Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The jury is still out on evolution.
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 10:23AM #11
hortonthrockmorton
The jury might be out if the jury is made up of you and GWB, or if the jury is made up of evangelical Christian broadcasters, or even the entire American population.

But science isn't about what the majority of people think.

If the jury is made up of the scientific community, then the jury is in.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 1:23PM #12
Urukai
"The Jury is still in deliberation and has been since the scopes trial. The numbers for USA population support this view that the jury is still out. (Many flat out say evolution is wrong)" Vistronic

Again what jury?And many flat out who...? - Are you talking about the average citizen who has little to no knowledge of the functioning mechanisms of Evolution (although thankfully that is changing) and who ends up going with their lay parents Beliefs or are you talking about scientists who actually study Evolution and have a working knowledge of the subject? I don't think its the latter.

You mention a couple of bible belt politicians as if these people who are as untrained in science probably less so then the average junior highschool student have a soap box to speak from.
Their numbers are infinitesimally low as they do not come out of their caves except around election time. And I can tell you outside the bible belt the numbers drop even lower because really outside the biblebelt and the bible what is their source for valid scientific information?

"It appears the Republican party is the pro-creation party in the coming election. It is rather unfortunate that the debate did not take this opportunity to examine this important issue."
Vistronic

There was no debate because there is no debate, there is no issue - trying to turn creation mythology into literal history is not just a dying horse, it is a dead one except I guess to those with an agenda which brings me to my next point.

"But as we can see, people of reasonable intelligence do not have to cow-tow to the evolution party line to be politically correct."
Vistronic

The evolution partyline - hmmm
Evolution describes the developmental and adaptive changes in and of species over time - it involves reproduction, mutation and the randomness of natural selection. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.
Evolution has no partyline, it does not have an agenda or an ulterior motive political correct or otherwise. it just is. What it is, is also measurable and testable and subject to scientific peer review unlike creationism or in another form intelligent design whose proponents don't even try to subject it to serious scientific testing before attempting to interject into school curriculums.

Science does not have a partyline or an agenda or an ulterior motive. it is does not care about politics or people's views or even people really. It just is - clean, clear and fresh as when world was new 4 1/2 Billion years ago in a universe about 15 billion years old....
People with average and above average intelligence know that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 2:25PM #13
teilhard
Certainly  GOOD "Science" does not, per se,
have some "kind" of "party line" or ideologcal mind-set ...

SOME "Scientists,"
however, being Fully Human,
DO push and evince those very foibles
( Rick Dawkins is ONE such who comes to mind ) ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 2:38PM #14
Ridcully

Vistronic wrote:

Then all of the candidates were asked to indicate which of them DO NOT believe in evolution. Huckabee, Brownback and Tancredo each raised a hand. But that was it -- the debate moved on -- no follow up question and no chance for the candidates to qualify their answers or not. "
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2 … f_god.html

It appears the Republican party is the pro-creation party in the coming election. It is rather unfortunate that the debate did not take this opportunity to examine this important issue.

Of all the Republican candidates, only 3 raised their hands.  I don't think that makes the Republicans the creationism party, but hey, if their eventual candidate wishes to run on that, go for it.

Also, it's just as well they didn't follow up on that question.  I doubt if any of those guys know much of anything about science one way or another.  It'd be a pretty pointless discussion in other words.

"Things just happen, what the hell."  Didactylos
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 2:47PM #15
bluehorserunning
The jury Vis cites is the same jury that thinks that the motions of planets control their personalities and what happens to them day -to- day.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 1:23PM #16
Urukai
"The Jury is still in deliberation and has been since the scopes trial. The numbers for USA population support this view that the jury is still out. (Many flat out say evolution is wrong)" Vistronic

Again what jury?And many flat out who...? - Are you talking about the average citizen who has little to no knowledge of the functioning mechanisms of Evolution (although thankfully that is changing) and who ends up going with their lay parents Beliefs or are you talking about scientists who actually study Evolution and have a working knowledge of the subject? I don't think its the latter.

You mention a couple of bible belt politicians as if these people who are as untrained in science probably less so then the average junior highschool student have a soap box to speak from.
Their numbers are infinitesimally low as they do not come out of their caves except around election time. And I can tell you outside the bible belt the numbers drop even lower because really outside the biblebelt and the bible what is their source for valid scientific information?

"It appears the Republican party is the pro-creation party in the coming election. It is rather unfortunate that the debate did not take this opportunity to examine this important issue."
Vistronic

There was no debate because there is no debate, there is no issue - trying to turn creation mythology into literal history is not just a dying horse, it is a dead one except I guess to those with an agenda which brings me to my next point.

"But as we can see, people of reasonable intelligence do not have to cow-tow to the evolution party line to be politically correct."
Vistronic

The evolution partyline - hmmm
Evolution describes the developmental and adaptive changes in and of species over time - it involves reproduction, mutation and the randomness of natural selection. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.
Evolution has no partyline, it does not have an agenda or an ulterior motive political correct or otherwise. it just is. What it is, is also measurable and testable and subject to scientific peer review unlike creationism or in another form intelligent design whose proponents don't even try to subject it to serious scientific testing before attempting to interject into school curriculums.

Science does not have a partyline or an agenda or an ulterior motive. it is does not care about politics or people's views or even people really. It just is - clean, clear and fresh as when world was new 4 1/2 Billion years ago in a universe about 15 billion years old....
People with average and above average intelligence know that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 2:25PM #17
teilhard
Certainly  GOOD "Science" does not, per se,
have some "kind" of "party line" or ideologcal mind-set ...

SOME "Scientists,"
however, being Fully Human,
DO push and evince those very foibles
( Rick Dawkins is ONE such who comes to mind ) ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 2:38PM #18
Ridcully

Vistronic wrote:

Then all of the candidates were asked to indicate which of them DO NOT believe in evolution. Huckabee, Brownback and Tancredo each raised a hand. But that was it -- the debate moved on -- no follow up question and no chance for the candidates to qualify their answers or not. "
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2 … f_god.html

It appears the Republican party is the pro-creation party in the coming election. It is rather unfortunate that the debate did not take this opportunity to examine this important issue.

Of all the Republican candidates, only 3 raised their hands.  I don't think that makes the Republicans the creationism party, but hey, if their eventual candidate wishes to run on that, go for it.

Also, it's just as well they didn't follow up on that question.  I doubt if any of those guys know much of anything about science one way or another.  It'd be a pretty pointless discussion in other words.

"Things just happen, what the hell."  Didactylos
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 2:47PM #19
bluehorserunning
The jury Vis cites is the same jury that thinks that the motions of planets control their personalities and what happens to them day -to- day.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 4:07PM #20
wohali
"Is our children learning?"

George W Bush
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement