Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What is Religion and the Human Mind?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 4:59PM #11
exploringinside
[QUOTE=AndyF;45795]
It appeals to emotions because it comforts us when things are not going well (it's part of a high power's plan), it comforts us to think people who have wronged us will not escape punishment (hell), it comforts us to think there is a higher power watching over us, and it used to explain things people didn't understand.  Finally, it is the inspiration of art, music, storytelling, and creativity.[/QUOTE]

AndyF,

I liked your idea that thinking about religion is often reserved for those "carefully trained." Who knows what might happen if the masses attempted to interpret the sacred texts for themselves. Wham!!! Everybody starts their own Church!!!

I've read that a religion is akin to a philosophical sysyem; explaining what exists (Metaphysics), what is knowledge (Epistemology), what is right behavior (Morals), the correct social system (Politics and Law), and what is beauty and desrving of worship (Aesthetics). It appears to me that the "doorway" through which these ideas are "funneled" is the emotions. Do you think there is intentional avoidance of an appeal to one's rational mind or is it most effective to "go in the back door?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 5:02PM #12
spiritalk
[QUOTE=exploringinside;44628]Thank you,

Are you implying that the emotional "layer" must somehow be manipulated to reach the spirit?[/QUOTE]

It would appear to be so.  We access a lot of emotion before we quiet that and access the spirit.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 8:58PM #13
exploringinside
[QUOTE=spiritalk;46662]It would appear to be so.  We access a lot of emotion before we quiet that and access the spirit.[/QUOTE]

So, are you saying that the other distinct functions and portions of the mind obscure one's access to their spirit? We have a lot of "stuff" going on in the mind at all times and in a sense, all of it is always attempting to raise "itself" to consciousness or our conscious awareness. If we have to "turn off" our emotions to reach the "spirit," it would appear that there were a lot more things that would also need to "diminish" for the spirit to be accessible.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 8:52AM #14
spiritalk
We eliminate nothing.  We use the mind to access all aspects of who we are in body, mind, spirit.  Yes, it would appear the emotions are involved - to what extent may be individual to the person able to get past emotions to reach spirit. 

When speaking of mind we are certainly in uncharted waters to a great extent.  Not being scientists with the capabilities to focus and classify, it is experience with the mind in meditation and then in conscious state that is being discussed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 12:24PM #15
teilhard
A VERY interesting Recent Book --

Andrew Newberg, M.D., et al.,
"Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief"
( 2001, Ballantine ) ...

I DO Exprience "God" via my "Mind"
evrey bit as much as via my hair or my kidneys ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 12:24PM #16
teilhard
A VERY interesting Recent Book --

Andrew Newberg, M.D., et al.,
"Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief"
( 2001, Ballantine ) ...

I DO Exprience "God" via my "Mind"
evrey bit as much as via my hair or my kidneys ...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 5:21PM #17
spiritalk
thankyou, yes it is a complete expression of God within all of us.  I used the aura as a reference.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 5:46PM #18
exploringinside
Thank you all for answering the original question and all my other questions. I believe that religions attempt to approach the human spirit through emotions because the human spirit is a complex partition of the mind, entwined in emotions and also a state of mind, itself.

A simple analogy of the stream of consciousness could be the Departure/Arrival display at a station; in a busy terminal, the entries on the display are constantly changing and new entries demand the observerThank you all for answering the original question and all my other questions. I believe that religions attempt to approach the human spirit through emotions because the human spirit is a complex partition of the mind, entwined in emotions and also a state of mind, itself.

We have many words we use to describe this special state of mind; we think of a place of reverence and peace; we think of a sense of awe and wonder; we think of a drive to push forward and achieve against all obstacles; we think of intense joy and love.

Religions want to claim a special knowledge of the human spirit but most attempt to lead us to this state of mind by manipulating the emotions, temporarily turning our attention to our personal feelings we (or they) identify as spiritual ones. Music, religious icons, rituals, prayers and others become focusing tools to stir the sensations of human spirit. If religion’s only intent were to enable people to become firmly in touch with their spirit, it would be a noble purpose. It’s sad to me that one of the most elegant faculties of the human mind is credited to a Deity; I know it inspires the hope of transcending mortality but it also diminishes the richness of true independence, which I believe should be the core of human spirituality.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 6:01PM #19
AintKatie
It
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 6:06PM #20
AintKatie
Perhaps it's similar to the frustration and sadness I feel when I see remarkable human achievements attributed to entities from outside our solar system. Humans were much too dense and crude to have done..whatever it was..so it must have been from "out there."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook