #11
Ken
Counting the number of gods seems to be an odd criterion for choosing a religion. Why would one god be better than a hundred? If one god is good, why wouldn't a hundred gods be a hundred times better?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2008 - 8:59AM #12
Relates7
[QUOTE=steven_guy;827957]one imaginary being + one imaginary friend + one imaginary cosmic bogeyman = 0

one imaginary being/friend/bogeyman/tooth fairy/etc. = 0

Sorry to hear about your horrendous mistake.

Steven[/QUOTE]

Response:  Do ya'all really think that denial is a convincing argument against Islam?

Love and Peace,

Relates
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2008 - 11:11AM #13
Ken

Relates7 wrote:

Do ya'all really think that denial is a convincing argument against Islam?

Steven isn't a "ya'all." There's only one of him. That makes him a "you."

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2008 - 11:18AM #14
teilhard
[QUOTE=Philosopher Plebian;727493]If there doesn't need to be multiple gods, why does there need to be one god?[/QUOTE]

Why is there "Air" ... ???
-- Bill Cosby
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 2:25PM #15
Don't_Be_Captious
[QUOTE=Ken;827980]Counting the number of gods seems to be an odd criterion for choosing a religion. Why would one god be better than a hundred? If one god is good, why wouldn't a hundred gods be a hundred times better?[/QUOTE]

Except in terms of the JCI monotheisms, "monotheism" is taken as an axiomatic virtue.  Islam is the most rigorous about this monotheism, over Judaism (which only asserts that their God is better than all the other gods, or something like that), & Christianity.  Islam, on the other hand, glorifies this virtue so extremely that it is a near-perfect model of intolerance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 2:31PM #16
Don't_Be_Captious
[QUOTE=steven_guy;827967]Yeah, but Islam was founded by a bloke who would be in gaol for pædophilia if he was alive today and Islam's record vis-à-vis the treatment of women and women's rights has been shameful.[/QUOTE]

(Is "gaol" an Aussie thing for "jail?")

I didn't know he was involved in pedophilia.  What is the deal with pedophiles?  How did that crap ever get started in the first place?

I'm not in the habit of defending those I don't agree with, but Islam has had its place in its own terms, so to speak.  I was thinking about harems & men marrying multiple wives the other day.  It seems clearly an anti-woman thing to do.  Yet it does seem that, in some circumstances at least, either women are enculturated (sp?) to it or there may actually be some value to it for those involved.  Clearly, however, it's a situation that can easily spiral into physical & psychological abuse, etc. And probably usually does.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 5:29PM #17
steven_guy
[QUOTE=Don't_Be_Captious;834538](Is "gaol" an Aussie thing for "jail?")

I didn't know he was involved in pedophilia.  What is the deal with pedophiles?  How did that crap ever get started in the first place?
[/QUOTE]

Consider Mohammed's wife Aisha, who was a child when he married her.
Muhammed - The Pedophile:
http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/muhtpammed.htm
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 5:33PM #18
steven_guy
[QUOTE=Relates7;829301]Response:  Do ya'all really think that denial is a convincing argument against Islam?

Love and Peace,

Relates[/QUOTE]

Reality is a convicing argument against Islam and, indeed, any theology.

By the way, I am one person, not a group.

You may say "you" when addressing me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 8:42PM #19
faith713
[QUOTE=steven_guy;834818]Consider Mohammed's wife Aisha, who was a child when he married her.
Muhammed - The Pedophile:
http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/muhtpammed.htm[/QUOTE]

Plus he beheaded anyone who didn't convert to the Muslim religion.(http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Re … 09254EADC7)

“I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them. This is because they acted adversely to Allah and his messenger”  (Koran 8:12)
http://www.blessedcause.org/PressReleas … behead.htm

Who will be the  coming antichrist? A Muslim--al Mahdi:

http://gracethrufaith.com/ikvot/the-fou … -reversal/
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 9:11PM #20
steven_guy
Mind you, the un-dead Jewish zombie wasn't much to write home to mother about either.

Christ never seems to have had an adult relationship with a member of the opposite sex or his own sex.
He was something of a malingerer - a bludger, in fact - mooching off others and generally doing no productive work or creating anything (music, art or literature).
He was probably very pretentious and tedious company, given to sermonising over the dinner table and pontificating.
Christ seems to have had very limited knowledge about the world.
Christ believed in Hell and eternal punishment for those who didn't or wouldn't listen to him. In this respect, he wasn't very sage-like or even particularly nice.

Mohammed was a certified kiddie-fiddler but Christ wasn't terribly admirable either.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook