Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What is Religion and the Human Mind?
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 9:41AM #41
rbchaddy2000
I think that the human brain is hard wired to seek meaning much like it is to receive language. It's part of being human. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 5:34PM #42
risingstar11111
Hello,
just to add my 2 cents worth....I  have done some thinking the past couple of days on this very  subject and I think I have to agree that religion/ spirituality hits on the emotions of humans as a catalyst to attract and propell forward. We as humans, live on our emotional state...if we didnt we would be no more than mere robotics in motion.  if emotions were not a key ingredient to spiritual attainment, what would draw us to it and keep us there? what would ensure our spiritual growth?

Personally, I cannot see a religion or belief system working without an emotional aspect being the prime motivator.
sheri
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 7:11PM #43
jonesg
[QUOTE=Glory2Glory;78982]Amen!

Allegations about religion or spirituality being solely or primarily emotional are just efforts to minimize the experience of believers.[/QUOTE]

Those would be opinions based on nothing.
I used to have lots of those myself.
Then life drove me to my knees and I had an experience which hasn't ended.

Opinions of my experience are to be laughed at, spirituality is the way of strength, that is the verdict of the ages.
My opinion was the voice of my weakness and fear.
It was where God wasn't.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 7:14PM #44
jonesg
[QUOTE=risingstar11111;165866]Hello,
just to add my 2 cents worth....I  have done some thinking the past couple of days on this very  subject and I think I have to agree that religion/ spirituality hits on the emotions of humans as a catalyst to attract and propell forward. We as humans, live on our emotional state...if we didnt we would be no more than mere robotics in motion.  if emotions were not a key ingredient to spiritual attainment, what would draw us to it and keep us there? what would ensure our spiritual growth?

Personally, I cannot see a religion or belief system working without an emotional aspect being the prime motivator.
sheri[/QUOTE]

Pain is the touchstone of spiritual growth, not emotions.
My idiot emotions almost killed me.
But thats me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 7:19PM #45
jonesg
[QUOTE=earthling;91996]Independent investigation of the truth is a central tenet of the Bahai Faith.

In response to the thread in general, I believe that religion is divine education designed to cause the mystical transformation of human nature. It appeals to our emotions because it intends to educate and train us to act like civilized human beings motivated (motive, motion, emotion) by moral and spiritual values, instead of wild animals motivated by instinct.
faith[/QUOTE]

Yeh , you're onto the truth.
Transcending our mammal origins is the object.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 7:22PM #46
jonesg
[QUOTE=nicoletate;87779]Hi, F1fan I wondered when you were going to show up.

I naturally believe there is a higher purpose, even without religious experiences, so what mental phenomenon explains what I believe?[/QUOTE]

hahah, and he's asking the same worn out questions...pretending to be openminded about it all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 7:29PM #47
risingstar11111
[QUOTE=jonesg;166058]Pain is the touchstone of spiritual growth, not emotions.
My idiot emotions almost killed me.
But thats me.[/QUOTE]

If you are speaking of pain in the sense of "broken hearted" type pain......isnt that an emotion?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2007 - 6:42AM #48
jonesg
[QUOTE=risingstar11111;166097]If you are speaking of pain in the sense of "broken hearted" type pain......isnt that an emotion?[/QUOTE]

I would say all aspects of the word suffering,
its through the priveledge of suffering that anyone finally becomes openminded enough.

I sorted all my emotions out with a good shrink but was still a spiritual wateland inside.
My emotions tried to keep me from the truth, it was a tool  the ego used to make me "feel bad" whenever
I got close to the solution. Feelings, or emotions can be complete lies.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2007 - 11:47AM #49
F1fan
[QUOTE=jonesg;166984]I would say all aspects of the word suffering,
its through the priveledge of suffering that anyone finally becomes openminded enough.

Priveledge of suffering?  Really, how much is enough?  What makes you think suffering leads to an open mind, and not just a mind struggling to cope?

Being open minded does not mean "accept implausible concepts as true".  What it really means is being is knowing when to be rational, when to be skeptical, when feelings are being an influence, how to acknowledge possibilities, etc.  Skeptics don't accept all the outrageous, personal claims made by theists because that would mean accepting contrary concepts.  Theists, like yourself, reject all sorts of alternative religious concepts with no penalty of being close minded to those ideas.

I sorted all my emotions out with a good shrink but was still a spiritual wateland inside.
My emotions tried to keep me from the truth, it was a tool  the ego used to make me "feel bad" whenever
I got close to the solution. Feelings, or emotions can be complete lies.[/QUOTE]
There's a book called "Emotional Intelligence" by Dan Goleman, and it can explain how to understand and manage emotions so that they don't drive a person's life.  Given the content of your posts, I'd suspect you are still driven by your emotions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 2:35AM #50
Frootloop67
I believe Religion and the Human Mind...is the concept of How does the Human mind interact with thoughts of death?
When you have an out of body experience...how does the mind react to it?
Does it go into a dream state and people believe they see things on the other side?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook