Switch to Forum Live View No meeting group near me?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 7:25AM #1
EvansMomma
So, the past year or so I've been trying to learn about different religious systems, to find the one that I feel resonates with me. Out of any I've read about or heard about, the SoF seems the best fit. In any other religion I look at, there's much that I say "Hey that is SO true" but also much that I say "Uh that won't work for me". I don't really want to go to a church where I only believe part of what the congregation believes, ya know?

But the Liberal Quaker faith speaks to me, truly. And anything I read about Quakers, I say "Yes...yes...I believe that too...oh and that too". But not yet have I seen anything that makes me go "Hmm maybe not for me after all". So this is good, right? Well...not totally. I cannot find a Quaker meeting anywhere near me. The closest one would make it about a 4 hr drive or so. *sigh*

So I guess I'm on my own to learn as much as I can. I'm trying to find online communities, books, anything that would be a good start to learn from. Does anyone have any suggestions as to reading material I could pick up? I'm looking specifically for things like: history of the religion, inspirational readings, 'day to day life' as a Quaker...just anything that will help me in my learning phase.

I AM planning to (hopefully) attend a meeting before the holidays, if I can manage to make the trip. If not, I am definitely going to attend one after the holidays are done, in January. So it might be a few months before I get to make the trip and experience the meeting firsthand. In the meantime, I really would love to set my foot on this path and learn what I can learn.

Thanks for any help, or advice or input.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 4:44PM #2
phxFriend
If you think there are others in your area interested in meeting and learning more about Quakerism, you might contact the meeting closest to you and ask if they are willing to take on a worship group under the care of their meeting.  A worship group does not have to have all the structure that a "meeting" has, and any business of the worship group is handled by the "parent" meeting.  The Friends General Conference bookstore has reference material that you might find helpful in researching options.

phxFriend
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 4:44PM #3
phxFriend
If you think there are others in your area interested in meeting and learning more about Quakerism, you might contact the meeting closest to you and ask if they are willing to take on a worship group under the care of their meeting.  A worship group does not have to have all the structure that a "meeting" has, and any business of the worship group is handled by the "parent" meeting.  The Friends General Conference bookstore has reference material that you might find helpful in researching options.

phxFriend
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2008 - 2:15AM #4
Starchild
Hi All

www.quaker faithandfellowship.org is an online site where meetings are held daily. Meeting times are posted inGMT. I found it enjoyable to meet the other people for tea and coffee after the 30 min in the meeting room. 8 people joined the meeting from all over the world. It is a blessing to those of us whom have no physical meeting to attend.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook