Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View And this is why I loathe PETA
4 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2013 - 3:47PM #1
Ebon

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals plans to run ads in bus shelters showing a traditional Thanksgiving image to adults and a different, bloody, image to children, the organization said in a news release.

The ads incorporate lenticular technology, so that people 4-feet, 3-inches and shorter will see an image different from the mother carving a cooked turkey in front of two children. Shorter viewers will see the scene with the two children spattered with blood and horrified as the mother cuts into a live bird.

Providence Journal

There are ways to promote vegetarianism/veganism. But PETA long ago stopped promoting those and became this factory of outrageous fanaticism that alienates infinitely more people than they have ever or will ever convince. I'm not even sure they're trying to promote anything anymore, they just want to feel smug and self-righteous about their bullying. They long ago stopped being missionaries and became inquisitors. And they kill more animals than they ever saved.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2013 - 7:32PM #2
Iwantamotto

Unless you're out in the sticks, that's not even how it happens anyway.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2013 - 6:51AM #3
DotNotInOz
Let's see...we've largely decided that it's not ethical for commercials targeting children to push unhealthy food choices, but scaring the crap out of little kids is okay and will get them to become vegetarians.

Somehow, the ethics of terrifying toddlers seem a bit dubious to me.

If I were a little kid seeing one of those ads, I'd sure as hell stay away from Mommy when she had a knife in her hand no matter how much I want a PB&J.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2013 - 8:47AM #4
Girlchristian

Nov 7, 2013 -- 3:47PM, Ebon wrote:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals plans to run ads in bus shelters showing a traditional Thanksgiving image to adults and a different, bloody, image to children, the organization said in a news release.

The ads incorporate lenticular technology, so that people 4-feet, 3-inches and shorter will see an image different from the mother carving a cooked turkey in front of two children. Shorter viewers will see the scene with the two children spattered with blood and horrified as the mother cuts into a live bird.

Providence Journal

There are ways to promote vegetarianism/veganism. But PETA long ago stopped promoting those and became this factory of outrageous fanaticism that alienates infinitely more people than they have ever or will ever convince. I'm not even sure they're trying to promote anything anymore, they just want to feel smug and self-righteous about their bullying. They long ago stopped being missionaries and became inquisitors. And they kill more animals than they ever saved.

Ten years ago, I stopped being a member of PETA for this reason and they've just continued to get worse.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2013 - 12:23PM #5
BeerLover

PETA animal shelters are death chambers.

I support PETA's right to post ridiculous signs like this- 100%.  This is America, after all.  And I agree that they end up alienating more people than it convinces.  They actually ran a "Got Beer?" campaign on college campuses to get students to drink less milk and more beer.  I'm good with that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2013 - 4:36PM #6
Shusha

Why would you have to show two different images?  If you want to create propaganda about carving into live turkeys - why try to hide it?  Just put it out there in the open. 

The purpose is obviously to indoctrinate young children and prevent a conversation about the pros and cons of a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle honestly with children by not allowing parents to see the same image. 

Dialogue is good.  Indoctrination is bad. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2013 - 4:52PM #7
Druac

Nov 8, 2013 -- 4:36PM, Shusha wrote:

Dialogue is good.  Indoctrination is bad. 

+1

PETA has turned into some weird fringe group that decided the best way to get publicity is to do really stupid shit.

That being said, Religions of all kinds are the #1 example I can think of in the case of your statement I quoted.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2013 - 10:22PM #8
rangerken

I'm a long time member of and supporter of the ASPCA. PETA, however, is a fringe group of whacked out extremists who negate their good work by over reaching and, I think, crass stupidity.

And, having in the past prepared and enjoyed a turkey dinner that began with a live turkey, I am so unimpressed by PETAS's antics. And yes, they apparently don't know how a turkey is killed, which, just by the way, involves very little blood spray, and the catching, for later use, of what drains after the bird is quickly, efficiently, and painlessly killed.

And by the way again, it most certainly IS possible, and not at all difficult, to kill an animal quickly so that it feels no pain and isn't even aware that it is threatened. In fact, among the most terrifying and painful deaths come at the hands of predators who often begin eating their prey BEFORE the animal is fully dead!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2013 - 3:56PM #9
Iwantamotto
That is absolutely not true!  We know very well that all carnivores love a good salad, and are just portrayed as evil carnivores by the media!
Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook