Switch to Forum Live View Few Simple Questions For Liberal Quakers
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2008 - 2:03AM #1
seekingenlightenment525
Ok I have been at this for months about studying religion and it is getting annoying being unsure of everything I am thinking. I started reading about Quakers the other day and it sounds interesting and very in line with my beliefs on peace and human rights, but I have a few questions about Friends.

1. What are your views on swearing and music that swears [metal for example]?
2. What are your views on homosexuality?
3. What are your views on science and advancing science research on things like stem cell research?
4. What are your views on pre-marital sex? I only ask because this is technically a Christian group if my research is right.
5. How tolerant are you of other religions and their practices? Again I ask mainly because I practice rituals that are things most religions would look down on, like meditation, Hindu chants and Celtic Holidays.
6. Do you have any specific commandments to follow like the Ten in the Bible?

Thank you for reading and possibly responding. Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2008 - 8:46PM #2
CuriousAndQuestioning
I only know the answer to questions 2, 5, and 6, but any help is better than none, I suppose.

2) Liberal Quakers believe in equal rights for all people, including homosexuals, so there aren't any problems on that front.

5) Friends are very tolerant of other beliefs and welcome visitors to meetings and such. They also don't actively proselytize, but will answer any questions someone of a different faith might have.

6) Quakers avoid dogma and creeds, so there aren't any "commandments", but there are Testimonies (Simplicity, Peace, Integrity (or Truth), Equality, some others) that act as shared views and things to live by.

I hope I helped.
Anyone else can feel free to correct me if the information I gave was incorrect , but I'm pretty sure I was accurate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2008 - 5:35PM #3
whitephoenix
Hi m8. It doesn't really matter what my views are within quakerism because I sense that your reason for asking is to get afeel for quakerism, and me answering will not provide any sense of quakerism, only a sense of myself.

Within quakerism you're free to think & feel as you consider to be most useful for the nurturing of God-like qualities/ living (and I use the word God as a metaphor as I don't believe in the existence of God).....this is what is important.

May I also say that whilst Quakerism has Christian roots, it is not Christian any more than I am Christian by my Christian roots..........(and my roots are big ones)

Lastly...the practice of silence is in my opinion the finest spiritual practice known to humanity, and it's facilitation is quakerism's greatest gift, for theist, atheist and a/theist alike....
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2008 - 8:39PM #4
Mind_Zenith
Hey!
Have a look around the internet for information on us Hicksite/Liberals. I reckon you should check out the Friends General Conference (FGC) website for something more in-depth:www.fgcquaker.org

I'll answer your questions based on *~my~* beliefs and experiences, as well as a bit of what I've picked up from other Quakers.

No. I don't see anything wrong with metal. Given the chance I'd marry my Archdemon Album. I don't swear unless to myself: I think it's against the Simplicity and Peace Testemonies. My opinion though.

We believe That-Of-God-In-Everyone, and so we're quick to say homosexuals are just the same as anyone else. I'd say this is universal, but I'm not sure. You'd never be told not to be a Quaker if you are homosexual. Ever.

3. What are your views on science and advancing science research on things like stem cell research?
As long as it hurts no one and progresses humanity, I see no problem with it. If the end product hurt others, I'd go out of my way to stop it.

4. What are your views on pre-marital sex? I only ask because this is technically a Christian group if my research is right.
I would see "marriage" as "conjoining". This is what the word originally meant. I would see a proper covenant, as love, to be suitible for marriage. However, one must listen to the inner light for this.

5. How tolerant are you of other religions and their practices? Again I ask mainly because I practice rituals that are things most religions would look down on, like meditation, Hindu chants and Celtic Holidays.
I've dont many things to get me closer to the Inward Christ. Meditation I use a lot, and I would even say our Waitings Upon God is a type of meditative state. I occationally use rituals I've learnt from my family (mostly Wiccan) to get a sense of peace, which helps in my daily Sittings/Waitings and prayers.

I would say the Four Testemonies (Peace, Equality, Integrity(Truth), Simplicity) work as a good rule of thumb for me. However, I love the life and teachings of Jesus Christ (not of his desciples) and use these when relating to the Inner Light and to my own life.

Hope this helps. Remember, this is from ***my*** experience, and no one elses. Yours will differ.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2009 - 7:47PM #5
RattlinBones
While I don't particularly like swearing myself, I have no problem listening to music with swearing in it.  I believe that music is artistic expression that comes from the soul of the people making it (well, not all music) and that it is up to the artists themselves to censor their work wherever they feel it to be necessary.  I have no control over this, what I can control is what I choose to listen to. 

Homosexual, heterosexual...doesn't bother me.  We're all equal! 

I believe that humans are blessed with intelligence and problem solving skills, along with creativity.  God gave us these gifts, as well as a moral compass, an inner light, and as long as scientific advancement follows a morally guided path, I see no problem with it. 

I have lived in three loving relationships in which pre-marital sex was practiced.  This was done with love and respect for each other.  With the exception of one of my partners, I am still good friends with them, so I don't think any harm was done. 

I myself practice regular Buddhist meditation, and utilise tarot cards, not as an esoteric fortune-telling device, but to help me focus my thoughts and consider problems from different angles.  Kind of like deBono's Thinking Hats, which I don't think anybody would argue are evil. 

Follow your own inner light, speak the truth, harm none...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2009 - 10:13AM #6
PaulaEdwina

Don't really care one way or the other. In my college days I loved Ministry, and in my younger days I was a real Slayer, Anthrax, Guns 'n Roses type.

My views on homosexuality are similar to those I have on hair color.

I'm a biologist and I teach biology.

My views on pre-marital sex are similar to those I have on hair color.

*shrug*.  My meeting has some wiccans, pagans and at least 1 druid. I myself am what I like to call a Quaker Humanist - I'm essentially an atheist.

My personal favorite;

Bide the wiccan law ye must,

In perfect love in perfect trust.

Eight words the wiccan rede fulflil;

and ye harm none do what ye will.

Lest in thy self defense it be,

ever mind this rule of three.

Follow this with mind and heart,

and merry we meet and merry we part.

Paula

Quick Reply
Cancel