Switch to Forum Live View Blue Lodges? No other way to start?
5 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2009 - 7:35PM #1
EyesoftheWorld

Hi! I went to an open house and was informed I had to start masonry in a blue lodge and proceed through three degrees before I could go into either a Scottish or York Rite lodge.

I don't really think I was being lied to, but is this truly the only way to start?

What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2009 - 2:22AM #2
gnosticlight

In the authentic fraternity of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons you must approach a Master Mason and divulge your desire to petition. Should he find you "worthy" he will become your voucher. You must then be inspected by two other Masters, Brethren of the Lodge you wish to join.

Should your petition be accepted you will be assigned an instructor. In the tradition of the Craft you will receive your "work," always mouth to ear which alone is fitting. Any further information should come from he who vouches for you.

If this be your course, do not take it lightly...even if every member of the Lodge you wish to join seems to do so. If you are duly and truly initiated, passed and raised in keeping with the ancient rite, you will be bestowed something that no man can take from you. Then you may petition the York and/or Scottish Rites respectively.

One last bit of advice... If a Mason approaches you to encourage your petition and you did not ask first, or if this is something offered to you "in a day," then take it or leave it as you wish, but know this: you will achieve to the degrees in name only. In the end you may find that you hold the Craft in disdain. The true work, dear seeker, is a labor of love.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2012 - 2:28PM #3
cemab4y

The information you received is quite accurate. The first step in Masonry is the Blue (Craft) lodge. You make a petition  to the lodge, and then you complete the first three degrees of Masonry. The Master Mason (third) degree is the "black belt" of Masonry.

Once you are a Master Mason in good standing, you may petition the York Rite and/or the Scottish Rite. The degrees taught in these rites, amplify the lessons taught in the Craft Lodge.

There are over 100 (one hundred) appendant and concordant bodies in Freemasonry.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook