Switch to Forum Live View Considering Becoming a Friend
4 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2009 - 10:03PM #1
Mascarpone

I was wondering... How open to converts are the Quakers? I've never met one, but I have done my research and feel like meetings may be the place for me to find God... Also, I am a 16 year old girl. I have been mocked in the past by other religions claiming that because I am a teenager, I cannot really be sincere in converting or even considering their religion. Would the Quakers respond in this way? I'm a very nonconfrontational person, I can't stand the thought of being told that I don't know how I feel.

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 10:26AM #2
kevin roberts

Nov 24, 2009 -- 10:03PM, Mascarpone wrote:

I was wondering... How open to converts are the Quakers? I've never met one, but I have done my research and feel like meetings may be the place for me to find God... Also, I am a 16 year old girl. I have been mocked in the past by other religions claiming that because I am a teenager, I cannot really be sincere in converting or even considering their religion. Would the Quakers respond in this way? I'm a very nonconfrontational person, I can't stand the thought of being told that I don't know how I feel.

Thanks!

Hey Mascarpone-

All Quakers will welcome converts or any interested people, and God doesn't care how old you are, or even if you have picture I.D.

There are different kinds of Quakers, and you will find that they hold different kinds of beliefs. Here is an unbiased place that will let you learn more about what different kinds of Quakers believe:

www.quakerinfo.com/index.shtml

Or ask questions here. There are a number of Friends that monitor this site and would be happy to talk with you about the Society, including me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 10:04PM #3
Mascarpone

Thank you so much!

I've done a lot of research, but I can't seem to find information on Quaker views of movies, video games, comic books, etc, all of which I am a fan of. Would they go okay with the things I'm interested in? Also, I'm attending my first meeting Sunday. What should I wear?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 11:55PM #4
kevin roberts

Most Quakers wouldn't be concerned about movies, video games, and comic books, as such. They would likely ask, "What's the content?" instead. The old days of Quakers disowning people for contact with the world are generally gone. You'll find that there's a bell curve with different Friends Meetings or Friends Churches on that stuff.

But the different modern branches of Quakers are quite different in belief and practice, so you should look into exactly what sort of Quakers you're going to be meeting with. You may discover that they're a good fit, or that you're being led to associate with one of the other branches.

On what to wear, wear what you're comfortable in. There's no dress code. I wear whatever I happen to put on, but all my clothing is identical, so I suppose I cheat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 9:00PM #5
BibleDale

I,too  am thinking  about  joining a Quaker Meeting in New York City.I have beenattending for  almost ayear     now, but   I am a little apprehensive about joining.Unlike others, I  come from   the other end of the  spectrum. I like  to dress up when I go to Meeting     and      I try                to   abstain from most  worldly  pleasures,except         listening   to classical music and            buying  nice clothes.I       also       don't    believe that everybody who is "good"is going    to    heaven. I    also read and listen  to     my Bible daily.However,I enjoy the unprogrammed    meeting and find the   Friends warm and  easy  to  be  with. However, I'mtreated like an outsider      because Ihaven't         joined yet.They're      always telling me   thank   you for doing my duty and  I  feel strange when   they do  that.   Do you think  I can belong?                   

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook