Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Connecticut Abolishes Death Penalty
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 1:07PM #21
vra

I know I'm aging myself just a wee bit, but around 30 years ago or so, the FBI estimated that around 10% of all people in prison were innocent of what they were convicted on.  I have no clue if that's correct or not, but it does point out the fact that our criminal justice system can indeed make mistakes. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 1:56PM #22
Bodean

Apr 30, 2012 -- 8:40PM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 30, 2012 -- 7:34PM, solfeggio wrote:

A recent survey has shown that 62% of the people surveyed approved of the death penalty for people convicted of murder.

They approve until themselves, or a loved one, is sentenced to death.

... by the same token, they oppose until a loved one is the victim of a crime.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 2:07PM #23
teilhard

The ultimate Question re: "Execution" is NOT The Death "Penalty," per se, but public Safety ...

SOME (thank God, few) Persons demonstrate vividly by their Actions that they are DANGEROUS and so cannot be trusted to "live and move and have their being" in open Society, but for the sake of the Safety of innocent Persons, must be locked away FOREVER ... and an even smaller Number (again, thank God) are so demonstrably dangerous that Society actively considers executing such Persons (the late Ted Bundy, e.g., comes to Mind) ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 9:41PM #24
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 2:34PM #25
rangerken

The problem with the death penalty is that it is impossible to correct a mistake! Having said that, I favor it but only IF...

1. The crime is premedidated murrder, aka first degree.

2. the crime is horrific and resulted in someone's death.

and If there was absolutely, positively, no doubt whatsoever at all about 'who done it'.

Now If life imprisonment, at for real hard labor, with ZERO amenities at all, no TV, no anything besides food, shelter and emergency ONLY medical care was an actual option THEN I'd be OK with that instead of the death penalty. In other words if life imprisonment was such that the convicted might well prefer the death penalty I'd be OK with no death penalty.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook