Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The jury is still out on evolution.
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 10:14PM #1
Vistronic
George Walker Bush the forty-third and current President of the United States of America:
"The jury is still out" on evolution.

I agree
Vis.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 11:04PM #2
Oncomintrain
If the president used cocaine, racked up DUIs, and used his father's influence to avoid active military service, and then many years later plunged the country in to a military morass that was also a diplomatic death sentence, would you do those things too?

If you're looking to our current "leadership" for guidance on science, you are very much barking up the wrong tree.

The jury on the Theory of Evolution IS still out... to exactly the same extent that the Theories of Gravity, Relativity, and Germ-borne Illness are still out. Which is to say: science always accepts the possibility, no matter how remote, that future evidence will invalidate our current understanding. However, virtually no one actually working in these fields seriously questions their validity, because it is re-affirmed with every new discovery. If anything, we may discover that our current understanding fits WITHIN a larger understanding... much the way Newtonian Physics fit within Relativistic Physics.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 11:21PM #3
nicoletate
[QUOTE=Vistronic;50196]George Walker Bush the forty-third and current President of the United States of America:

I agree
Vis.[/QUOTE]

"The jury is still out on evolution,"....that stinks, is there anything else to remember GWalkerB  for in his past Presidency. I don't care if evolution is true or not, but that really stinks!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 11:33PM #4
inherentcomplexity
Sorry, but politicians most of the time have no clue about science or technology. Helmut Kohl once said (about 'information superhighways'): "Highways are an affair of the states". You don't ask your doctor for legal advise or a plumber for help with Unix-problems. So why look at a politician for scientific advise? Besides, OT has formulated things more eloquently than I could.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 7:26AM #5
Ridcully

OncominTrain wrote:

If you're looking to our current "leadership" for guidance on science, you are very much barking up the wrong tree.

The Union of Concerned Scientists has released this statement: "The actions by the Bush administration threaten to undermine the morale and compromise the integrity of scientists working for and advising America's world-class governmental research institutions and agencies."

"Things just happen, what the hell."  Didactylos
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 8:48AM #6
redwood_myst
If the jury is still out on evolution, let's hear the names of the non-Christian scientists that are still deliberating.

Vis, you and George W. are free to hold whatever worldview you want, but that doesn't change the fact that this particular worldview runs counter to what most people who actually study the evdence think. 

RM
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 8:51AM #7
Urukai

Vistronic wrote:

George Walker Bush the forty-third and current President of the United States of America:

I agree
Vis.

Which jury would that be?

Here is a 'jury' of scientific organizations who believe that Evolution is real and well supported by sound science...
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Association of University Professors
American Astronomical Society
American Chemical Society
American Geophysical Union
American Institute of Physics
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Botanical Society of America
Council of Europe (The Committee for Science and Education)
Elie Wiesel Foundation Humanity Nobel Laureates Initiative organization
Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
The National Academy of Sciences from 67 countries issued a statement (The Interacademy Statement on The Teaching of Evolution)
The Faculty of Science from the University of New South Wales
Kentucky Academy of Science
National Science Teachers Association
Lehigh University Department of Biological Sciences

This list is nowhere near exhaustive and admittedly the people in these groups are Not low grade functionally illiterate morons with cocaine and alcohol habits as the intellectually illustrious interloper in the White House is but you take what you can get...

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 9:04AM #8
udcstb
[QUOTE=Vistronic;50196]George Walker Bush the forty-third and current President of the United States of America:

I agree
Vis.[/QUOTE]

If truth be told, actually the jury is out on George HW Bush.  And the prospect of a favorable verdict is slim.
"As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 10:12AM #9
Vistronic
The Jury is still in deliberation and has been since the scopes trial. The numbers for USA population support this view that the jury is still out. (Many flat out say evolution is wrong)

"
But one of the strangest moments of the night came when the candidates were asked about evolution. The question was put directly to McCain, who answered with a simple "yes" before adding, "I believe in evolution. But I also believe, when I hike the Grand Canyon and see it at sunset, that the hand of God is there also."
Then all of the candidates were asked to indicate which of them DO NOT believe in evolution. Huckabee, Brownback and Tancredo each raised a hand. But that was it -- the debate moved on -- no follow up question and no chance for the candidates to qualify their answers or not. "
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2 … f_god.html

It appears the Republican party is the pro-creation party in the coming election. It is rather unfortunate that the debate did not take this opportunity to examine this important issue.

But as we can see, people of reasonable intelligence do not have to cow-tow to the evolution party line to be politically correct.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 10:18AM #10
teilhard
Geo. "Dubya" Bush is an expert re:

The Standing of The Biological Theory of Evolution
in the same degree as his expertise re: "nuke-ya-lur" weapons ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook