Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View US Feds and Zimbabwe Looking for Lion-Killer
3 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2015 - 11:02AM #11
Merope

Just further to the extradition issue, the penalty for poaching under Zimbabwe law is a $20,000 fine and imprisonment for up to 10 years, according to NBC News.  Palmer has not been charged with a crime.

On Friday, the State Department told the AP that, as far as State knows, the US has not extradited anyone to Zimbabwe — and Zimbabwe has not extradited anyone in the US — since the extradition treaty took effect in 2000.

time.com/3981105/cecil-lion-walter-palme...

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2015 - 4:45PM #12
Merope

The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority has now suspended the hunting of lions, leopards, and elephants outside the Hwange National Park.  Bow and arrow hunts have also been suspended unless they are approved by the wildlife authority.

It's unclear how the new measures would be enforced or whether they went into effect before Jericho's death — if Jericho was, indeed, killed.

"Following the illegal killing of an iconic lion, Cecil ... it has become necessary that the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority further tightens hunting regulations" in areas outside the park, the organization said in a statement. 

The authority is also now investigating the death of another lion in April that may have been illegal and only recently came to light.

www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/0...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2015 - 5:00PM #13
Svetlana

It doesn't matter to me in the least that to hunt Cecil was illegal, it is a contemptible thing to do regardless of any laws.  I'm heartbroken that Cecil is dead, but would have felt no less heartbroken if it had been a nameless lion on the "legal" side of that park boundary.  That scum like Palmer exists is what I find so horrifying.  I do NOT mean hunters who hunt for food or to control herd populations, I mean hunters like Palmer who kill to make themselves feel bigger between the legs (they seem oblivious to the fact that it shrinks them to less than nothing, but they're not overly intelligent in the first place).

I cannot find the words to describe something as low and contemptible as Palmer, and I cannot think of anything bad enough to do to him to punish him.  I do wish on him the worst thing I can think of, that he wake up tomorrow morning, look in the mirror, and see himself as the indescribably contemptible thing that he truly is.  May God damn him to that.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2015 - 8:01PM #14
TemplarS

Svetlana, +1.

I believe there is something seriously not right with people like this.  Animal cruelty is one of the warning signs of a psychopathic personality. 

As to what to do with him, well, that is obvious. Grant Zimbabwe's extradition request, and let Robert Mugabe have at him.  Mugabe routinely makes the list of the world's worst dictators- let him do something beneficial for once.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2015 - 1:23AM #15
in_my_opinion

Aug 1, 2015 -- 8:01PM, TemplarS wrote:

Svetlana, +1.

I believe there is something seriously not right with people like this.  Animal cruelty is one of the warning signs of a psychopathic personality. 

As to what to do with him, well, that is obvious. Grant Zimbabwe's extradition request, and let Robert Mugabe have at him.  Mugabe routinely makes the list of the world's worst dictators- let him do something beneficial for once.  

+1, on all counts. Svetlana and TemplarS!

It will hopefully have a chilling effect on poaching and trophy hunting in general.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2015 - 12:47AM #16
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook