Switch to Forum Live View We're evolving faster
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 8:03AM #1
Karma_yeshe_dorje
The pace of life is leaving me behind! :)

[QUOTE]HUMAN evolution is speeding up. Around 40,000 years ago our genes began to evolve much faster. By 5000 years ago they were evolving 30 to 40 times faster than ever before and it seems highly likely that we continue to evolve at this super speed today.[/QUOTE]~New Scientist~
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 8:28AM #2
Ridcully
I read a summary of study not too long ago that indicated that humans may have a high number of DNA "hot spots" (areas of DNA exchange) compared to chimps. Interesting stuff...
"Things just happen, what the hell."  Didactylos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 5:29PM #3
MMarcoe
I imagine this has to do with greater numbers and complexities of environmental stressors that we have to adapt to ... complicated social systems that require developable linguistics, environmental changes that call for adaptations, changes in the food we eat, and improved sanitation and medicine (which enhance lifespans, thus prompting the body to have to address its own deficiencies).

I like to think that the increased pressure from creationists to throw reason and experiment to the winds is a kind of stressor -- it's ultimately helping the species as a whole advance in its thinking capacity.
1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2007 - 7:35PM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje
MMarcoe:

I like the analysis.

I know a lot of people with mental illnesses. They have problems coping with the social requirements of living in crowded cities.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook