Switch to Forum Live View I feel called to be a Quaker but...
3 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2010 - 3:03PM #1
searching4faith

I am a lesbian with a partner of five years.I dont want people to see my wedding ring and ask me and what do I say?umm well... Would I have to hide it like I did the Cathollic church?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2010 - 10:11PM #2
Anilorak13ska

Hello.  I am not a Quaker, but I have attended liberal unprogrammed Quaker meetings for worship several times and have been learning about the faith.  I am also in spiritual direction with a Friend.

My understanding is that the liberal/unprogrammed Quakers are very welcoming of the LGBT community members - there were brochures on how a meeting can best be supportive and welcoming at one of the meetinghouses I went to.  (I'm straight, but gay rights are one of the top "issues" that are on my radar as I research religions.)

And it wasn't the sort of stuff you'd see in a Catholic (I'm a Polish Catholic) or Christian church, you know, "hate the sin, love the sinner".  This was an authentic attempt at educating folks and being welcoming to people "as-is".  I know I entered a conversation with one of the Friends and felt comfortable enough to share with him my experiences with astrology, to which he was amazingly open in the sense of "I never looked into that, but it sounds like it's important to you".  I was blown away.

So to answer your question, you should not have any weird responses from any Friends at a liberal meeting.  If they ask, you can tell them or correct them if they assume a hubby ("actually, my wifey" w/e ;) ) and they should not even bat an eye.  There is no dogma, nothing you have to believe.  You have to be sincerely seeking that of God, that's it.  Now, I don't know about the conservative or evangelical Friends, who are more mainline Christian. You could always go sans the wedding ring and just get a feel for the people there, read through some of their brochures, ask some general questions about the subject, all without having to out yourself if you're uncomfortable with that.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook