3 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 1:53PM #1
searching4faith

I have been to two of the silent Quaker Mettings-I forget what they are called.Anyway I am intrested but do not know if I would fall into liberal or conservative.First off I am a lesbian with a partner of 5 yrs.-what do Quakers believe in this?,I believe in the death penaltiy and keeping violent crimals locked up,I am pro-life-I use to be Catholic,sex befor marriage I think if you really love the person because I think it is unrealistic to try to wait until marriage unless you choose to.The reason I do not consider myself Catholic anymore is they do not accept my family so why belong to a religon that wont accept you?Also,the Meetings where it is like regual church with a serman and all that are they conservative or liber or just a differant choice?Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2010 - 5:13PM #2
Anilorak13ska

Well, supporting the death penalty I think most would agree goes against the testimony of non-violence, but this is a testimony, and not a dogma.  Different Quakers interpret this differently.  Some (myself included) take this to mean vegetarian, others do not.

As far as the differences between Conservative and Liberal Quakers, one of the differences is that the Conservatives identify themselves equally Christian and Quaker, whereas the Liberals identify themselves primarily as Quaker (and some not Christian or theist at all). 

The style of worship I suspect is an individual meeting decision.  As a rule, liberal Quakers meet for unprogrammed worship, as do conservatives I believe.  But this weekend we are going to a liberal meetinghouse that has planned a special Christmas-themed worship, so we'll see how much programming will be included.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook