Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Switch to Forum Live View The jury is still out on evolution.
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 2:18AM #91
Blü
That's blu with an umlaut

Vis

The theory of evolution is supported by mountains of examinable evidence (which you might enjoy checking out one day).  It's striking how its opponents shout unfounded assertions against it from afar, or worry at little peripheral things but virtually NEVER enter into reasoned debate by publishing peer-reviewed criticism of the facts themselves or the theory itself.

But just imagine that it needed a clincher.  What could be more affirmative of its essential correctness than that George Bush was against it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 6:10AM #92
Blü
That's blu with an umlaut

Vis

The philosophy ... of a general evolutionary type movement within "science", the "scientific method" only crowd, strongly leans a person to atheism or agnosticism at minimum IMHO.
Illustrated by this statement I will make but not agree with,
Every area of knowledge must be proven by the "scientific method".

Why do you all claim it stops at religion and faith? Carry this philosophy to its conclusion.

I never thought it did.  I think everything in and about the natural world is examinable by science.  It's true that we haven't spent a lot of time working out theories of 'wisdom' or 'ethics' via testable and falsifiable propositions, but we're starting to, and we have many more tools available these days than we did even a decade ago.

We have a hugely larger basis for ethics these days, for example.  In another post here I mentioned that New Scientist this week has an article about confirmation that mirror neurons exist in the human brain - till now they'd only been hypothesized, though they'd been observed and studied in the brains of macaques.  Mirror neurons work when you do something intentionally AND when you watch someone else doing the same thing.  They're a major mechanism for our natural empathy.

Watch this space.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 7:35PM #93
Blü
Vis

Go ye into all the world ...

But as I like to point out, that's a breach of the Golden Rule.

One should not stick one's religious beliefs up someone else's nose unless one wants them to stick theirs up one's own nose.

A point that various evangelists I've met seem to resent.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2008 - 12:06AM #94
Blü
wohali

Perhaps we should ask Syria?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2008 - 7:45PM #95
Blü
Vis

You and I have been over this ground before.

You were the only fundy to respond to the question, What in your view is the correct relationship between something believed because of faith, and examinable evidence that shows the belief is untrue? - and the fact that you responded impressed me.

You said that your faith would and must always prevail over examinable evidence to the contrary.

Is that still your view?  If it is, it means there's no point in talking evidence with you, doesn't it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook