Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The jury is still out on evolution.
10 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 11:02PM #41
Vistronic

DGMelby wrote:

Since the Republican party sold its soul and integrity to the Religious Right, in exchange for more votes, I haven't been overly impressed by them. Quite frankly, I'm still waiting for Christian Evangelicals to wake up and realize how badly they're being used, and how their quest for restore Christian Privilage is tearing this country apart. The old saying is true: when politics sleeps in the same bed as religion, both are degraded. It is amazing how Matthew 23 still describes, and warns against, the Religious Right.}

It may surprise you to learn Melby that there indeed is a wind blowing carrying "some" of us away from the republican party. The last congressional election I know that "some" voted democrat to show there disapproval.

And even now a strong green movement is growing called "creation care"... google it if you like as its a big topic in its own right. I myself am leaning that way, and believe it or not I am evaluating my view on the death penalty and have been for several years and I am not alone in this. So there is hopeful signs IMHO that some of this self inflected insanity is turning around.

Cheers,
Vis.

Good to hear from you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 11:10PM #42
redwood_myst
[QUOTE=Vistronic;55095.]What I have a problem with is not giving God the glory for his creation.
That is the real issue beyond these speculations about mechanics of creation.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why that is an issue of public concern.  If you believe the glory of the universe should go to your God, then honor your God in that way.  If the guy next to you thinks said glory should go to Ptah, then let him honor his God.  And if the next guy in line doesn't think there is any God, then he won't praise any God at all.

And none of it changes the science in the slightest.

These are  internal feelings and opinions.  I understand that they are personal truths which can have a powerful effect on your life.  And there is nothing (at least in our country) to prevent you from expressing that. But why on Earth would you expect anyone but you to express your feelings about God and the universe?  Why should there be a universal nod to what is not a universally accepted ideal?  Why do you have to have a chorus to back up your faith? What more are you looking for?

RM
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 11:13PM #43
Vistronic

KWinters wrote:

Vis,

>>>What I have a problem with is not giving God the glory for his creation.

Where is your evidence that God created anything? All the evidence says that your imaginary god ain't done shit.

And if he did do shit, he's a pretty lousy creator. Humans beings are making genetic improvements on 'his' shit design, so what sort of C-student god are you fobbing off on us?

And where is your evidence for this imaginary being, other than in your head?

Got anything real?

Of course you don't.

Hello,
In my head?
Well as it seems to fit the tone, I do not see man or science creating life or even understanding the spark of life. Therefore "in my head" (and in the Bible) God is the foundation of all this. God of the gaps? No. Something has to advance life forward. This something is part of God to me.

Real?
Well before I was a Christian using logic I figured there must be a God because whom throw the switch on the big bang? Who started the show going?
These are philosophical questions... some may say not "hard" science... but since we inhabit our minds,  philosophical questions are valid, and part of science to me at least.

Have a great day,
Vis.

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 11:32PM #44
nicoletate
[QUOTE=OncominTrain;62198]I think you are awfully hard on the Bronze Age, frankly. Exactly what do you imagine distances your faith from theirs? A few volumes of Kierkegaard? The Bible was WRITTEN in the Bronze Age, you know. I am actively curious to know what you know about God that Cicero didn't. And I'm not being facetious. I honestly am curious.[/QUOTE]

I believe that all variations of God are of the same God, no matter what the age, time, or what have you. If God is real, he is of all time and all cultures. I don't believe that the idea of God is imagined, so in my opinion it's the variations of reality that distances faith from others. I believe the higher purpose is morality, not religion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 11:37PM #45
Vistronic
Redwood myst: I don't see why that is an issue of public concern.
Vis: Not to sound flippant but this is Beliefnet after all.

RM: These are internal feelings and opinions. I understand that they are personal truths which can have a powerful effect on your life. And there is nothing (at least in our country) to prevent you from expressing that. But why on Earth would you expect anyone but you to express your feelings about God and the universe?
Vis: Well heres where I get that idea:
Rom 1:20  By taking a long and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can't see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of his divine being. So nobody has a good excuse.
RM: Why should there be a universal nod to what is not a universally accepted ideal? Why do you have to have a chorus to back up your faith? What more are you looking for?
Vis: well it kind of the creed:
Mat 28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

all the best
Vis.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2007 - 11:41PM #46
Vistronic

nicoletate wrote:

I I don't believe that the idea of God is imagined,

I can agree with that
Vis.:)

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2007 - 6:04PM #47
bluehorserunning
So, Vis...
you think that *your* faith is somehow imputed if you fail to convert us?

bummer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 7:30PM #48
Urukai
Vistronic,
Your very first post in this thread implied you disagree with evolution...instead of plowing that field why not make your case for what you would replace evolution with...

Blessings
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 8:41PM #49
drawkcab
[QUOTE=Bl├╝;81388].
Vis

Go ye into all the world ...

But as I like to point out, that's a breach of the Golden Rule.

One should not stick one's religious beliefs up someone else's nose unless one wants them to stick theirs up one's own nose.

A point that various evangelists I've met seem to resent.[/QUOTE]

That is a point I myself have a problem with. I can't stay with any Church I go to, for sooner or later this comes in contact with me. Jesus said, Go into the world and preach the gospel to every creature. No where have I found that it says "Go and beat the people over the head with your religion.
drawkcab
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 7:30PM #50
Urukai
Vistronic,
Your very first post in this thread implied you disagree with evolution...instead of plowing that field why not make your case for what you would replace evolution with...

Blessings
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook